Page / 3
Posted: 8/21/2005 2:39:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTWSL

In Before the Whiny Snake lovers
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
that is a bullsnake my friend.  not poisonous.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Bullsnake.

Shouldnt have killed it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job; one less snake in the world.

Oh, that is now a good snake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That was dumb.  Bullsnakes are good to have around.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen one of these before.  It's a dead snake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do people kill harmless snakes?  I just dont get it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Copperhead?  In SD?????  WTF?

Snakes are very beneficial an continued urban sprawl and development means there are less and less of them.  They should be left alone unless absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Failure to ID the snake prior to killing it & fear of snakes would be my two guesses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1.  I see people all the time killing blue indigo snakes too, thinking they're water moccassins.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Failure to ID the snake prior to killing it & fear of snakes would be my two guesses.

Yep, lame though to me. I happen to like snakes. Now, if I were to run across a rattler, while out shooting in the grasslands out here in Co., damn right I'd shoot it.. But a bullsnake? Nope, I'd probably pick it up & take a look at it, then let him be on his merry way...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I see people all the time killing blue indigo snakes too, thinking they're water moccassins.

they're endangered besides.. even better... mf'rs...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude, you have been here long enough to know better. Keep your kills to yourself. The snake lovers on arfcom live for these threads.  I am suprised no one has asked if you were going to eat it or use all of the skin and bones to make survival gear. Keep your head down, this will probably go 5 or 6 pages.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
.. But a bullsnake? Nope, I'd probably pick it up & take a look at it, then let him be on his merry way...

you havent been in contact with too many bull snakes have you?

Yes, they are a very benificial snake, eating a lot of rabbits, mice and gophers, but they most certainly not friendly.  6-7' long, not poisonous, but very aggressive and their bite will draw blood.  

i'm convinced that the only reason they don't have poison is because they a bad-ass enough not to need it.

i don't kill bullsnakes.  but i certainly wouldn't try to catch one
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd much rather have a bullsnake around than the filthy disease carrying rodents the snake eliminates. Your mileage may vary.

There is PETA and then there is good clean environmental logic. Knowing is half the battle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dude, you have been here long enough to know better. Keep your kills to yourself. The snake lovers on arfcom live for these threads.  I am suprised no one has asked if you were going to eat it or use all of the skin and bones to make survival gear. Keep your head down, this will probably go 5 or 6 pages.

The ethical hunter does not use animals for target practice.

My version is the ethical hunter does not use useful animals for target practice.  A bullsnake is a useful animal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

B/C snakes are pretty effing hard to identify.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't even kill the rattlesnakes I almost trip over when I'm out running at the Site.  It isn't their fault that their a flipping snake, and besides I'm on their turf.  Bull snakes eat mice and other vermin and are good to have around.      
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

B/C snakes are pretty effing hard to identify.

Maybe to a city-slicker, yankee like you...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I just found out, it actually isn't a bull snake, I talked to a GFP guy around here...

he said it was a FOX SNAKE. The thing STUNK to high heaven. And yes, he said, they are a bit hard to identify because of their behavior.... I've been around plenty of rattle snakes over the years, and this one was acting like a rattle snake. I guess they vibrate their tail against grass and leaves to make a rattling sound. You can read more here....

Fox Snake

So.... yes - it is NOT a dangerous snake, just a constrictor that eats mice.

BUT, they act like rattle snakes and it was scaring customers... like the kid who robs the gas station with a fake gun...

So, for all the PETA folk I offended, tough shit  - I love animals and think snakes are cool, but I guess he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

PS- maybe next time I see a snake that is acting like a rattler - one of you guys can come by and take a close look at its eyes and tell me if they're elliptical or round
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
If it scared the mother in law it may have been good to keep around.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag [to see if the guy gets more greif from shooting a snake then I did].  Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Tag [to see if the guy gets more greif from shooting a snake then I did].  Patty

You shot a snake Patty? (how could you!)
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent shot! Dont even listen to these city fucks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#27]
South Dakotan Rattle Cobra... very dangerous.

Don't let the PETA apologists get you down. You made a wise kill.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I  thought you killed it while you were mopping
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I hate snakes.  I would've cried like a little girl if i walked up on that thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, it sure looks like a fox snake to me.  They love to mimic rattlers with their tail vibrating.  I had one almost as long, had to wear welding glove to handle him the first month.  That fucker would bite the shit out of ya!!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shot a snake Patty? (how could you!)

It was actually pretty easy.  I shot two of them.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a biggin!!

Good shot,good judgement..
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

14The LORD God said to the serpent,

"Because you have done this,
  cursed are you above all livestock
  and above all beasts of the field;
on your belly you shall go,
  and dust you shall eat
  all the days of your life.
15I will put enmity between you and the woman,
  and between your offspring[a] and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
  and you shall bruise his heel."

Gen 3: 14-15

Oh!! Now I've gone and done it.  Off to the religion forum!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I understand the reasons to shoot it f you could not ID it and were worried about customers safety. Many snakes imitate rattlers by shaking their tails.

Try to remember the details of the snake that way next time you can just scare it away. A snake that size had eaten many large rodents in its day so try to conserve when possible.

Dont let it go to waste. You can make some nice grips from the skin. I dont know how to do it but I used to seel some snakeskin grips at our shop, they looked nice but probably didnt hold up well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]

* Yellowish body with brown or black blotches that appear as rings near the tail

* Alternating dark blotches found along each side

* The belly is cream colored to whitish, with dark spots along its borders

* A dark mask or line that extends across the head from the angle of the jaws to the eyes

* Keeled scales

* Nonvenomous

* Diet: rodents (including gophers, ground squirrels, and mice), birds and their eggs, and various amphibians

* Habitat: open grasslands

* Distribution: counties in the western two thirds of South Dakota

*Note:
The South Dakota Bull snake is on the endangered speices list and is classified as a protected speies.
Please report all violations to:
South Dakota Division of Wildlife
4500 S. Oxbow
Sioux Falls, SD  57106

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#36]
As a general rule, snakes with small heads and pointed or rounded snouts are not poisonous, and the poisonous ones have wider heads with blunt snouts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
My cornsnake will coil up and hit its tail on the ground real quick. Sounds exactly like a rattle snake. My ball python is to fat and lazy to try to strike. It just wants to eat.

The cornsnake acts kind of wild still. I've almost been bitten. I should draw down on him
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
that is WAS a bullsnake my friend.  not poisonous.

Fixed
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I just found out, it actually isn't a bull snake, I talked to a GFP guy around here...

he said it was a FOX SNAKE. The thing STUNK to high heaven. And yes, he said, they are a bit hard to identify because of their behavior.... I've been around plenty of rattle snakes over the years, and this one was acting like a rattle snake. I guess they vibrate their tail against grass and leaves to make a rattling sound. You can read more here....

Fox Snake

So.... yes - it is NOT a dangerous snake, just a constrictor that eats mice.

BUT, they act like rattle snakes and it was scaring customers... like the kid who robs the gas station with a fake gun...

So, for all the PETA folk I offended, tough shit  - I love animals and think snakes are cool, but I guess he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

PS- maybe next time I see a snake that is acting like a rattler - one of you guys can come by and take a close look at its eyes and tell me if they're elliptical or round

Living in constant fear of your environment so much that you have to shoot anything that moves in fear of you, giving you fair warning, must be total hell.

Tell me. Did the snake just attack you and your Mother In Law or was there a warning first?

Oh wait! That's right it didn't attack.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I  thought you killed it while you were mopping

lol!  I did!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#41]
In California you need a fishing license to hunt snakes because they are reptiles.
Do you have your fishing license?  If so fine it is another dead snake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#42]
If you don't know what it is, leav it alone!!!!

DAmn.

Someone tried to kill one of the black racers that was out back of the shop I used to work at.

They cut it in half, and it lived for a few days...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#43]
It's getting a little deep in here  100% of the snake luvin gang missed the ID and the only one with experience with a Fox snake says its a biter...poisonous or not..its a belt

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I've come up across rattlesnakes in the wild and haven't killed them, depends on how close they are to other residences and the chances of human contact.

I haven't yet had a chance to actually get my hands on a live one to have a photo op moment.    Also have yet to kill one because either the gun was not available or when a gun was present no nearby residences were.    I desperately want to get a rattlesnake pelt and a set of rattles but I'm not about to kill a snake in the middle of the desert to do it.

And I won't kill a non-poisonous snake no matter how much it bites me and I have been bit PUHLENTY!

This bastard was a pain in the ass to try to handle, only time I ever put on gloves to handle a snake.   Biggest damned gopher snake I have ever run across...   When they get this big I think they have gotten so only because they are mean as hell coming from a lifetime of fighting/scaring off predators.

Most wind up about this size and he was so timid that he never coiled up on me once and I could handle him as casually as I wanted.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#45]
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You killed a snake, you big old meanie!!!!!

Nothing to see here folks.  IT'S JUST A SNAKE.

Move along.

Balming
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I catch a few of them in the spring time in the mornings out at the airport where I work.

Usually I'll have a student early and we'll go out to do some pattern work and they'll be streched out on the runway trying to get the heat off of it.

I will usually have my student taxi down as I pick em up and throw them back into the brush,  they're pretty slow in the morning when they are cold so it's easy pickings.

This last year I got about 25 or 30 Gopher Snakes and a dozen or so Western Diamondbacks.  The diamondbacks give ya a case of the hebejebes everytime you pick one up no matter how many times you've done it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Look good on a pair of boots.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Special Breed         .....Big muther fucker     Now it's      .....Dead muther fucker
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You killed a snake, you big old meanie!!!!!

Nothing to see here folks.  IT'S JUST A SNAKE.

Move along.

Balming

No rational posting allowed in "snake I just killed, here is a pic" threads. Please refrain from posting these types of comments in the future.  Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
The Peanut Gallery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top