Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 6:30:28 PM EDT
 Yep I guess tomorrow im going to go under the knife, the surgery is very minor. But I still hate needles from the IV thing The actual surgery is taking out some of my turbinates and he is doing something about a deviated septum. I go in tomorrow at 9:30 and I will be back home by 2pm so thats not bad. Anyway I just had to share that as I am already pretty nervous, surgery is never any fun. Has anyone else here had it?

Justin
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
[scratches head] I wonder if I have any turbinates, and if Ido, do I need ALL of mine.

Seriously, hope every thing "comes out" good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea what a turbinate is, but good luck tomorrow.

I hate needles too, but when I had hand surgery a few weeks ago, the drugs they pumped through 'em made it all worthwhile.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Google says

The turbinates are three small ridges that run deep inside each nostril

Justin I hope you have a successful surgery.  I'll say a prayer for you.  Try not to focus on it.  You'll be just fine.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck with the surgery, and be thankful you dont have spinal stinosis............
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The X-ray is probably just seeing all the lead buildup from years of breathing lead dust while shooting.   Just tell 'em to give it a good coat of Hoppes on a Q-Tip and blow your nose, then you'll be right back in business.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I had exactly this same surgury about two years ago.  The turbinates regulate airflow in your nostrils.  Mine had overenlarged due to several broken noses and almost totally blocked my airway.

I got the septum fixed  and the turbinates removed.  So then I could breathe WAAAY better and didn't snore as bad.

Oh and your water consumption will TRIPLE for a while.  Mine's still waay up.  The increased surface area in your nose or something makes you dehydrate really fast.

Oh and for about a week after you have it, you will be coughing up freakin' chicken hearts and stuff.  nasty.

But the surgury is cake.  good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to have that surgery, but I have heard that it is EXTREMELY painful afterward.  Seriously.  Be prepared for this, I have heard about that pain from 2 different people.  

My right turbinate is so large it's hard to breathe, but I've continued to put the surgery for it (as well as the hemmorhoid surgery) off for a while now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I need to have that surgery, but I have heard that it is EXTREMELY painful afterward.  Seriously.  Be prepared for this, I have heard about that pain from 2 different people.  

My right turbinate is so large it's hard to breathe, but I've continued to put the surgery for it (as well as the hemmorhoid surgery) off for a while now.

Pain is a weakness leaving the body Im hoping they give me some serious painkillers lol.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]

I had that done about a year ago.  Made it so much easier to breathe!

While you are recovering, make sure you get a cold humidifier.  It helps keep your nose from drying out and makes it more comfortable to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#11]

I thought they were something like dingleberries.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

LOL I am back you guys were right the surgery was cake I havent had any pain in the last 10 hours and havent been on any pain killers. but the drip pad sucks I will try the cold humidifior thing.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL I am back you guys were right the surgery was cake I havent had any pain in the last 10 hours and havent been on any pain killers. but the drip pad sucks I will try the cold humidifior thing.

Thanks

I am glad it went good.

And now I know what they are.....and I guess i don't need them, huh?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had exactly this same surgury about two years ago.  The turbinates regulate airflow in your nostrils.  Mine had overenlarged due to several broken noses and almost totally blocked my airway.

I got the septum fixed  and the turbinates removed.  So then I could breathe WAAAY better and didn't snore as bad.

Oh and your water consumption will TRIPLE for a while.  Mine's still waay up.  The increased surface area in your nose or something makes you dehydrate really fast.

Oh and for about a week after you have it, you will be coughing up freakin' chicken hearts and stuff.  nasty.

But the surgury is cake.  good luck.

That just hit me funny!  Best of luck Justin!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top