Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 9:43:38 AM EDT
i'm geting a new camera and am thinking of one that uses AA batteries instead of it factory battery.AA rechargables are cheap these days.Also don't have to lug around a brand specific charger.  Do the AA's last a long as the factory lith ones?

Which one do you prefer?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Lion batteries (provided they are rechargeable) will be the better choice. Twice the energy density (3.1v per cell vs 1.2) and they are usually higher capacity (mAH). The disposable Li based batteries are not Lithium Ion, but are lithium metal based. Whatever you do, do not try to recharge them. Lithium fires are not fun. What kind of camera?

ETA: if you are going to leave the camera in your car, go with the non-lithium cells. If you overheat the Li based cells, they can go up in flames......and don't leave your cellphone on the dash of your car either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i'm geting a new camera and am thinking of one that uses AA batteries instead of it factory battery.AA rechargables are cheap these days.Also don't have to lug around a brand specific charger.  Do the AA's last a long as the factory lith ones?

Which one do you prefer?

I don't like AA batteries because theres usually a big bulge in the camera. It makes it bulky and heavy....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto that about interior heat in autos. In south. Calif. in the mid 90s, I've personally measured temps in the 150-160 F degree range.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Li-Ion sucks. 5 years max (either in full storage or daily use) and the Ion breaks down, requiring you to buy an expensive battery pack.

AA NiMH will last years and does not suffer from the NiCd memory effect. Capacity is high (2.5 AH) and they're really cheap ($5-$10/pack of 4).
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AA's wont last as long, Lithium Ion batteries are friggen stallions. I can get about 500 pictures on my digital slr on one charge, and it takes about an hour to recharge.

In regards to leaving your camera in the car, I dont reccomend that at all. High-temperatures can be very bad for the adhesives, i've heard horror stories about guys losing some high-dollar gear by leaving it in the car.

Depends what AAs you're talking about. Alkaline AAs will last about 5 min in a modern digi cam. NiMH 2.5AH AAs will last (for me) about 1-2 months, that's about 300-400 photos w/ flash. Depending on your charger, it can take 30 min to 5 hours.

So basically, you state Li-Ion will take 1 hour to charge and can last 500 pics on your digital camera.
What I am saying is NiMH AA can take 1 hour to recharge and can last around 500 pics on a digital camera depending on current draw.

NiMH AAs are about $5-$10/4. Li-Ion is $30-$100+.
Li-Ion will last a max of 5 years and has horrible horrible cold-weather performance (this is why they're not used on hybrid vehicles). NiMH will last much longer, does not suffer from cold-weather performance (used in hybrid vehicles), and is more affordable.

My FujiFilm takes 4 AAs and the bulge is in your grip area.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
AA batteries are t3h w3ak in digital cameras.  I had a camera that would suck 4xAAs dry very quickly.  LiIon batteries are much more robust.  They charge quicker and last a lot longer.

And +1 on the 'do not leave it in your car' comment.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AA batteries are t3h w3ak in digital cameras.  I had a camera that would suck 4xAAs dry very quickly.  LiIon batteries are much more robust.  They charge quicker and last a lot longer.

And +1 on the 'do not leave it in your car' comment.  

Again it depends on what chemistry you're talking about. There are low-cap NiMH AAs that will run dry. Alkaline AAs (like Energizer Tritanium crap) are EXTREMELY low capacity when you're talking about AAs.

There are 2.5 AH NiMH AA batteries like the ones I use. They last quite awhile in my FujiFilm. Some Li-Ion batteries don't even have as high of a capacity!

What you get with Li-Ion is smart charging/monitoring capability (built into the battery packs), NO memory effect, limited lifespan (when the Ion chemistry breaks down, time to buy a new pack), and higher price than NiMH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top