Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2005 12:38:17 PM EDT
Has anyone here ever found a gun, if so what type, what happened to it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I found a Charter Arms Bulldog on the roof of a dry cleaner that I worked at as a driver. It was in the hood and we had to clean the bottles, needles and crackpipes off the roof. I found the pistol with one round fired.  I turned the gun in to the local PD. They took my fingerprints and said "thanks", never heard anymore.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I found a Colt 1911 one time. I forgot I stuck it in an old ammo can and found it about 2 years later. I thought at the time that I had too many guns but that's not possible.

As far as finding one out somewhere, nope.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]

While I didn't know them personally, I knew of several people in Denmark (farmers mostly) who had found things like Sten guns and even an MG-42, left over from the occupation/resistance during WW2.   I know the guy who found the MG turned it in, but I'm pretty sure several of the Sten guns stayed hidden away in the barn or something.  

Btw: Does it count if you misplaced one of your own guns, and then "found" it again?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]

A LONG time ago an ex-fling found an M4 that her mother's boyfriend (LEO) had given her to protect the family.  And the rest for me and black rifles, so they, is history.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I lost and found something I had forgotton about..

I had one of those dinky AR-7 survival rifles tucked away at my old apt in Jersey...

The movers came last Monday (corporate re-location; I moved)...as the movers were packing up the kitchen, I opened the cabinets above the frige...and uh, whoops! I literally said, out loud "Damn, so that's where the stupid thing went"

Totally forgot I had it...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Knew of someone jogging that found a pistol, turned it over to the police and stated he was interested in having it if it was not claimed. Thirty days later, the gun came up clean on a check and he was allowed to have it. Of course, that was 15 years ago and alot has changed. It was a colt 32 auto.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]

hell yeah! i found a USP 45 with AD date code the other day and took it home with me.

only problem is the gun store charged me before i left.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I founda marlin22 rifle  once , someone had thrown it off a small bridge .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Ever since the AWB expired, I've been finding full auto AK-47's on the playgrounds of elementary schools.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Once, about 15 years ago when I was on the way back from shooting with a friend, he was driving, we spotted a pistol laying in the road about 200 yards from the entrance to the range. We pulled over and he got out and retrived the gun. Turns out is was a Berreta 22. The one with the tip up barrel. It had scatches down one side where it had slide along the road but otherwise was in good shape. Far as I know he still has it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a Japanese Ariska rifle in an old bible camp cafeteria.  It was missing a few parts, the barrel was hacked and turned down on the end but the chrysanthemum was still intact.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My grandfather used to dig holes for Bell (when there was only one company).  He found a Colt Army .45 wrapped in oily rags about 3 feet below grade back in the day.

My uncle has it now, as Gramps passed many years ago.  Everytime I visit, he knows he has to bring it out for me to see.    
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I found a Charter Arms Bulldog on the roof of a dry cleaner that I worked at as a driver. It was in the hood and we had to clean the bottles, needles and crackpipes off the roof. I found the pistol with one round fired.  I turned the gun in to the local PD. They took my fingerprints and said "thanks", never heard anymore.

They took your prints.. pfff..
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Post pics if you can!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
well I was scuba diving in a lake once and...........
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Found a cheap black powder rifle tucked behind the water heater in one of my dad's old rental trailers we were cleaning out. He used to have about 60 units and that was one of the better discoveries.........the bad discoveries, well this isn't rotten.com so nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They took your prints.. pfff..

I imagine so they could eliminate his from suspicion among those on the gun...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Found a cheap black powder rifle tucked behind the water heater in one of my dad's old rental trailers we were cleaning out. He used to have about 60 units and that was one of the better discoveries.........the bad discoveries, well this isn't rotten.com so nevermind.

You mean you found dead guys?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What did you find?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
My Girlfriend bought a house about 2 years ago. While we were moving her stuff in, I found a S&W Model 66 .357 mag and a box of ammo in the cabinet above the refrigerator. I felt sure the previous owner forgot to take it when they moved.

The previous owner called about a week later and asked if we had found a gun in the house. He said he had told the movers to get it and they must have forgotten. I told him I found it and he asked me to leave it outside on the porch and he would come by to get it over the weekend. I'm like "Ummmm no. I will not leave a gun outside for any kid to find." This guy was a real mouth-breather. I offered him $250 for the gun and he tells me to "hold on". Then I hear him yell to his wife "Honey...do you want to sell your gun for $250?"  She says "NO!!! GO PICK UP MY GUN RIGHT NOW!!!!". So he comes and picks up the gun. What a bunch of fruit-loops.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did you find?

Thought for a second they would be mine, But I lost mine in the Atlantic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#22]
We found a .40 S&W semiauto under the hood of a rental car (Cadillac - preferred rental of gang-bangers) we were cleaning about 10 years ago, when I was an operations manager (oversaw the car cleaning guys).  I didn't care too much about guns back then, but knew enough to grab a towel and drop the mag and remove the round from the chamber.  Gave it to the GM, who turned it over to the police.  Chances that the gun has a bad history when found in a rental car are just too great to keep them, the way I see it.

Now that I think about it, we found a revolver in a glovebox once, too.

I also knew an old guy at work who was in the National Guard, and offered to get me hooked up with $150 Garands back then and I turned him down.  (I suspect they were CMP Garands) I didn't know any better back then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My honarary uncle used to find guns all the time he was a LEO!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Buddy of mine found a semi 9mm, believe it was a Cobray, on the side of a road.  

He knew absolutely nothing about guns.  

The Zytel mag was busted, couple of very minor scratches.

Called the police, told them the deal.  

They asked for the serial #, gave it to them.  

What the hell, I was calling from a pay phone and this was probably early the 90's!

They came back on the phone and told me it was clean.  

Traded it at the next gun show for a 1911A1 parts gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#25]
My GF in college was an anti... until I took her shooting

She told me a story about when she was in high school and came from Philly to the funeral / post mortem cleanout of her Uncle's house.

Her uncle was a tac officer in "a large metropolitan police department" in IL. He passed away from lung CA or cirrhosis or some such.

She told me about the "pump shotgun with a light and extra shells on the side of it" tucked behind the front door...

She described the ironing board compartment in the kitchen with "some black rifle that took magazines" inside of it... with extra mags there, of course.

Not to mention the pistols (probably "unclaimed personal property" ) that were in the kitchen...

The bedroom

The bathroom (stainless, IIRC)

The dining room sideboard.

And the cases  of "shells and ammo" from under the bed and couch.

They "got rid of it" ... not sure if they "turned it in" or if one of his co-workers "helped them out".

She told me later (after her "conversion") that if she'd known then what she knew now, a lot more would have been coming home than knick knacks and pictures.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Found a single barrel 20 ga at a lake  under a big ceader tree. Shoots well, I keep it as a car gun. I had to spray paint it after removeing the rust.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My buddy who works at a junkyard called me one day all excited and told me he found a 9mm in a car that was on the way to the crusher.

I asked what kind?

"Well lets see it says right here on the side.........Lor.......cin"

I told him to go put it back where he found it!

My grandfather passed away in Febuary. Instructions in the will were for all firearms to go to me, and then I could distribute them as I saw fit.

In the course of helping my grandmother clear the house of some of his things I found

Mint Inland M1 Carbine in his closet (knew about it)
6k of boxed surplus .30 carbine in .50 cal ammo cans
20 NIW 15 round GI mags
10 GI 15 round mags loaded, in Chinese SKS bandoleer

NIW Norinco SKS in his workroom(knew about it) in a rifle crate along with a Chinese SKS bandoleer
Homemade Sheetmetal box filled with about 10k of golden tiger steel core ammo on stripper clips.
Box was labeled "7.62 x 39 (Warsaw Pact) STEEL CORE - Emergency Use Only!!!"

that was the really neat stuff
Here is a brief overview of the rest

Charter Arms Undercover .38 spl
Colt Cobra in .38 spl (did not know about it) tucked in the ceiling tiles in the basement
Some french 12 gauge side by side with serial number of "00003"
Mossberg 185a 20 gauge
Thames Arms Revolver .32 S&W
Davis Arms Derringer in .38 spl
Winchester Model 67 in .22 Short/.22 Long/.22 Long Rifle
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My buddy who works at a junkyard called me one day all excited and told me he found a 9mm in a car that was on the way to the crusher.

I asked what kind?

My grandfather passed away in Febuary. Instructions in the will were for all firearms to go to me, and then I could distribute them as I saw fit.

In the course of helping my grandmother clear the house of some of his things I found

Mint Inland M1 Carbine in his closet (knew about it)
6k of boxed surplus .30 carbine in .50 cal ammo cans
20 NIW 15 round GI mags
10 GI 15 round mags loaded, in Chinese SKS bandoleer

NIW Norinco SKS in his workroom(knew about it) in a rifle crate along with a Chinese SKS bandoleer
Homemade Sheetmetal box filled with about 10k of golden tiger steel core ammo on stripper clips.

that was the really neat stuff
Here is a brief overview of the rest

Charter Arms Undercover .38 spl
Colt Cobra in .38 spl (did not know about it) tucked in the ceiling tiles in the basement
Some french 12 gauge side by side with serial number of "00003"
Mossberg 185a 20 gauge
Thames Arms Revolver .32 S&W
Davis Arms Derringer in .38 spl
Winchester Model 67 in .22 Short/.22 Long/.22 Long Rifle

Sheeeeeeeeeeit! Feel like parting with some of that steel core ammo?

My great-uncle passed away about ten years ago. My uncle is holding his guns for my grandparents (he lives with them since they need help now and nobody is about to send them to a retirement home) and has told me about a few of them. Supposedly I inherit all the firearms when my grandparents die, but I feel pretty sure my uncle is going to hold on to some of them anyway. Which is fine with me, because whether or not he kicks the bucket soon I get to inherit part of the family history.

One gun is Zulu, a damascus double-barrel 12-gauge shotgun that has been around for... Crap, nobody knows old this gun is. It was old enough that my great-grandmother was worried it would explode on her when she used it to drive away a guy trying to break into her house. It's the family shotgun and until recently kept its ceremonial place by the front door of the house for generations.

Another is a double-barrel 8-gauge shotgun with some steel shells and paper shells, unfired. Granddad says my great-grandfather traded his old Colt Army revolver for it during the Depression so that he'd have a gun he could hunt with. Apparently, it's a professional plume hunter's shotgun more than anything else.

What I'm most interested is my great-uncle's Colt Army M1911A1 that he carried in Vietnam. Apparently, although he never said anything about it to anyone, my uncle was a minor war hero and that pistol carried him through the war more than any other gun he'd carried. In fact, according to my grandmother, it saved his life on more than occasion. I would dearly love to have that pistol for myself someday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]
2nd hand story but completely true. My friend  frequents auctions weekly. At a recent aution he bid on a trunk of old WWII stuff. It turned out to be a bunch of stuff from an ATC
Air Transport Command AAF  Vet.  He won the auction, and in the trunk were boots, gloves, maps, a helmet, uniform bits and pieces, and 2 WWII Era flight suits. In one of the flight suits leg pocket was an old 1930s colt automatic pistol. It was in like new condition and he was shickled titless. He payed 25 bucks for the trunk of goodies...  I saw it in person, and he's one Lucky Bastage!

myitinaw
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked what kind?

Sheeeeeeeeeeit! Feel like parting with some of that steel core ammo?

I'm following the Old Man's instructions - EMERGENCY USE ONLY
I think you and I know what he meant by that.
If you're in my AO and the SHTF, you're welcome to some.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#32]
My aunt has my grandfather's service revolver from his days in the PD. He told her to give it to me before he passed away.

But she's "forgotten where it went" when she packed to move a few years ago.

[dr evil]riiiiiiiiiight[/dr evil]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Just before my uncle passed away he gave us keys to his place, along with a cousin of his who was to get his computer stuff and a few other things.  After his death we went to his house to clean up and found that all 8 guns were gone, along with all his reloading supplies, and thousands of live rounds.  We called his cousin and asked what he did with them and he said he took them to the police department.  Tried to get the info as far as to which department, then he said he sold them at a garage sale.  Who knows what really happened, but while cleaning I found a m1934 Beretta .380 under a shelf, and I love that gun because of who it came from.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a Charter .38spl and a Jennings .25 under the seat of a rental car a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The lesson in all of this is if you are to inherit something, put your hands on it as fast as possible.  When a friend of mine's grandfather died, the grandmother was a bit senile, and got nervous about the "guns".  This guy was a former cop, reloader, and avid shooter.  She called the town police, and asked what to do.  They said they'd come over and get them.  The story as told to me was that it became a shopping trip for the cops.  Half the department was there picking the place clean.  They left most of the reloading equip (friend got that), and a pistol hidden behind the work bench.  The will did not matter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#36]
My father in law found an SKS on the side of a dirt/gravel road out in the country where he lived.  Cleaned up real nice and a real good shooter too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I found a 1911 under the seat of a vehicle I was working on once .
It was pretty badly rusted , but still cocked and locked .
I didn't mess with it too much , other then trying to move
the safety but it was frozen solid . So I put it in a plastic
bag and left it on the floor in the vehicle and noted it
on the repair order .

Later that afternoon when the customer came to pick
up the vehicle and a large shitstorm ensued with the guy
claiming we planted it in his vehicle . The police were
called and when they got there they wanted a statement
from me as to how and where I found it .  I told them and even
showed them the rust stain on the carpet in the outline
of a 1911 .

We found out a few weeks later that the guy had been
arrested the year before on a DV charge where his Ex
had said he pulled a gun on her , but it was dropped
because there was no record of him ever owning a handgun .

I never did find out what happened after that
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
on the repair order .

of a 1911 .

Should have pistol whipped that bastage,  "This is from Mr.J.M.B!"  damn shame waste of a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
on the repair order .

of a 1911 .

Should have pistol whipped that bastage,  "This is from Mr.J.M.B!"  damn shame waste of a 1911.

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Once, about 15 years ago when I was on the way back from shooting with a friend, he was driving, we spotted a pistol laying LYING in ON the road about 200 yards from the entrance to the range. We pulled over and he got out and retrived the gun. Turns out is was a Berreta 22. The one with the tip up barrel. It had scatches down one side where it had slide along the road but otherwise was in good shape. Far as I know he still has it.

Probably tossed by Mafia hitman.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
A few years back I found a Remington Model 550 .22 cal rifle at the local dump.  Looked like someone had cleaned out the garage and the rifle went out with the rest of the junk. hinking.gif  The outside was pretty rusted, but the bore was protected by all the fouling and cleaned up good.  I stripped the whole thing, cleaned it up and it works great and shoots very well.  It is an older one with no serial number.  It has the aperture sights - a fun gun to shoot!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#42]
A good friend of mine and I went to an old fossil-hunting site in South Texas and found a 1st gen. Colt 1911A1, early serials and everything.  It had some mud caked around it, as it had been buried for some time, but he shook it off a little bit then racked the slide.  It took some force but it broke free, and that wasn't even the best part.  There was still a mag with rounds in it, and the pistol itself was functional (much to my behest, he fired it and it cycled).  He still has it to this day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#44]
found a S&W revolver while SCUBA diving under 6 span bridge in Elkhart, IN.   Yup,  according to the police it was hot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The lesson in all of this is if you are to inherit something, put your hands on it as fast as possible.  When a friend of mine's grandfather died, the grandmother was a bit senile, and got nervous about the "guns".  This guy was a former cop, reloader, and avid shooter.  She called the town police, and asked what to do.  They said they'd come over and get them.  The story as told to me was that it became a shopping trip for the cops.  Half the department was there picking the place clean.  They left most of the reloading equip (friend got that), and a pistol hidden behind the work bench.  The will did not matter.

At least the cops got it they probably kept them/gave them to fellow cops, they usually don't torch guns if they were given to the officer, and not used in a crime! True story: My honarary uncle (the former LEO) gave my mom a R&G .38, she hated it and wanted it torched, I could not let her torch a pistol no matter how shitty it is, so I had a longtime adult friend of mine who's a LEO take the gun in return for giving it a good home. He says he still has it in his private collection!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A good friend of mine and I went to an old fossil-hunting site in South Texas and found a 1st gen. Colt 1911A1, early serials and everything.  It had some mud caked around it, as it had been buried for some time, but he shook it off a little bit then racked the slide.  It took some force but it broke free, and that wasn't even the best part.  There was still a mag with rounds in it, and the pistol itself was functional (much to my behest, he fired it and it cycled).  He still has it to this day.

What site is this? I'm interesting in both fossils and Colt 1911A1's.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What site is this? I'm interesting in both fossils and Colt 1911A1's.

It was near Eagle Pass, TX.  They call it the "Monte", not sure exactly how to get there, but many people in the area are familiar with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Found the metal to an M14 in Area J, Ft. Bragg NC around '82-83. The wood was long gone and the metal was rusted. Turned it in to the 1st Sgt.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I found a brand new, never been shot, Marlin 1895 in .45-70 in a closet at my grandparents place.  It was still in the box and everything.  My grandmother didnt know anything about it, but we figured my grandfather bought it before he passed away.

Anyways, she sold it to me for $250

I added the shitty scope, sling, and buttstock shellholder myself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#50]
 Last summer while fishing on the river I found a sawed off H&R single shot 12ga with a barrel length of about 8 inches. I didn't even touch the thing I just called the local Sheriff and he came out and bagged it up. He said there had been a meth lab in the area that was busted about a month ago and it was probably connected to that somehow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top