Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 8:23:01 PM EDT
My dog got a small hole in her abdomen.  I put 5 staples in it from a staple gun that came with my first aid kit.  The injury has healed very nicely but now I can't get the dern staples out.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Patty, IM me and I will send you a remover.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The remover has 3 prongs.  2 on the bottom and one on the top.  You put the 2 under staple. And squeeze the top one.  The staple will bend and will come off. You need to be perpendicular to the staple or you will bend it in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]

whoops! wrong link!

Try this!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
people.clarkson.edu/~blumea/CalvinHobbes/CannonBall_SnowMan.gif

whoops! wrong link!

Try this!

lol!  Okay if I don't have any luck with Doc's instructions, I'll try the magnet.  Patty

*ETA* It worked!  Yeah ARDOC!  Thank you!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they havent been in there too long.  Then they grow into the skin. You need to dig out the center of the staple and put the prongs under the staple.  Again you need to make sure its straight or it will twist the staple into the wrong direction.  If you have no remover you can just grab one end with a hemostat and bend it with another hemostat.  Its not as easy but you can do it.

Consultation fees by the way is $200/hour.  I will take other services in exchange.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I hope they havent been in there too long.  Then they grow into the skin. You need to dig out the center of the staple and put the prongs under the staple.  Again you need to make sure its straight or it will twist the staple into the wrong direction.  If you have no remover you can just grab one end with a hemostat and bend it with another hemostat.  Its not as easy but you can do it.

Consultation fees by the way is $200/hour.  I will take other services in exchange.

hummm......you'll have to IM me about those services.  I lent MrClean4Hire my mop!  Nope everything worked perfectly.  The hole is healed perfectly.  The staples came out lickity split.  She's ready to go.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You can use a small needle-nose pliers - stick the tips under the staple & spread, then grasp the staples w/ the jaws & wiggle it back & forth - they will come out ( a but deformed compared w/ the normal extractor), although it hurts a little more than the staple remover.  I use a small hemostat in the OR to remove them (we occasionally use them to hold the sterile drapes to the patient).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you.  I had a staple remover but I didn't know how to use it.  I was holding it side ways I guess.  Anyway, I got them out.  The thing works perfectly.  I wonder if I can buy extra staples or if I have to just buy a new gun each time?  I have to stitch my dogs up at least once a month so this is pretty snazzy!

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#10]
No extra staples.  The stapler is sterile so you can not reload them.  They come preloaded and once youre done youre done,  New stapler everytime.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Do they make disolving staples?

Glad to hear your dog is doing ok!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No extra staples.  The stapler is sterile so you can not reload them.  They come preloaded and once youre done youre done,  New stapler everytime.

I wiped it off on my pants after I was done.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any link to the cheapest ones that have only 10 or so loaded?

I got mine with remover from www.petedge.com for $14.00.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Staplers at Moore Medical

These are the 5 shot versions, but they are available in other sizes as well.

There is an absorbable stapler (fires the staples under the skin), but I wouldn't recommend it.  The nice thing about the standard staplers is that thestaples are pretty easy to remove in case an infection develops, and the absorbable one appears to make that much more difficult.

Sam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top