Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
So my cousin tried to quit drinking last week.
On Wednesday, he just decided to quit....on Thursday, his body went into shock and his heart stopped.

They took him off life support today at 4:00 pm
It really sucks...he was only 41.

This is the second kid his dad lost due to alcohol...they both drank themselves to death.

Prayers needed for his dad and brother.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
 My girlfriend's dad has a real bad drinking problem.  Doc told him the only way for him to quit is to enter a rehab program.  If he were to go cold turkey he would die.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Alcohol detox can kill u, its a very nasty process
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 My girlfriend's dad has a real bad drinking problem.  Doc told him the only way for him to quit is to enter a rehab program.  If he were to go cold turkey he would die.

Booze and Barbiturates are the only drugs whose withdrawal can kill you. Basically without the constant depressant in your system you have an electrical overload.

Seizures are very common and alcoholics are put on Valium or other barbiturates and then weened off.

I believe that in some small town were the jail system doesn't have the medical facilities to deal with this, they still give an alcoholic that has been arrested a few shots of whiskey throughout the day. This may be completely obsolete now, but it was common practice up until very recently.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Booze and Barbiturates are the only drugs whose withdrawal can kill you. Basically without the constant depressant in your system you have an electrical overload.

Seizures are very common and alcoholics are put on Valium or other barbiturates and then weened off.

I believe that in some small town were the jail system doesn't have the medical facilities to deal with this, they still give an alcoholic that has been arrested a few shots of whiskey throughout the day. This may be completely obsolete now, but it was common practice up until very recently.

And people act like pot will kill you.........
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#9]
i'm sorry to hear about your loss.  prayers sent.

btw,  at least he died sober.  that is honorable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, so it was the quiting drinking that killed him?

My grandfather is also an alcoholic, he is almost 70 now but he still drinks as much beer as he did when he was younger.

My family and I have all concured that it would be pointless to try to get him to quit drinking, especially at this point.

I know that sometimes when he for whatever reason doesnt drink he gets the shakes in his hands and whatnot.

He buys his beer with his SS, I figure let him have his beer, he isnt bothering anybody so why try to mess with him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And people act like pot will kill you.........

Lung cancer is no joke either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry to hear that.

I didn't know that withdrawl cold-turkey from alcohol and barbiturates can be so dangerous. Learned something new today.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Truely unfortunate. I would wager that he experienced a condition called DT or delirium tremens. When someone goes cold turkey on alcohol they will start hallucinating, or experience fever/sweating/disorientation/agitation/convulsions.

And yes, in the past, medics would give the patient a shot of whiskey.  Today, medics have powerful drugs that keep the body from going into shock. I am sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure hope his bother doesn't follow the same path
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Whoa, I never knew that going cold on alcohol could kill you.  The fact that it only took 1 day without it and his body gave up is scary too.

Quoted:

Lung cancer is no joke either.

I don't want to hijack this but eating it works just as good as smoking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Same thing happend to a Marine who served with us.

Retired/ got out, quit drinking, died 2 days later.

I am sorry for your family.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#18]
That was the report when Richard Burton died. He tried to quit everything at once- and he had a long list- and his system couldn't hack it. Moderation, moderation.

Condolences to you and your family. May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Alcohol detox can be severe at times.

Prayers sent....sorry.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#20]
You can die from not drinking alcohol??  Dayuum!
Sorry for your loss--that is horrible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The problem with alcohol detox is your heart can become VERY irregual and then fail.

Alcohol kills more people in this country then anything else....and it's legal

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So my cousin tried to quit drinking last week.
On Wednesday, he just decided to quit....on Thursday, his body went into shock and his heart stopped.

They took him off life support today at 4:00 pm
It really sucks...he was only 41.

This is the second kid his dad lost due to alcohol...they both drank themselves to death.

Prayers needed for his dad and brother.

Help them to understand, how important it was, that he died sober........

God Bless him..........
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn Sorry to hear of your loss

I have lost many friends to Alcohol.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top