Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 10:07:13 AM EDT
I had met many LEO's in my local community because of the retail shop were I worked. I had become very adapt at catching shoplifters and spent almost every Tuesday night in court. I would often talk firearms and shooting with several of the LEO's. One day they invited me to come out to their range for some trigger time.

I loaded up the back of my car with all kinds of goodies at the time. I had a Colt Carbine, M1 Carbine, Mossy 500 and my S&W 645. A couple of the LEO's I did no know had no idea civie's could even own such weapons. I had a big time showing off my toys and letting them shoot my carbines.

They ran me through their standard qualification course and I scored in the mid 90's. They asked me if I had ever been on a ride-a-long. I had never been near a cop car before. It was set up for the next weekend I would do a ride-a-long. The LEO I would be riding with was a great guy.

Along comes Saturday night, I head down to the local PD to meet my ride. He was running late on another call. The Sergeant and I talked for a few minutes. My ride shows up. He asks me what I'm packing. I told him my pistol was in my car. He told to go get it. I put on my S&W 645, in my Miami Classic sholder rig (My Miami Vice rig ). It was cold out so my pistol was concealed under my coat.

Got in the cruiser and he was showing me all the buttons etc. How to unlock the shotgun etc.. We roll out into the night. We made a few traffic stops, nothing big, saw him write a few tickets. We backed up another officer on a traffic stop. He took me for a ride through the "bad" part of town. Kind of  creeped my out at first.

It was getting late, just a little after midnight, traffic had died down and we had a couple of patrol requests to do. We went around shaking doors on businesses, checking out some back alley areas of business and such. We then rode by one of the schools to check it out. Later on in my LEO career I would find out that a lot of businesses and schools would leave doors and windows unlocked. Then we headed to the highschool.

At the highschool we pulled into the parking lot. The LEO cut off his lights and just watched the building for few minutes. We then started to drive around the the side of building. Got out checked the side doors, all were locked. We then pulled around back.

You could see in the dark on out shoot of the building a car was parked with the front end towards us. The LEO told me it was probably some teenagers parking and getting a little nooky. We were going to go check it out. As we pull up closer we could movement outside the car on it's backside.

Whoever it was saw us, two guys were making a run for the car and one was climbing out the back window of the school. They jumped in their car, started it up and drove right past us. We did a rapid turn around and were after the guys. Lights flashing, siren blaring and the LEO was calling in what had happened.

Through the parking lot out and out on the road we go chasing after these guys. We are right on these guys tails. Driving though all kinds of side streets, heading back towards the "bad" side of town. Up ahead I see flashing lights coming towards us and the bad guys cut onto another side road.

We go about  100 yards down this road and they try to make a very sharp right hand turn. The driver oversteered, hit the ditch and culvert. They were stuck. Luckily we were right behind them and a little further behind us backup was coming. The LEO bailed out and drew his gun. He looked over at me standing outside the passenger door and told me draw down.

The LEO has his HKP7M13 out and I have my stainless 645. He called the guys out of the car and started cuffing them as the backup officers arrived. Soon all three guys were wearing cuffs. Popped the trunk and there were several computers stolen from the school.

I was hooked. A few rides later, I was a reserve officer and signed up for the academy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What he didn't let you shoot anyone?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Seams odd that they let you bring your own heat, I love AL.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What he didn't let you shoot anyone?

Nope. This was my first time to ever point a gun at someone. Scared the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I guess because I had been shooting with them before he let me.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#5]
He could've at least let you taze one of them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always wanted to do a ride along. I think I'll give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He could've at least let you taze one of them.

They did not have tasers back then.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess because I had been shooting with them before he let me.

Man, a cop around here would lose his job  for letting a civilian carry, much less point his gun at a feeling burglar, during a ride along.

Well you have to remember this is Alabama and it happened back in 1990.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Sounds almost like Bart Simpson's ride along.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Your Podunk stories are some of the finest! I love these!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They don't have lawyers in Alabama?

(cool!)

Yes, but they were not the crooks this time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#14]
you go boy! Alabama need's Heroes like you...Bully On
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#15]

People were stealing computers from schools back in 1990? Apple II GS's or something? Those are antiques now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They don't have lawyers in Alabama?

(cool!)

Yes, but they were not the crooks this time.

It's funny because it's true!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I always look forward to your stories!

HH
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
People were stealing computers from schools back in 1990? Apple II GS's or something? Those are antiques now.

I don't know. I know we were using some IBM's in college around that time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#20]
bump
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Great story Bama!

Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top