Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 7:18:03 PM EDT
Need a mower for around a 1/2 acre...Home Depot had a Toro, Lawn Boy and a Honda all in this price range.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good experience with a Honda.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Toro electric-start self-propelled walk-behind mower from Home Depot
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I love my Toro electric-start self-propelled walk-behind mower from Home Depot

+1 -  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a strong one.  We had an amazingly thick yard of carpet grass and the push mowers with 5 hp would not cut it.

we went with a 6+ i think...before the snapper came along
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything with USA on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently got a Troy built from lowes. 6.5hp Briggs&Straton with large rear wheels. mulch/bag/side throw. One pull "easy start" feature. I've had it for about 1.5 months with ZERO problems. It's Florida's rainy season so I'm cutting the grass once a week. It's also self propelled. I also picked up a Troy built line trimmer and blower. Very good constuction and all work very well. They are all easy on the gas too.

The Honda was my second choice but it was $20 more here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I recently got a Troy built from lowes. 6.5hp Briggs&Straton with large rear wheels. mulch/bag/side throw. One pull "easy start" feature. I've had it for about 1.5 months with ZERO problems. It's Florida's rainy season so I'm cutting the grass once a week. It's also self propelled. I also picked up a Troy built line trimmer and blower. Very good constuction and all work very well. They are all easy on the gas too.

Our TroyBuilt sucked donkey balls.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our TroyBuilt sucked donkey balls.

YMMV

Interesting..........Mine is great. Maybe you got a lemon?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Lawn boy!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my Toro selfpace - best self propelled system I've ever used.

Push on th handle more, it goes faster.   It's always going the right speed, automatically

I would suggest you try a local store - their prices are usually about the same, and you'll have a place for parts & service.

Screw the big box stores.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd say Honda.  Did you look at husqvarna?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Push on th handle more, it goes faster.   It's always going the right speed, automatically

I would suggest you try a local store - their prices are usually about the same, and you'll have a place for parts & service.

www.toro.com/home/images/wpm_20017_r_2077_xl.jpg

We bought this exact same mower when we bought the new house. Due to the extreme dry spell here, it's only gotten used 3 or 4 times but it works GREAT! I was going to buy a Honda but wanted the side discharge/mulch/bag option and the Hondas here didn't have the side discharge option. In the spring here, it's usually so wet that, by the time it quits raining so that you can mow the grass, it's so high that bagging and mulching are right out the window. I really like the variable-speed self-propelled mechanism. and it cuts like a dream, very smooth and even. I'm not too sure about long-term durability, we'll see about that, but even if it craps out, hey, it's a Toro. There's lots of places here that work on them. And I sprung for the extended warranty due to the SP mechanism. As I said, we'll see, but I really like it so far!

Bub
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Toro rear wheel drive.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had the same Toro for 10+ years. Zero problems. Change plug, air filter and oil once a year, drain gas out for winter, and keep the blade sharp. It has a 5.5hp Briggs & Stratton. No rust yet either. Make sure the mower deck is NOT steel, it will rust. Instead look for magnesium, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
HONDA............
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sounds like I got the same model from Lowes.

No problems thus far.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Lemme ask you what I asked my customers when I worked in one of those evil corporate stores:
"Do you have kids?" "Good, how many?"
"Here are the push reel mowers.  They go for between $70 and $100.  You'll have plenty
left over to buy some brews and a lawn chair so you can 'supervise'.  Even better, your lawn
will look as well groomed as a golf course and your kids will get plenty of exercise."
Granted, the store didn't profit as much from the sale, but I never had one get returned or brought
back for not working properly or any other reason.

ETA: If you do insist on gas go for one of the Hondas.  They are more expensive IIRC but you
have to work pretty hard to kill one of those engines
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Skip the Honda, check prices on the cables. Honda keeps talking about pulling out of the lawn and garden business. Other than the "cheap" Hondas, how many do you see around?

Troy Built=MTD RUN AWAY. I'd suggest Toro or Snapper. What you need to do is check with your dealers. You are going to need support. In my area, if you don't have a dealer branded mower, other than blades, you have no support.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had nothing but good service from an MTD mower.  Going on 14 years of mowing with an MTD rider.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've had nothing but good service from an MTD mower.  Going on 14 years of mowing with an MTD rider.

I'm glad for your luck. In the industry, they are considered a two year mower. NO support in this area.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
i would go with the 4 stroke honda. I have one and have no problems with it it cuts so well i dont use the bag anymore
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#24]
9 years ago one summer, I worked on lawnmowers in a local repair shop.  Toros and Hondas are both great.  Toro is an American company.  John Deere used to have a push mower with a Kawasaki engine and it was built like a tank.  Don't know if those are still around.

Avoid Tecumseh engines and thin-gauge steel decks.  Go for an aluminum deck (nice and thick like Toro) or a heavy-gauge steel one (like Snapper).

Have your blade sharpened frequently, at least once per 4-5 month season.  This will give you a nicer cut that's healthier for the grass and looks cleaner.  A sharp blade is extra critical if you use the mulching feature on your mower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought this bad boy. About $350. Only used it once but I likey

Push on th handle more, it goes faster. It's always going the right speed, automatically

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like Toro thus far...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had a Honda HRX for 2 years now.  Love it.

Starts on the FIRST pull, everytime.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.toro.com/home/images/wpm_20017_r_2077_xl.jpg

We bought this exact same mower when we bought the new house. Due to the extreme dry spell here, it's only gotten used 3 or 4 times but it works GREAT! I was going to buy a Honda but wanted the side discharge/mulch/bag option and the Hondas here didn't have the side discharge option. In the spring here, it's usually so wet that, by the time it quits raining so that you can mow the grass, it's so high that bagging and mulching are right out the window. I really like the variable-speed self-propelled mechanism. and it cuts like a dream, very smooth and even. I'm not too sure about long-term durability, we'll see about that, but even if it craps out, hey, it's a Toro. There's lots of places here that work on them. And I sprung for the extended warranty due to the SP mechanism. As I said, we'll see, but I really like it so far!

Bub

I've had my 4 years - no issues.  

hell, I haven't even changed or added oil.

Starts 1st pull every time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top