Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 2:33:47 PM EDT
What happens when the automatic dishwasher drains its water?

What happens when the garbage disposal runs during the dishwasher's cycle?

Can food from the garbage disposal make its way into the dishwasher?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What happens when the automatic dishwasher drains its water?
drains into the drain under the sink

What happens when the garbage disposal runs during the dishwasher's cycle?
nothing... you cant hurt anything when you do.

Can food from the garbage disposal make its way into the dishwasher?
Yes, unless you have an "air gap" in place. some dishwasher companies install check valves on the drain lines to prevent back flow into the dishwasher, Question is... do you have an "air gap" installed? If you dont, you should.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bet that wasn't the answer he was looking for on #3

Leave it to DFrige to ruin a guys bet.......
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
you ain't kidding.

off to pay the piper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What happens when the automatic dishwasher drains its water? ask her (the dishwasher)

What happens when the garbage disposal runs during the dishwasher's cycle?ask her

Can food from the garbage disposal make its way into the dishwasher?ask her

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The Kenmore dishwasher I just installed had a big loop of hose that went clear up to the top
of the unit.  Directions said to keep that loop in place.  The guy at the store said the loop
was there to prevent anything from backing up into the unit.

The loop wasn't necessary for my installation, so I could have removed it had I wanted to.

If I had done this, and plumbed the dishwasher to the kitchen sink drain, I might worry.

Since I ran the dishwasher to a seperate drain, it isn't a concern.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys are just too easy!!!!!!!!!!   Do you think the solinoid switch that opens the drainvalve,kinda acts like a check valve????  The dishwasher drains in above the Garbage D Drain!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
It all depends on who did your plumbing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It all depends on who did your plumbing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If you need ar15.com to try to win a fight with your girlfriend,  you've already lost.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't a dishwasher pump the drain water out under pressure? If so, I doubt that anything under gravity pressure from the sink could go down the dishwashers drain line while its open and pumping.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
No way in F**K is anything from the garbage disposal going to "back up" into the dishwasher at my house.  If that can happen to you, somebody installed something wrong.

Do you have one of those little covers up by your sink faucet you can pull off? Usually that's where the dishwasher waste is routed through.  Pull that sucker off while the dishwasher is running sometime
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If your drain hose is run high, as in from the top of inside of the cabinet, the water can't backwash into the dishwasher because the line is higher than the drain point of the sink.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top