Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 8:57:59 AM EDT
The other topic about the GazA withdrawal seemed to go pretty far down the toilet into personal opinion and international politics.

Can some one who is very familiar with the geography and current situation, please describe:

WHERE IS THE NEW WALL, HOW FAR ALONG IS THE PROJECT, AND WHAT GEOGRAPHIC SECTIONS WILL BE DIVIDED BY IT?

DOES THE WALL PLAY A PART IN THE GAZA WITHDRAWAL?  IN OTHER WORDS, DOES THE WALL SEPARATE ISRAEL FROM ANY PART OF GAZA, NOW OR IN IT'S FINAL FORM?

Please at least answer the above in terms of just geography and the surrent situation, and let the geo-politics spill into page 2 (if this post lasts that long.)

Thanks.  I just want a better understanding of the geography involved.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
As to the Wall, the one currently under construction is on the other side of the country and isn;t connected to events in Gaza. However, Gaza has been walled (actually fenced) off for several years, which is one big reason that Gaza has not been the origin of many attacks on Israel.

The new wall is in the eastern part of the country, and takes in a part of the West Bank, separating a number of settlements from the rest of the West Bank.

If you do a Google image search for [ "west bank" wall ], you'll find several of them. Some are a little hard to understand. The part shaped like a backwards "B" is the West Bank. The wall sort of skims along the western edge of that territory, dipping in occasionally to pick up some settlements. If you have questions after looking at the maps, I'll try to help sort it out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As to the Wall, the one currently under construction is on the other side of the country and isn;t connected to events in Gaza. However, Gaza has been walled (actually fenced) off for several years, which is one big reason that Gaza has not been the origin of many attacks on Israel.

The new wall is in the eastern part of the country, and takes in a part of the West Bank, separating a number of settlements from the rest of the West Bank.

If you do a Google image search for [ "west bank" wall ], you'll find several of them. Some are a little hard to understand. The part shaped like a backwards "B" is the West Bank. The wall sort of skims along the western edge of that territory, dipping in occasionally to pick up some settlements. If you have questions after looking at the maps, I'll try to help sort it out.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'll just throw out: the the current strategy of building a secure and defendable border is exactly right.  From what I understand the settlements out in the fringes, among the Arabs, has always been a bad idea.  A countries' border shouldn't be defined about a few loose-cannon squatters.  Every time they get hit the IDA has to respond.  With a solid defendable border, and disengagement from the "Palestineans" (Arabs) Israel will be more secure and the vermin on the other side of the wall can "govern themselves" into oblivion without Israeli "interference."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top