Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 1:08:56 PM EDT
Think of it. Major city...large trading center...next to 20 percent of Americans fresh water supply. Why wouldn't they want to nuke it?

Is Chicago in the crosshairs?
Smuggling a nuclear weapon into the city is not as improbable as it may seem

By Graham Allison
Published August 16, 2005
Chicago Tribune

Many Americans consider the idea of a nuclear bomb exploding in an American city to be Hollywood science fiction, but FBI warnings that terrorists may be planning an attack on Chicago are hitting close to home and are eerily familiar.

One month after the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center, a CIA agent code-named "Dragonfire" reported that Al Qaeda had acquired a small nuclear bomb from the former Soviet arsenal and had brought it to New York City.

Vice President Dick Cheney and hundreds of other government officials evacuated Washington for a then-undisclosed location. President Bush dispatched nuclear experts to search for signs of radiation.

Mercifully, Dragonfire's report was a false alarm.

The truth, however, is that the U.S. government had no grounds to dismiss the warning. While not likely, it is possible that Al Qaeda is hiding nuclear bombs in one or several American cities today. So who can say that the trucks the FBI warned about might not contain weapons of mass destruction?

Smuggling a nuclear weapon into Chicago is not as improbable as it seems.

The highly enriched uranium needed to build a simple nuclear weapon is smaller than a football. It could be smuggled through American borders and into the metropolis the way illegal drugs come into the city every day: in uninspected cargo containers delivered by ships and trains, contraband smuggled over the Canadian-American border, or innumerable other ways.

Why might Al Qaeda aspire to such a difficult, deadly assault? Bin Laden has challenged the Al Qaeda movement to trump Sept. 11. That calls for attacks more spectacular than hijacking jumbo jets to crash into trophy buildings. The ultimate terrorist spectacle would be an American city enveloped by a nuclear mushroom cloud.

In May 2003 Osama bin Laden obtained a fatwa from a Saudi cleric providing religious justification for Al Qaeda's use of nuclear weapons against the United States. Titled "A Treatise on the Legal Status for Using Weapons of Mass Destruction Against Infidels," it asserts that "if a bomb that killed 10 million of them and burned as much of their land as they have burned Muslims' lands or dropped on them, it would be permissible."

If a bomb were put in the back of a tanker truck, driven downtown, and detonated at the Sears Tower, everything within a third of a mile would vanish. The United Center and all of Grant Park would look like the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. The resulting firestorm and cloud of fallout would reach nearly to U.S. Cellular Field and Wrigley Field.

Despite President Bush's attempt to portray Al Qaeda as irrational "killers who simply want to kill," readers of bin Laden's letters and fatwas can identify clearly his objectives: to force American and other "crusaders" to remove their troops from Arab lands and end support for what bin Laden calls their corrupt puppet governments in Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

Bin Laden wants to convince Americans that the cost of keeping troops in the Middle East exceeds any benefits we can hope to gain. Certainly, no one can predict how Americans would react to Chicago being turned into an American Hiroshima. The real question, however, is what Al Qaeda operatives think they could achieve.

With FBI warnings that terrorists could wreck havoc with 18-wheelers, it is not surprising that 77 percent of Chicago's residents fear that an attack is imminent. Let's just pray it's not nuclear.

Would Mecca get nuked if they used nukes here?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course they would.  Isn't that a silly question.  They'd hit anything they could.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Of course they would.  Isn't that a silly question.  They'd hit anything they could.

Not really, because Chicago is home to a VERY large Islamic population.

Would they nuke their own?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1, the only reason they havent yet is that they are not ready.  Sooner or later there will be another attack.  I just hope the appropriate president is in office.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the same reason they blow up their own in the middle east.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think collateral damage is low on the list of the concerns of the Islamic terrorists mindset.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the majority of the islamic poplulation is in the far southwest suburbs, miles away from downtown chicago
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are fighting for control of Iraq. That's why they are blowing up their own. Because the ones in Iraq are willing to work with the Infidels.

In Chicago or any other large Islamic population, would they be willing to really "sacrifice" their "believers"?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are fighting for control of Iraq. That's why they are blowing up their own. Because the ones in Iraq are willing to work with the Infidels.

In Chicago or any other large Islamic population, would they be willing to really "sacrifice" their "believers"?

And they are fighting to control and destroy America as well. And fuck their beleivers because if they side with Al-Qaeda they should be nuked anyway.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the past is an indicator, yes they would kill their own.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the majority of the islamic poplulation is in the far southwest suburbs, miles away from downtown chicago

If I hear that a large percentage of muslims are leaving big cities, I won't go near them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh, they had 19 targets listed here in Arkansas.  They probably have better intel than the russians did 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Uh, they had 19 targets listed here in Arkansas.  They probably have better intel than the russians did 25 years ago.

Where did you find that out?

I'd like to see what they had listed here in Michigan.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely not. Mayor Daley is making the streets of Chicago safe for all. Nothing bad could happen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#18]
word of mouth from a federal agent that came to talk to my old fire dept in mid 02.    At one point we trained on the Little Rock Fire depts engines because we were going to be working with them to replace the firefighters any possible terrorist attacks killed.  We have a nuclear power plant.  A few active and a few non active military bases.  During the cold war we were one of the USSR's first strike targets.  Arkansas had a shitload of ICBM.  Silos are still all over.  some people live in them.  Others mushroom farm.  Others are still shoot to kill zones.  So I think they still have nukes.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#19]
If someone were to nuke Chicago .. .. ..
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Would Mecca get nuked if they used nukes here?

I would hope so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]
If they ever get ahold of a nerve agent the windy citty would be a great choice for dispersal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh Dear Lord, I hope not.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  A lot of the Muslims/Arabs live next town over from me, in a town called Bridgeview.  Large islamic population there.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If someone were to nuke Chicago .. .. ..

Illinois would be a better place.   Sorry Oslow, I just had to finish your thought.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Personally speaking, I wouldn't  mind seeing the blight of Illinois ass removed with extreme prejudice.

You would not mind me being nuked? Collateral damage?

While I have no great love for this town, I do live here.

I look forward to meeting you at Buffalo Rock to talk about it...

edit - I always forget the damn 'con.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bin Laden has said any tax paying American male is their enemy. If Muslims are paying taxes to the US government, they are financial supporting the oppression of muslims according to him.

Therefore, according to Bind Laden's own words, everyone who lives and works in this country is fair game for the terrorists.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why not? they've killed their own in every arab country, why not kill them here too.
look at iraq, they're killing fellow muslims/arabs by the truck load
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If they ever get ahold of a nerve agent the windy citty would be a great choice for dispersal.

lol, it got the nick name "Windy City" not from the blowing winds, but from the blow hardy politicians.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted: Not really, because Chicago is home to a VERY large Islamic population. Would they nuke their own?
 Muslim terrorists murder Muslim children all the time with homicide bombers.  I wouldn't put it beyond them.  If they hit us like that, we should Nuke Mecca!  While we're at it, we should Nuke the North Koreans and Iranians too.  Why hold back at that point?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol, it got the nick name "Windy City" not from the blowing winds, but from the blow hardy politicians.

YUP
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If they ever get ahold of a nerve agent the windy city would be a great choice for dispersal.

several points here:

too much wind will disperse the nerve agent too much and you won't have sufficent concentration. But again, this is a postulated terrorist attack and not a WMD attack by a military force

In that liberal shit hole, I wish them well in their endeavors. The RoP'ers could nuke that place into a ½ mile deep glowing crater and still have 1.2 million Demonkrap voters appear.

one of the things that will be key in their minds will be the # of Jews in the area that they would kill in their attack. Not sure on the % of the population of Chicago would be high enough to attract the AQ as would NYC or Dade County, FL.

wganz

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top