Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 7:02:22 AM EDT
Man Finds Smallpox Vaccine At Yard Sale

POSTED: 10:45 am PDT August 19, 2005

PRINCE GEORGE, British Columbia -- Andrew Knickle found something he hardly expected - or wanted - after he haggled down the price of a box of sailing tarpaulins to $2.50 at a yard sale.

"It was a kind of a hard, plastic tube with a screw cap that was labeled smallpox vaccine," Knickle said. "It scared me. All kinds of things went through my head, wondering if this could be meant for some evil purpose in this day and age of bioterrorism."

When he shook the package, which bore a label from Connaught Laboratories in Willowdale, Ontario, and an expiration date of 1973, it was evident that something was inside, he said.

"Usually something like this is under tight control, and I think it's very unusual that it popped up in a box of tarps," Knickle said.

Northern Health Authority officials retrieved the still-sealed vial.

Medical health officer Dr. Lorna Medd said the "watered-down, cousin-of-smallpox vaccine" would not have been active and posed no health risk.

"In 1972 they stopped immunizing children for smallpox," Medd said. "Our supposition is that this vial was somehow not collected from a military office, a health unit or a doctor's office and it just got lost."
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
*shrug*

In 2001 I found a box of DDT from the 1950s in my great grandparents garden shed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Big deal. I found about 20 nerve agent antidote kits in a wall locker at Camp Pendleton.

I don't think Smallpox vaccine even has Smallpox antibodies in it. The one I got was Cattlepox, a relative of Smallpox.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Some folks have really gone off the deep end when it comes
creating implausible terror-related scenarios.
Turning it into a news story gives this type of  afraid of my shadow
mindset credibility.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top