Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 4:41:50 AM EDT
How do you clean all the nooks and crannies of the gas system to be sure things don't start to rust from the effects of the corrosive ammunition?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Simple green and hot water in the shower is what I do. I have the removable wand, that helps to get all the areas. Dry it and lube it afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, water everywhere, then spend a lot of time drying.

And then, don't use that crap again
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Simple green and hot water in the shower is what I do. I have the removable wand, that helps to get all the areas. Dry it and lube it afterwards.

Are you concerned about getting water in tight places like sight assemblies and pinned to barrel gas housings?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you concerned about getting water in tight places like sight assemblies and pinned to barrel gas housings?

Thats what a heat gun is for. Any weapon worth its salt can handle getting wet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#5]
That is one of the reasons I haven't shot my PSL much....I refuse to shoot it with anything but the non-corrosive Wolf Match 7.62x54R....way too hard to try to clean that AK type gas tube leading from barrel to the piston...

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I recently bought some 1970 FN 7MM Mauser ammo for my FN49. Samco claimed it's non-corrosive but it worries that maybe it is. My FN49 is a all matching mint Venezuelan, and I don't want to risk anything rusting on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Use boiling hot water.  It'll heat up the metal and evaporate quickly.  That's what some blackpowder shooters do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Use boiling hot water.  It'll heat up the metal and evaporate quickly.  That's what some blackpowder shooters do.

I just take my black powder rifle into the shower with me.
Sure have gotten some funny looks from my friends or wife when I haul the rifle into the shower with me, but I figure it helps maintain my image of a highly unstable crazy gun nut.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recently bought some 1970 FN 7MM Mauser ammo for my FN49. Samco claimed it's non-corrosive but it worries that maybe it is. My FN49 is a all matching mint Venezuelan, and I don't want to risk anything rusting on it.

I understand, I have used it a few times too when I couldn't find anything else, but
as you're finding out in a gas operated gun it's unreal the nooks and crannies you have
to clean well.    The shower trick always worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Sweets 7.62 all over the interior of the gun. Previously I had used Windex, which was recommended by some my fellow board members. It didn't do squat, and I now have a badly pitted gas tube to show for it. Had to buy a non-matching replacement. Needless to say, that didn't please me too much.

Don't let the Sweets sit more than 5-10 mins in a chrome-lined barrel, as supposedly it can cause problems if left on too long.

Haven't tried the hot soapy water trick yet.

I'd HIGHLY recommend avoiding corrosive ammo altogether, and if you can find a non-corrosive brand, buy it. What caliber are you dealing with?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I use Sweets 7.62 all over the interior of the gun. Previously I had used Windex, which was recommended by some my fellow board members. It didn't do squat, and I now have a badly pitted gas tube to show for it.

Don't let the Sweets sit more than 5-10 mins in a chrome-lined barrel, as supposedly it can cause problems if left on too long.

Good info!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I use Sweets 7.62 all over the interior of the gun. Previously I had used Windex, which was recommended by some my fellow board members. It didn't do squat, and I now have a badly pitted gas tube to show for it. Had to buy a non-matching replacement. Needless to say, that didn't please me too much.

Haven't tried the hot soapy water trick yet.

I'd HIGHLY recommend avoiding corrosive ammo altogether, and if you can find a non-corrosive brand, buy it. What caliber are you dealing with?

7x57MM Mauser.

Unfortunately, there is no cheap surplus 7MM Mauser left. The only choice I had was to buy the Samco 1970 FN FMJ (they advertise it as non-corrosive but I question that) at .20 cents a round, or pay .45 cents a round for new hunting ammo.

I don't reload anymore and don't want to start.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, sounds like you're out of luck then.  I did some browsing and didn't find any of that ammo for even close to the price you quoted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top