Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 9:44:00 AM EDT
When did the use of the word "sucks" become acceptable in polite conversation?  When I was growing up; many years ago, the term sucks, suck, sucked were used with the unsaid meaning that it was refering to oral stimulation of the male penis.  Now the term is used in TV commercials and everyday speech.  If the use of the word suck is being used as a negative, what is it refering to?  Vaccume cleaners suck and this is not an undesirable characteristic.

The universal use of the word "guy" to both genders bothers me too, though not to the point of starting a gender specific movement for the use of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
All my life it was another word for "that stinks" or someting like that. Never has a sexual meaning behind it for me. I remember it like that for as long as I have been alive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't there some Simpsons episode where Marge was appaled that Bart used the word "suck" and couldn't understand where he had picked it up.

.. and then you hear Homer on the phone, saying something like "..yeah, that was the suckiest suck that ever sucked"  

ETA - Found it (Google rocks):
Homer: "Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!"
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When did the use of the word "sucks" become acceptable in polite conversation?  When I was growing up; many years ago, the term sucks, suck, sucked were used with the unsaid meaning that it was refering to oral stimulation of the male penis.  Now the term is used in TV commercials and everyday speech.  If the use of the word suck is being used as a negative, what is it refering to?  Vaccume cleaners suck and this is not an undesirable characteristic.

The universal use of the word "guy" to both genders bothers me too, though not to the point of starting a gender specific movement for the use of it.

Oh man, I can't believe someone has finally said this. I've had this conversation with my wife before and it really makes me feel old. I saw a TV commercial this week for some electronics store or chain, and the whole ad was created around saying something like "Our stuff doesn't suck." If that's the most creative this company's advertising agency can come up with, they really need to look into a different line of work.

As far as the use of "guys" goes, once again my wife would probably just roll her eyes and think "Oh no, here we go..." It makes me nuts everytime I go to a restaurant either with just my wife, or with our three kids, and we get greeted by some bubble-headed waitress or waiter that says "Hi guys. Smoking or non-smoking?"

I once saw this same greeting extended to a group of three women in the late 60's to early 70's age group, and it was all I could do to restrain myself from telling off the idiot who said it. I guess it's official: I'm on my way to becoming a curmudgeon.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
What is the big deal?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All my life it was another word for "that stinks" or someting like that. Never has a sexual meaning behind it for me. I remember it like that for as long as I have been alive.

31 years old and that's pretty much how it is for me too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is the big deal?

+1
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Whenever some suckhead that I don't like uses that word, I tell them that "suck" is transitive and ask what are you referring to. They get embarrassed when they think about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I got on to my 8 year old the other day for using that word.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

When someone died by being pulled under by the currents in the water.  Cause, that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys, this thread is starting to suck

I tend to be quite specific with what words I choose to express my thoughts.
'Sucks' has never held much of a direct sexual connotation for me, but I do think that there are more expressive word choices that demonstrate a lack of desirability.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I"ll go back to that's fucking gay then.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the term sucks, suck, sucked were used with the unsaid meaning that it was refering to oral stimulation of the male penis
[...]
If the use of the word suck is being used as a negative, what is it refering to?  Vaccume cleaners suck and this is not an undesirable characteristic.

Neither is getting a BJ. What's your point?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
double tap

*BANG* *BANG*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top