Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 8:56:38 PM EDT
and that shit hurt.  i know it was a stupid thing to do, but i have been contemplating this idea for a while.  i finally had the balls (or enough beers) to try it, and it was intense.  my eyes are still kinda swollen.  flame me as you will.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...flame me as you will.

Not at all.

There’s a lot to be said for knowing what you’re up against if someone else sprays you or if you accidentally spray yourself.

You don’t want to be learning this stuff in the middle of a real fight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to flame you. That is more or less what you got last night
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You dork! I hae been through that for a job and I don't think that I would do it unless I had to! It hurt like hell and I felt like shit for a long time. I wouldn't do it unless I had to for a very good reason. Nothing but snot and pai for a while there!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
At least it wasn't foam.  Try that, then wipe it out,  then we'll flame you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had CS before that was not alot of fun heard OC was worse
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I got sprayed with OC when I was still in the military.

I think I would rather have someone shoot me for real, than take a face full of that shit again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously, did you drink beer before the event
and how bad was it, were you able to attack after the spray?

I expect to be sprayed this year, not looking forward to it
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Come on tell us the truth.....you came out of the house and tried to bite the mail carrier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Why? The dating game not going too good for you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]

I turned into a crying bitch.

I have no idea of how any person in a normal state of mind can continue to be aggresive or function on even a basic level after being sprayed with CS.  That has to be the most single unpleasant things I have ever experienced second only to hemoroid surgery.

Talk about humbled......
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? The dating game not going too good for you?

No, its not(whole different subject)
but I expect to be sprayed for training
again, not looking forward to it.........
I guess I will do some blindfold training to prepare for it

eta: thanks for making me think about the blindfold thing
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Come on tell us the truth.....you came out of the house and tried to bite the mail carrier.

No, saw him the other day
he said HI
We talked about the weather
that was about it..........
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Different strokes for different........
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Different strokes for different........

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a picture I took of a friend, when it was his turn to get the OC treatment.  One of my best photos, captures the agony and pain he was experiencing fairly well dont you think?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a fairly mild reaction to me
(he appears to have the ability to throw a punch)
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I keep bear spray handy at home and in my truck...bet that stuff will really light up a BG's face.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
and that shit hurt.  i know it was a stupid thing to do, but i have been contemplating this idea for a while.  i finally had the balls (or enough beers) to try it, and it was intense.  my eyes are still kinda swollen.  flame me as you will.

I'm picturing: Hey Bubba! Watch this!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I turned into a crying bitch.

I have no idea of how any person in a normal state of mind can continue to be aggresive or function on even a basic level after being sprayed with CS.  That has to be the most single unpleasant things I have ever experienced second only to hemoroid surgery.

Talk about humbled......

Do tell.  I have to have hemmorhoid surgery, but I have been putting it off for the obvious reason.  If it stings anything like my asshole after a spicy meal, then to hell with it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...I guess I will do some blindfold training to prepare for it ...

What’s that?

If you want to familiarize yourself with it taking baby steps, spray some OC into a paper bag and breath it.  Do this outdoors, preferably with a running hose of cool water nearby.

Note that when you take a full blast in the face there’s a slight delay in taking effect – at first you don’t feel much, a second or so later you feel like someone dropped a napalm canister on you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I guess I will do some blindfold training to prepare for it ...

What’s that?

If you want to familiarize yourself with it taking baby steps, spray some OC into a paper bag and breath it.  Do this outdoors, preferably with a running hose of cool water nearby.

Note that when you take a full blast in the face there’s a slight delay in taking effect – at first you don’t feel much, a second or so later you feel like someone dropped a napalm canister on you.

Sounds like a good suggestion......
blindfold training would be putting a blindfold on, to be
practicing to attack something without the use of your eyes
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I got sprayed in LEO training.  I got sprayed and had to fight someone off with a baton, fire two shots with a glock sim-gun on target (the blue frame gun with the paint projectils), and then call in my position before they would detox me.  The thing to remember is that you can still funtion for a few seconds to protect yourself in high stress and pain.

I  have it on video.  Friends get a kick out of my suffering.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been purposefully hit with Tear Gas (CN), military-grade CS (not as bad as CN I think), Pepperfoam, a taser, a stungun, a rubber baton round from an M203 launcher, rubber buck from a shotgun, a drag-stabilized bag from a shotgun and I was in a group of 13 guys that "taste-tested" a stingball grenade.  OK, so I pussed out and wore a cup for all of them, but it still hurt.

I didn't have a chance to do this with distraction devices before I had to use them.  first time I used one I was almost as affected as my targets, that sucked.
next time, less beer, then see what it feels like.  I dare you.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Well if it wasnt an attack on the mailman......he musta cut the roof off a jeep!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Long story short. My wife had a cat I hated. I  tried to MACE cat, karma kicked in and I Maced myself.

I don't know which is worse Pepper spray or Mace, but after the Mace I thought I was going to die...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#26]
So your date for the night really meant NO?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#27]
For training at the PD to carry the stuff, we had to get hit with a blast of Freeze +P (OC and CS, the theory as it was explained to us is that the OC opens up the pores in your face for the CS to get into, not that the OC is anything to sneeze at by itself!). After the stuff took effect, we than had to shoot 3 sets of double-taps at a target with a command for each double-tap. 6/6 was required, if you missed with even one shot you had to stand there till you completed the stage.

First off, let me tell you, this stuff SUCKS HARD!!!!! Makes it practically impossible to see and/or function, what with the pain, the inablity to see and the inability to breathe with the CS component. There were a couple of guys who missed the target and had to stand there for a while and reshoot the stage. Sucks bad for them! Luckily, I got the required 6/6 and got deconned relatively quickly.

Second off, if you're gonna carry it, you should get hit with it. Just picture if you use it and the bad guy decides to thump on you anyway. You're gonna get contaminated, regardless, and it's nice to have an idea of what's coming so you know beforehand about it. It can be fought through, you can't just lay down and die, but it's a bitch to do so. Just last week, we had to hit an extremely combative guy with it then go hands-on with him to cuff him. We got some of it but, knowing what was coming, it wasn't too bad. Just don't be a dipshit like I was. I was sweating my balls off then, after we got him subdued, I wiped the sweat out of my eyes before washing my hands DOH!!!!

Just realize that it's not the end of the world and that you might just have to fight through it some day. It's a great motivator, I'm telling you!

Bub
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone wearing their contact lenses when this happened?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
...blindfold training would be putting a blindfold on, to be practicing to attack something without the use of your eyes

I guess I shoulda known that!  

I’m sure there’s merit to the idea, but keep in mind that OC causes intense pain and (esp. with a mist type spray) causes your mucous membranes to swell up, which makes breathing difficult.

Fighting blindfolded is IMHO a distance from fighting after taking a good blast of OC in the face.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#30]
My first experieince with CS was in boot camp. The Gas Chamber. Took off our masks and holy shit, I really felt like I was going to die. The panic that instills can only be experienced but could be overrode with intellect and reason. I knew I wasn't going to die. My body was screaming it though.

Okay, so DI commands singing of the Marine Corps Hymn.

Pretty lousy first attempt.

"Put your masks on."

Oh yeah, we're outa here.

"Now we're going to get it right. Again!"

It wasn't so bad the second time and we all made sure we sang the Marine Corps Hymn just right.

Bottom line is it is tolerable and I know that now.

Never pleasant though. Year after year I went through that damn thing. 3 times in 4 years. Sucked every time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone wearing their contact lenses when this happened?

Hehehe, yeah, me.

I went through this tearing and screaming session every morning for a week while putting on my contacts (They weren't disposable -- extended wears, so it wasn't like I could just change 'em out )  Rinsing the hell out of them didn't work for crap.

On the bright side, I think I have developed immunity to OC.  Hell I put it on my tacos
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...blindfold training would be putting a blindfold on, to be practicing to attack something without the use of your eyes

I guess I shoulda known that!  

I’m sure there’s merit to the idea, but keep in mind that OC causes intense pain and (esp. with a mist type spray) causes your mucous membranes to swell up, which makes breathing difficult.

Fighting blindfolded is IMHO a distance from fighting after taking a good blast of OC in the face.

I agree, but I have never trained\practiced locating\hitting targets with BOTH of my eyes covered
knowing the distance to your opponent is VERY important, I normally use my eyes to determine it
so, I just thought I would cover my eyes and try to develop a small bit of skill judging distance\hitting from touch
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I've gotten hit with Freeze +P in training. Not fun, virtually impossible to open your eyes for the first 15 minutes....still, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

And no, you shouldn't be flamed for taking the hit. You are just that much more experienced now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]
If you continue to expose yourself to pepper spray, you will gain a tolarance for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top