Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 4:21:00 PM EDT
He supposedly test positive in 1991 and is still around and not sick.

Was this a plot to get recognition of the disease in american Urban areas to try to curb further spread?

Remember this disease was still pretty young in 1991.  We didn;t start scanning blood banks till 1985.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert at this stuff, but from what I undertand he's HIV+, but he doesn't have AIDS at the moment. HIV is just a precursor to AIDS. I think he is probably taking a handful of pills a day to keep AIDS suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There are lots of folks who have tested positive & not gotten sick for 20 years or more. Keep in mind Magic had several things going for him: he was in great physical shape, i.e. no couch potato & he has lots of $$$$ to buy the best treatment possible. Both of those put him ahead of the curve on HIV, IMO.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I alway thought the curve was about 7-10 years right?we are going on 14 years!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
He's HIV+.  He also has a shitload of money to get the best treatments for it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the most tinfoil hatted, conspiracy theory post I have ever seen here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe he's living in a plastic bubble.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I know someone who tested positive in 1990 and is only starting to get sick now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There are lots of folks who have tested positive & not gotten sick for 20 years or more. Keep in mind Magic had several things going for him: he was in great physical shape, i.e. no couch potato & he has lots of $$$$ to buy the best treatment possible. Both of those put him ahead of the curve on HIV, IMO.

This pretty much explains it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Magic = My Ass Got It Coach
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
healthy people tend to last longer than needle using dopers when they get HIV
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Hiv is kinda like a murder charge, if you have enough money you can get away with it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is the most tinfoil hatted, conspiracy theory post I have ever seen here.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

and what he said
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I've read about people that appear to have some level of immunity and go for a very long time HIV+ without developing symptoms, even without all the wonder drugs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever it is, he's getting plenty of milage out of this alleged disease.  The real unanswered question is how he got it in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Whatever it is, he's getting plenty of milage out of this alleged disease.  The real unanswered question is how he got it in the first place.

Too many skank hos in too many cities.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I was reading about a prostitute in Africa that sleeps with hundreds of men and she has never aquired the HIV. She has a natural immunity to it. She never tests positive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Uh.... It's Magic friggin Johnson. I doubt he got it any other way then from banging freaky nasty whores.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Why in god's name would a hetero in 1991 claim to be HIV+ when he's not? What POSSIBLE PERSONAL BENEFIT could be obtained by doing this?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The earth HAS stopped spinning...I agree with Bob here on this one...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hiv is kinda like a murder charge, if you have enough money you can get away with it.

No...there's no statute of limitations on the ultimate death sentence.  His money will not prevent it from becoming AIDS at some point-unless they find a permanent cure.

HH
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've read about people that appear to have some level of immunity and go for a very long time HIV+ without developing symptoms, even without all the wonder drugs.

There are well-documented cases in medical journals of this phenomenon.  They have found many African prostitutes with the ability to harbor the virus without contracting AIDS.  They have found many gay men in the U.S. as well.  Thanks to genetic variability, it is a practical impossibility to wipe out humanity with a single pathogenic virus or bacteria.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Why in god's name would a hetero in 1991 claim to be HIV+ when he's not? What POSSIBLE PERSONAL BENEFIT could be obtained by doing this?

Well the rate of infection among Blacks is way over other groups.  He is an icon that blacks looked up to.

He did bring tons of attention to the disease.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I alway thought the curve was about 7-10 years right?we are going on 14 years!

There are documented cases of HIV+ individuals who have not developed full blown AIDS over a much longer time span than the typical progression.  This may be due to some advantage in their immune system, or perhaps a weaker strain of the virus.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the rate of infection among Blacks is way over other groups.  He is an icon that blacks looked up to.

True enough.  But why would he have faked having the disease to do so?  It's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I was reading about a prostitute in Africa that sleeps with hundreds of men and she has never aquired the HIV. She has a natural immunity to it. She never tests positive.

They're seeing 'immunity' among a significant number of African prostitutes.

I can't think of a better (relative term there) population to watch to find people who have some genetic advantage--they probably get innoculated with dozens of strains of the virus every year (every month?), so the ones who don't have some genetic immune advantage would die out relatively quickly.  Watch the population for long enough, and hope you can figure out how the ones who stay healthy manage to do so.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Lord almighty, ending up with only gays and whores to carry on the human race....

Quoted:They have found many African prostitutes with the ability to harbor the virus without contracting AIDS. They have found many gay men in the U.S. as well.
Thanks to genetic variability, it is a practical impossibility to wipe out humanity with a single pathogenic virus or bacteria.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True enough.  But why would he have faked having the disease to do so?  It's ridiculous.

People just react that way.  They think of celebs as people they actually know.  After Clinton had his surgery I saw in the news they had a double or triple number of men coming in to get checked out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#29]
He said he did, but I never really believed the HIV thing anyway.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
He said he did, but I never really believed the HIV thing anyway.

Magic Johnson was still playing at a very high level in the NBA. Are you suggesting he made up the story so he could give up the fame of being a superstar basketball player, a multi-million dollar contract,  the nightly adulation of millions of fans, and the opportunity to "meet and greet" women in cities all across the country as he travelled with his team?

You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#31]
OK you guys are going to blast me. I heard a tale that there was an African doctor who claimed to have the cure. But being that he hated America hhe would not give it up.

It was also said that Magic some how got in contact with this man and Purchased the cure from him. I myself believe that Magic does not have HIV. I also think that there are cures for almost every major disease known to man.

But being that America is all about making money they refuse to release vacines for certain money making viruses. Like HIV/AIDS.

I also think that the reason gas prices are so high is because we may start to use other means of fuel for things in the future. So the government is getting paid for gas now in preparation to replace it with something else.

I know it may sound stupid but thats just my opinion. Think about it. If we can build hybrid gas/electric cars why cant we build full electric cars. Because that would put gas companies out of bidness.

I could rant on but I will wait for the flames first.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe he's a zombie.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Magic tested positive at his annual physical. When the news was known, other NBA players did not want to play against him because they were afraid of getting his blood on themselves. That was unlikly but Johnson was pretty much forced out. His money has provided the best care available and has kept him from full blown aids so far.

As for the doctor in Africa having a cure. Not likely since Aids is on still one of the highest killing diseases in Africa. That doctor may not like the US but that is hardly an excuse for letting millions in Africa die each year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:33:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are well-documented cases in medical journals of this phenomenon.  They have found many African prostitutes with the ability to harbor the virus without contracting AIDS.  They have found many gay men in the U.S. as well.  Thanks to genetic variability, it is a practical impossibility to wipe out humanity with a single pathogenic virus or bacteria.

Wonder if they are running experiments on these folks. Or at least their blood. I am no scientist or doctor but I figure these people could have the key for the cure or a vaccine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OK you guys are going to blast me. I heard a tale that there was an African doctor who claimed to have the cure. But being that he hated America hhe would not give it up.

Can anyone name one viral illness that man has cured? [Crickets chirping] After all the untold Billions spent on researching the Common Cold, there still is no cure. Treat the symptoms and let it run its course.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can anyone name one viral illness that man has cured? [Crickets chirping] After all the untold Billions spent on researching the Common Cold, there still is no cure. Treat the symptoms and let it run its course.

Of course there are no cures. There is more money to be made treating it rather then curing it. Just my humble 2 cent.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#37]
he uses all of the money he has and goes across seas and uses all the experimental stuff that our government doesn't use and won't. And from the looks of it it works, so I think they is something our government does know or is to full of themselves to admit that other countries may have better medicine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Between DNA & bio-chemical engineering, scientists are isolating the gene of people who haven't become HIV despite exposure to the AIDS virus.  A vaccine may show up within 2 years time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I have always heard that Magic has not tested positive after some time,  and didn't even have a trace of the virus (antibodies, etc) in his system.

Could it be possible that an activist working for the lab may have wanted more focus put onto the heterosexual community, to make it look like "heteros get this disease too", and to do this could have switched blood samples with a known HIV positive sample?  What better way to show that it's not just a gay disease than show a prominent, promiscuous heterosexual celebrity with HIV?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Here is a link to a story on an epilepsy drug showing major promise on HIV treatment.
aids.about.com/od/clinicaltrials/a/valproic.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Remember this disease was still pretty young in 1991.  We didn;t start scanning blood banks till 1985.

Its not young. Its been around for over 50 years. It was started by belgium doctors in the congo. They gave MILLIONS of people an experimental polio vaccine made from a LIVE virus that used chimp kidneys.

The evidence is significant and about to get even more substantial.

www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dissent/documents/AIDS/River/Prospect.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have always heard that Magic has not tested positive after some time,  and didn't even have a trace of the virus (antibodies, etc) in his system.

Could it be possible that an activist working for the lab may have wanted more focus put onto the heterosexual community, to make it look like "heteros get this disease too", and to do this could have switched blood samples with a known HIV positive sample?  What better way to show that it's not just a gay disease than show a prominent, promiscuous heterosexual celebrity with HIV?

Just a thought.

If someone told you that you had AIDS / HIV would you not get a second opinion / test?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#43]
You're kidding right Clean_Cut?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You'll find more powerball lottery winners than you will those folks, IMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top