Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 5:59:49 PM EDT
Well, I'm back in the 1911 cult.  I have owned many through the years, but not in the past 2-3.

A while back I saw that Sarco had Esesx frames with ejector, grip screw bushings, and safety plunger tube installed for $99!  I looked around my shop at all of my 1911 take offs from my own and customer's guns that I have accumulated through the years, and decided I could build one up.

I used an old USGI NM slide, and a USGI chrome lined bbl, Novak low mount sights, an adj. trig of unknown manufacture, and the rest was a mix of "whatever".  I lowered and flared the ej. port and dehorned all of the sharp edges.  I parkerized all of the steel parts, then immediately used Brownell's Moly/Teflon oven cured finish in Dark Parkerizing Gray on top of that.

The end result was a very slick looking gun that should withstand sweat and extreme temp changes from being in an auto.  I took it to the range today for the first time and it digested 80 rounds without a single malfunction.  I am pleased!  I will sight it in with some good defensive rounds and get some good leather to carry it in.

The best part?  I have less than $175 in it!

I'll try to post a pic in a little bit.

Balming
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
[hands you koolade]Welcome back to the fold![/hands you koolade]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. Sounds like you built yourself one hell of a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive been addicted to 1911's ever since i bought my XD9mm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cool. Sounds like you built yourself one hell of a pistol.

Thanks!  I have been carrying a Keltec .380 during the summer and a Beretta 92 during the winter.  I will feel a little better armed now.  If I still own it by then, I trade guns frequently.

Balming
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's the pics!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't wait to get my hands on my 1911. A little more than a year...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, no pics.  The camera is fubar.

I did shoot it last week with some 185 LSWC I handloaded, and it was shooting very respectable groups.  It functioned 100% too!

Now I need to get a .45 conversion for my Dillon 650...........................

Balming
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry Mr. Balming, I going to "slightly" hi-jack your thread, but since we are talking about 1911s:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete set of technical drawings and specs for a 1911?.  Please post any replies to this in the post itself. TIA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top