[#3]
Wow.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
RPG fence, right?

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone want to tell me why the rpg just didnt punch through that? It looks like only the very thin finsdidnt punch through
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'd be calling the disposal guys rather then just jerking on a live RPG!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone want to tell me why the rpg just didnt punch through that? It looks like only the very thin finsdidnt punch through

RPGs fire a shaped charge, right? The fence blows that charge up a short distance from the armor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The RPG is a shaped charge and must detonate within a certain distance of the surface to be effective.  The RPG has a piezo on its tip to start the detonation when it strike the surface.

The RPG fence detonates the warhead away from the surface, severely attenuating the damage caused by the weapon.

This is is pretty old idea . . . too bad we didn't start using it earlier.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]
War is the mother of all invention.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
The RPG fuse works on an electrical current that passes through the sheetmetal nosecone.  If the sheetmetal nosecone gets dented, it can ground out on the inner metal liner, causing a short, which renders the fuse dead.

This is why we used chain link fencing in Vietnam against RPGs, and why the fence on the Stryker works.  The Brits also used steel mesh around their lookout towers in North Ireland, and I remember civillian cargo boats on rivers in SE Asia (in areas of pirate activity) equipped with mesh for the same reason.

It's a well known, cheap and effective counter to the RPG, that simply has been resurrected due to circumstances.

The nosecone fuse problem is also why there is such a high dud rate with the RPG.  Because the nosecone is always exposed, both in the launcher and in the carry bag (three rockets in a bag on a guy's back), they easily get dented and rendered duds.  

Ross
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#12]

I like the guy with the ball peen hammer waiting for his turn.

'Maybe if we pound the warhead with a hammer really hard....'

I know the RPG probably already detonated, but even so, it's funny.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#13]
It might not be a thng of beauty, but it looks like it works real good
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody remember the German Pzkw IV (h) or Pzkw III (J)?  Both had skirt armor that was used to defeat hollow charged ammunition.  I think the Germans introduced a more mesh type armor later.  It appears that we have gone full circle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mebbe the Russians weren't dummies after all

What does Russia have to do with this?

WE invented this armor- in Vietnam.  By the USN on Riverine Monitors and Armored Troop Carriers.

You know that guy is freekin NUTS to be playing with that RPG round like that.  They are not known for their quality of construction.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The RPG is a shaped charge and must detonate within a certain distance of the surface to be effective.  The RPG has a piezo on its tip to start the detonation when it strike the surface.

The RPG fence detonates the warhead away from the surface, severely attenuating the damage caused by the weapon.

This is is pretty old idea . . . too bad we didn't start using it earlier.

Disconnector

If you look at the Brown Water Navy of the Vietnam War you'll see it has been in use for quite some time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have great respect for the Ruskies, they know a good thing when they see it; and the USA, has the mentatlity if "we didn't invent it, it doesn't exist."

The grid/mesh is the epitome of the KISS principle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does Russia have to do with this?

WE invented this armor- in Vietnam.  By the USN on Riverine Monitors and Armored Troop Carriers.

You know that guy is freekin NUTS to be playing with that RPG round like that.  They are not known for their quality of construction.

Then the pictures of similar armor on T-34s, or even mattress springs on T34s, were all faked?

Hell, I have even seen pics of Allied troops using similar armor, although later in the war. The Bazooka and Panzerfaust would be the motivation, I assume.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I cant believe I'm the first to say this...dupe, from about 2 weeks ago.

FYI, there is no warhead attached in the pic
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I think they also used Zimmerit to protect against magnetic mines as well

Quoted:
Anybody remember the German Pzkw IV (h) or Pzkw III (J)?  Both had skirt armor that was used to defeat hollow charged ammunition.  I think the Germans introduced a more mesh type armor later.  It appears that we have gone full circle.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I cant believe I'm the first to say this...dupe, from about 2 weeks ago.

FYI, there is no warhead attached in the pic

Who cares?  I am so tired of the dupe police around here

"Dupilicious  - someone posted this three months ago ..." etc.  Is it possible that perhaps a majority of folks missed it the first go round?  How many bytes does a message take, 20-200K?  How big are the hard disks on the servers here?  30-40 Gigs minimum.  Lets get real.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top