Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 4:33:37 PM EDT
So I am sitting at the comp. enjoying the vodka buzz and there is a sitcom on in the other room.
I can't hear the punch lines but I can hear the laughing every 5-10 seconds.  It’s just driving me up the wall but at least the GS is happy.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The last funny sitcom was Seinfeld.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing like canned laughter for brain-dead sheeple.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Look, just laugh when the TV laugh track tells you too and stop all that independent thinking.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The sad part is the laughter is canned, not live. The sorry part is, 99% of current tv "comedy" is hacked out on a 5th grade level, IMO.

Comedy giants such as Sid Ceaser, Red Skelton, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, etc. have to cringe when they see (from where ever they are) the current level of garbage.

One can script the current new fall shows based on the trite Hollweird cookie-cutter method: not too-bright dad, mom who holds everything together, smart-assed kids, over-sexed neighbor, irritable & idiot boss, etc. etc.

What pisses me off is these idiots make hundreds of thousands of $$$ per year coming up with this shit!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The most recent sitcom I somewhat enjoyed was Step By Step that ran from 1991-1998.

I am more a fan of Three's Company, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Cheers, etc. That's why when I'm not watching the history channel, my tv is usually tuned to TV Land.

This new stuff just ins't very creative or funny.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The canned laugh tracks were what inspired me to quit watching TV altogether.  A stupid fucking laugh track every 5 seconds over some lame ass, sophomoric, sexual innuendo gets old after you hear the same old "joke" 2500 times.

None of the "wisecracks" you see on TV are anything that would make you laugh in real life - you'd sooner think the person was a dysfunctional idiot.

TV nowadays is full of such inane tripe that I truly worry about what it is doing to the brains of those who watch it.  No wonder most people these days operate their lives with the maturity level of a 8th grader.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The last funny sitcom was Seinfeld.

+1  I never miss an episode of Seinfeld, plus I am collecting the DVD's
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Canned laughter is the reason I cant watch TV anymore unless its one of my few favorite shows.

I fucking despise canned laughter. i almost wigged out and killed a bunch of people because of that damnedable evil canned laughter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The canned laughter is put in there so you will know when to laugh at their horrible attempts at humor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]

What's really great is that a lot of the canned laughter is from original laugh tracks recorded in the 1950s/1960s.  Listen for a distinctive laugh, memorize it, and then watch another sitcom--from the '50s through '00s.  You stand a good chance of finding that exact laugh, originally recorded at an I Love Lucy taping or some such event.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Have any of you guys seen Arrested Development?  Thats a pretty funny show.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
7 letters.

S
T
A
R
V
E
D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top