Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 12:25:44 PM EDT
State tropper stopped me this morning on the way to work and wrote me ticket for doing 72 in a 65 mph speed zone. He was doing his job, I was speeding and got a ticket. I can live with the ticket, but the attitude he displayed really pissed me off.

He ask for my license and prof of insurance in which I complied without attitude, then he proceeded to tell me what I had done wrong, (which I knew I was guilty of). He then ask if I had ever had a speeding ticket before. I replied that I had never had one before. He said thats what they all say and your getting one today buddy. I responded that I was being truthful that I had never had a traffic citation in 28 yrs of driving. His response was "whatever thats going to change today".

My name is not buddy its Mr.... to Officer..... I for one did not appreciate his attitude or condescending remarks. This is what gives the good Leo's a bad name in my opinion. I know Leo's deal with the scum of the earth for the most part but alienating the decent people doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Cue the blue line.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly.  There are very good LEO's out there but there are a few bad apples that give LE a bad name.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
were do you live in AL, will?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a syndrome I fail to grasp. Why do people speed on the way TO work? That's fucked up right there. It's just work, folks. You should be speeding on the way HOME to see your family!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
north of mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
probably got picked on in high school.  you are the better person, you showed some class.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is a syndrome I fail to grasp. Why do people speed on the way TO work? That's fucked up right there. It's just work, folks. You should be speeding on the way HOME to see your family!

Some of us worry about being late and have no family at home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]

That's it?  No dog shot?  No taser or baton/pepper spray? Not even handcuffs and a good dog/vehicle search by the "JBT"?

All that because he called you "Buddy"?  You should see what I'm called.  I get regular PM's that would get the poster's mouth powerwashed  by their mom.  I fail to see how that fosters an"Us Vs Them" scenario.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Why did he even ask the question if he was just going to berate your answer?  Sounds like a jerkwad to me.  I've been treated courteously whenever I was pulled over.

"Take their money or their dignity, but not both." is the line I've heard some cops use in how they handle traffic stops.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Try writing a really professional letter to the chief.  Admit that you were speeding (72 in a 65  ), and tell him that you are not protesting the ticket, and you are not asking for/demanding anything - but that you just felt that the officer's conduct was a little unprofessional, and you wanted him to know.

ETA: I've always been treated very profesionally and courteously by officers on the rare occasions when I've been pulled over.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a time that I have to be at work.  I don't have one to be home.  Pretty simple, really.

When was the last time your wife wrote you up for being three minutes late getting home?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Some of us worry about being late and have no family at home.

How late would you be if you drove the speed limit compared to how late you'll be getting pulled over, getting a records check, and being written a ticket?

And as for the blue line rushing in, I agree that the guy was a dick. Sometimes you can't help a sarcastic remark if you're taking a lot of attitude, but in this case it was uncalled for. Especially when he ran you and found out you had a clean record. Actually, he probably didn't - for fear of being proven wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Were did you get stopped?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You can't even get a ticket here for just doing 7 miles an hour over the limit even in a school zone! Sounds like the guy was having a bad day and taking it out on you.

Just think of it as a speeding tax.

Just a guess but if it was a 65 mph zone here it was probably a construction zone. They have been hitting those here hard and HEAVY. A word of advice don't speed in a construction zone on an AL interstate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just a guess but if it was a 65 mph zone here it was probably a construction zone. They have been hitting those here hard and HEAVY. A word of advice don't speed in a construction zone on an AL interstate.

I got the ticket north of Mobile, not in a construction zone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Take it to court. Even if you were speeding a violation as small as that is a friggin joke. If you've never recieved a moving violation before you'll probably get it reduced.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
probably got picked on in high school.  you are the better person, you showed some class.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the ticket north of Mobile, not in a construction zone.

Damn, most I know won't even pull out till you are at least 10 over.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That's it?  No dog shot?  No taser or baton/pepper spray? Not even handcuffs and a good dog/vehicle search by the "JBT"?

All that because he called you "Buddy"?  You should see what I'm called.  I get regular PM's that would get the poster's mouth powerwashed  by their mom.  I fail to see how that fosters an"Us Vs Them" scenario.

As far as I'm concerned its not a us vs them. I admit I was wrong (by 7 mph)but treat me with the same respect that I show you. That goes for Leo's and non Leo's alike.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Take it to court. Even if you were speeding a violation as small as that is a friggin joke. If you've never recieved a moving violation before you'll probably get it reduced.

Reduced to what? I once wrote a guy for 2 over the limit. He was giving me the one finger wave as he went by.

FTR: 95% of tickets I wrote were for 20+ over.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I'm concerned its not a us vs them. I admit I was wrong (by 7 mph)but treat me with the same respect that I show you. That goes for Leo's and non Leo's alike.

That's exactly 100% correct...you want the public to show you some respect , well respect is a two way street and wearing a badge doesn't automatically qualify you to get if you don't give...The LEOs have a tough job, no doubt about that....its all about being PROFESSIONAL
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Cue the blue line.

I'm here!

My advice to WilliamTell.....if you honestly feel that the officer was rude to you, write a nice letter to his boss.  In fact, just cut and paste what you wrote here.

He was in fact "just doing his job", but if he actually said those things, he was out of line.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reduced to what? I once wrote a guy for 2 over the limit. He was giving me the one finger wave as he went by.

FTR: 95% of tickets I wrote were for 20+ over.

NICE !!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why did he even ask the question if he was just going to berate your answer?  

I know. What is with the 20 questions routine? Just STFU and write the ticket.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck the JBTs
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Only cops make cops look bad.

If a cop gives a ticket for 2mph over, they deserve the middle finger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Only cops make cops look bad.

If a cop gives a ticket for 2mph over, they deserve the middle finger.

He got the ticket after the finger. Every time I saw him afterwards he didn't wave.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#30]
In his eyes you're probably just one of many fucktards he has to deal with on a daily basis. Don't break the law, or when you get caught don't try to be a wiseass. When they start the 20 questions bit I would just give him back his attitude.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Why not send a registered letter to the troop commander in your district and advise them of the situation?  An officer should carry himself professionally at all times, and if he is not conducting himself in a professional manner then he deserves to have a complaint filed against his record.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#32]
From my limited understanding of police work (very limited), the 20 questions routine is to determine if you're trying to hide something or if you're nervous.

For example, I was pulled over for doing 61/45 by the local PD.  Two cops in the cruiser.  It was ~8am and I was on my way to work, similar to your situation.  The first cop approached the driver's window and asked for my DL/ins/registration.  He asked me where I was going.  When I replied "to work" he asked "where do you work?".  I told him.  He then told me to sit tight.  He and his partner went back to the cruiser.

They returned <10 min later.  This time it was his partner who apporached the driver's window.  Again, he asked me where I was going and why I was in such a hurry.  I told him I was going to work and that I didn't want to be late.  Again, he asked me where that was and I told him.

I was let off with a written warning.

Like I said, they do this questioning routine to see if you're making it up as you go b/c you're trying to hide something.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a rule that for 10 over and under, it was an automatic warning unless they were an asshole or bitch.  10+....ticket no matter what.  I'll bet I had a 50/50 split between warnings and tickets.

There's no excuse for a 7-over ticket, IMO....unless you were rude, which it doesn't sound like you were.

HH
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Why not send a registered letter to the troop commander in your district and advise them of the situation?  An officer should carry himself professionally at all times, and if he is not conducting himself in a professional manner then he deserves to have a complaint filed against his record.  

The citation will have the officers name and badge number.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
From my limited understanding of police work (very limited), the 20 questions routine is to determine if you're trying to hide something or if you're nervous.

For example, I was pulled over for doing 61/45 by the local PD.  Two cops in the cruiser.  It was ~8am and I was on my way to work, similar to your situation.  The first cop approached the driver's window and asked for my DL/ins/registration.  He asked me where I was going.  When I replied "to work" he asked "where do you work?".  I told him.  He then told me to sit tight.  He and his partner went back to the cruiser.

They returned <10 min later.  This time it was his partner who apporached the driver's window.  Again, he asked me where I was going and why I was in such a hurry.  I told him I was going to work and that I didn't want to be late.  Again, he asked me where that was and I told him.

I was let off with a written warning.

Like I said, they do this questioning routine to see if you're making it up as you go b/c you're trying to hide something.

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I was on my way home last week, around 1:30 am when I got stopped for supposedly going 47 in a 35.  Considering that place was one that I got nailed at previously I always make a concious effort to take it easy in that location.

Apparently I had a popped headlight, I didnt know that, I asked to get out of the car, he said sure.  I got out, and low and behold my passenger light was out.  I gave it a whack, and it popped back on.  The cop let out a pretty good chuckle and said "thats one way to fix it."  Took my liscence back and was back a few min later, gave me my liscence back told me to drive safe and have a good night.  

I was completely respectful, tired as all hell as I had an interview that day (still dressed up), helped a friend move a TV and watched some movies, but  I was very glad he didnt give me a ticket cause I really didnt know how fast I was goin, but I was braking to make my left.  I have always been impressed with the cops in my county, very professional.  Cobb co motorcycle cops are just pricks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top