Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 5:08:02 PM EDT
Feinstein was actually doing something half way decent for a minute and it got shot down. I'm sure this is a dupe but some coverage of it is coming on TV tonight.

San Francisco Shuns Retired USS Iowa By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., a former San Francisco mayor, helped secure $3 million to tow the Iowa from Rhode Island to the Bay Area in 2001 in hopes of making touristy Fisherman's Wharf its new home.

But city supervisors voted 8-3 last month to oppose taking in the ship, citing local opposition to the     Iraq war and the military's stance on gays, among other things.

"If I was going to commit any kind of money in recognition of war, then it should be toward peace, given what our war is in Iraq right now," Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi said.

Feinstein called it a "very petty decision."

"This isn't the San Francisco that I've known and loved and grew up in and was born in," Feinstein said.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050821/ap_on_re_us/shunned_warship
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Feinstein called it a "very petty decision."

"This isn't the San Francisco that I've known and loved and grew up in and was born in," Feinstein said.

No, but it's the San Francisco that was bound to develop out of your ideals.

Frankenfeinstein's monster?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck SF!

Stockton will give the Ship a good home and the area will welcome the added tourist dollars...!

Officials in Stockton couldn't be happier. They've offered a dock on the river, a 90,000-square-foot waterfront building and a parking area, and hope to attract at least 125,000 annual visitors.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
[fantasy]You know what would be great?  Shut down Guantanamo Bay and move the terrorist detention facility to Alcatraz in San Fran Bay![/fantasy]

Peeing on Korans right under the liberals noses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
AHHH this story pisses me off to no end.  Its one thing to dislike the millitary. It’s another to shun the history of the people who fought and died for your freedom. Maybe those in Frisco should stop and think what life would be like without the USS Iowa. Gays were forced to wear pink triangles and herded up like cattle right alongside the Jews by Nazi Germany... I can assure you their treatment was no better by imperial Japan. Complain it’s a permanent edifice of defense spending if you want. But it is a monument in place to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to this country and our collective freedom.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You know what would be cool to see?  The USS Iowa and USS Missouri bombarding San Francisco off the map.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
We'd take it here in Iowa...
But it might clog the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a much, much better idea. Why don't we do like the Nazis did in WWII, and sail the old, retiring battleship into the harbor of our much hated enemy (Blue-State America) and start the war to take our country back right in San Francisco Bay by using her massive, 16" guns on Liberal City Hall?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The Veterans in SF are pissed at the Board of Supervisors.  Leftist leaning whiners.  It's irrelevant to the issue of Gays & the military.  It's irrelevant to the issue of Iraq.  If they were really concerned about war, they'd move to have the Liberty Ship, Jeremiah O' Brien and the sub, SS Pampanito moved out.  Then they'd have Fort Point razed as well as all the pillboxes, gun emplacements that were built to defend SF from a seaborne invasion.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Move it to Portsmouth NH.. We'll take it..

Maybe we can use it for tax controls.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You know what would be cool to see?  The USS Iowa and USS Missouri bombarding San Francisco off the map.

You made me smile, thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats right.. I just remembered..

Portsmouth, NH is also known as San Francisco East.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top