Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 10:41:32 AM EDT
I recently purchased an '05 Grand Prix Program Car at my local dealer, after two weeks, I took it in complaining that the transmission/engine felt like it was shifting/moving as it changed gears, sometimes, the transmission would even slip.  The techs could find nothing wrong, so they replaced some transmission valve bodies that were in a service bulletin on rough shifting.  Since then, I tried to take the car back again for the same problem, but was unable to due to them not having a loaner or rental available that day.  Fast forward to today, on my way in to the office, I heear a loud POP!  Now the car is steering really bad, and the steering wheel has shifted 90 deg. to the right.  I limped it into work and looked under the car to find that the engine/transmission cradle has totally detached at it's right rear mount!  My question is, is loosening or removing this cradle necessary to complete transmission repairs, thereby the chance that this may be a dealer problem?  Or am I just pretty much SOL and have to pay out of pocket?(car is 1500 miles out of warranty!)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
An '05 and it's alreay out of warranty? My guess is you are going to have a hard time proving it was the dealer and be stuck with some pretty heafty charges. I suggest that if they will not make it good take it to a local mechanic who should do the work for about half.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]

That's a pretty fundamental structural failure that should not happen.  

I don't just mean it shouldn't happen to such a new car, or that it shouldn't happen to a car with less than 40,000 miles, I mean that in 2120 when someone stumbles across the rusted carcass of your Pontiac with a scattering of faded plastic body accents buried in the ground around its perimeter, with the body sheet metal crumbled into reddish flakes and powder and the engine block a solid rusted mass of iron with fuzzy corroded aluminum bits attached, the engine cradle should still be firmly attached to what is left of the body sub structure.

If the dealership doesn't cover it, climb the corporate ladder until you get someone who takes appropriate action.  But first, contact NHTSA and file a safety complaint--if this is a structural problem, it might warrant a recall.

In or out of warranty, this is a failure that GM should cover 100%.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
no too far out of warranty.  Complain enough to GM and they should fix it.   Sounds like major failure took place.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]

climb the corporate ladder

Ask for the service manager then ask for the general manager then ask for the GM zone manager.  Sometimes asking for the zone manager will get the local dealership to offer a settlement, but typically unless absolutely forced to, GM will not honor their warranty.  Good luck.z
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I recently purchased an '05 Grand Prix Program Car at my local dealer, after two weeks, I took it in complaining that the transmission/engine felt like it was shifting/moving as it changed gears, sometimes, the transmission would even slip.  The techs could find nothing wrong, so they replaced some transmission valve bodies that were in a service bulletin on rough shifting.  Since then, I tried to take the car back again for the same problem, but was unable to due to them not having a loaner or rental available that day.  Fast forward to today, on my way in to the office, I heear a loud POP!  Now the car is steering really bad, and the steering wheel has shifted 90 deg. to the right.  I limped it into work and looked under the car to find that the engine/transmission cradle has totally detached at it's right rear mount!  My question is, is loosening or removing this cradle necessary to complete transmission repairs, thereby the chance that this may be a dealer problem?  Or am I just pretty much SOL and have to pay out of pocket?(car is 1500 miles out of warranty!)

How is it out of warranty already?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it out of warranty already?

Program car w/ 23000 when purchased, I am in outside sales, hence MANY miles per week!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The cradle has to be removed in order to get the transmission out .  Sounds like they left a mount bolt loose.  If they refuse to repair at no cost, call the General Motors district representative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top