Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2005 5:19:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you need to re-frame from talking bad about the LEO, the wolf pack was very nice to you from the way your story went, by no means were you harassed  Mr. TJ.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's midnight and I'm returning from the drivein in our convertable with my family when there before me is an almost blinding bank of blue lights and red flares directing the traffic into a single line.

On both sides of the lane are lines of cops.

They seriously harrassed me by continually saying "Evening, how are you." and crap like "Nice car." and "Cute Dog". as they waved me right on through.

I actually see a deputy who flags me down to a complete stop then leans over on my door.  He says, "How you been? Haven't seen for a while."  I reply politely, "Fine and you?"  He replies "Not to happy about having to pull this DUI check tonight but otherwise just fine.  See you at the range."

Damn my JBT stories suck!

Kidding aside, we often post about how bad our experiences are with LEOs and I thought a change of pace would be refreshing.  I mean this wasn't as much a stop as social gathering confronted with smiling faces and good wishes on both sides of my car.

We really have good cops in our county and I'm proud my tax dollars are spent on such people.  Don't care for the idea of road blocks but if you got to have one it couldn't have been manned with better people.

Flame away!

Tj

Damn they didn't even
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
never had a bad run in with law enforcement ......(knock knock)
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

All I've met have been respectful peoeple.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bad taste.

Further reductions of our liberties to be 'left alone' is hardly a matter for jest.

Yes, I know that DWIs cause fatalities and injuries, but so do firearms.

So, let's just ban the firearms and force all citizens to walk wherever thay go.

Sorry.

Eric The(NoSenseOfHumor)Hun

Agreed, but I certainly get TJ's attitude.  
Better to have those things manned by folks who hate working them, than power hungry jerks who enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I was pulled over yesterday by a state trooper for 67 in a 55.
Now state troopers here never let anyone off.
Further this is a chick. My experiences with them invlove nothing but obtuse power tripping.
So she walks up to the car. And she was really nice, smiling and talking. Asked me how fast I was going and I told her. She said she was just going to give me a warning. Almost apologetically.

WTF?
World coming to an end or what?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I
I actually see a deputy who flags me down to a complete stop then leans over on my door.  He says, "How you been? Haven't seen for a while."  I reply politely, "Fine and you?"  

When they lean over and get in your face they're trying to smell your breath for alcohol, I try to move over the same distance they lean forward.

There's even a flashlight with an alcohol sensor they use to be sneaky about that.  I've heard of a clipboard model a while back.

Here's a flashlight model www.pasintl.com/304.htm

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Further this is a chick. My experiences with them invlove nothing but obtuse power tripping.
So she walks up to the car. And she was really nice, smiling and talking. Asked me how fast I was going and I told her. She said she was just going to give me a warning. Almost apologetically.

WTF?

You were speeding.

The 'chick' had every right to pull you over.

That she let you off with a warning is perfectly legit.

Now, how does your situation compare to a 'dragnet?"

Eric The('JustTheFact,Ma'am,JustTheFacts.'~OfficerJoeFriday)Hun

Eric, I think you are losing it dude. Maybe you should re-read my post in the appropriate context. Ah, nevermind.

BTW, my bro-in-law is a deputy sheriff and his name is...you guessed it. Joe Friday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

All I've met have been respectful peoeple.

+1, all but one I've met have been the same.  I was 15, was 4pm, I was taking a walk outside and some idiot was setting off fireworks, and I knew who said idiot was.  Female cop parks car near me, I stop and wait for her with my hands in the open, cop walks up to me, shines flashlight right in my face and says "Who's setting off the fireworks ?".  No greeting, nothing, just the flashlight in the face and a question.  Because of her rude behavior, I told her "Sorry officer, I have no idea, but it sounds like it's coming from over there *points*".  Then she just walked away.  I'd have told her the truth if she had simply been a little more polite.  Like try not using the flashlight at 4 in the afternoon and walking up to me saying "Hello, we've had some reports of...." or something to that effect.  The rest I've ever encountered have been alright.  Seems the JBT factor only applies to a minority, based on my experience.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:05:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Eric, I think you are losing it dude.

Maybe I never had 'it.'

Maybe you should re-read my post in the appropriate context. Ah, nevermind.

If a joke has to be explained, it ceases to be a joke.

It becomes commentary.

BTW, my bro-in-law is a deputy sheriff and his name is...you guessed it. Joe Friday.

I bet he never gets tired of that joke!

Eric The('Book'Em,Danno!'Wait,IHaveACousinInLawEnforcementNamed'Danny')Hun

When you get caught with your foot in your mouth the best response is usually to bite down, hard.

I would agree, you probably never really had 'it'.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Bad taste.

Further reductions of our liberties to be 'left alone' is hardly a matter for jest.

So, let's just ban the firearms and force all citizens to walk wherever thay go.

Sorry.

Yeah, if you think getting stopped at checkpoints is a "good LEO experience", I think you've already shifted your values too far to the left.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

When you get caught with your foot in your mouth the best response is usually to bite down, hard.

Is this something your mother told you?

I would agree, you probably never really had 'it'.

I know your mother never told you that!

Eric The(To caught up in myself to admit when I am obviously wrong, in spite of overwhelming evidence,I'd rather just be a dick)Hun

No, actually it was your mother.

Is there anyone else here with a 6th grade reading comprehension who didn't understand the point of my initial post?
Didn't think so
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You young folks might think this is just a 'slippery slope.'
We old geezers know that the Republic has fallen and can't get up.

Eric The(libertarian)Hun

I hope you're wrong, sir.
I sincerely hope you're wrong.
Some days I believe it.
Some days I don't/can't.

But if I don't believe there is hope, then it's all for naught, and I might as well become lawless and give up on society.
So I will keep on trying to make a difference for the rest of my days.
Since I have a family now, I have no choice but to keep trying.
Trying to educate sheeple; correspond to my representatives.
Maybe run for local offices, etc...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#20]
My run-ins with the NYPD can be pretty rough.  Frightfully, I approach one of the officers and ask, "This is a stupid question, but do you know of a good <insert Ethnic food> restaurant around here?  One of my friends tells me it's near here."

They respond in that famous New York accent, "Oh, sure, you head three blocks that way, go north up..."

I always feel bad about stopping them, but when the cabbies don't know where they're going and it's hard to find someone speaks English, the police can deliver.  Always friendly, never help begrudgingly.  Sorry for bugging you, officers!  

In fact, I've been hoping to get searched on the subways just to see what the deal is, and I haven't managed it yet.  They probably see me and say, "Oh, that's the kid who is always bugging us about restaurants.  He's harmless."

(I don't see how DUI checkpoints can be constitutional, but it is one of many things that doesn't make sense to me.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

You were speeding.

The 'chick' had every right to pull you over.

That she let you off with a warning is perfectly legit.

Now, how does your situation compare to a 'dragnet?"

Eric The('JustTheFact,Ma'am,JustTheFacts.'~OfficerJoeFriday)Hun

He is just saying that he had a good run it witht he cops last time even though he did something wrong. Afterall, the title of the post is "Run In With The Cops Last Night" not "CALLING ETH TO TAKE MY THREAD WAY OFF TOPIC!!!! PLEASE!!!"
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#24]
TJ!!! THIS IS BULLSHIT!!! call the ACLU and DEMAND that your rights COULD have been violated!!!

I have had run ins like you have and Honestly I have even been pulled over on a few occasions and didnt even get a ticket... just a warning... came from different agencies too... Local city cops, County Sheriff, ATF, FBI..... Well OK NOT the ATF or FBI

Eric, You OK? You are not yourself today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

WTF?

Was she hot??
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Was she hot??

So-so. My wife and daughter thought she was cute though.
She looked like she weighed in at about 110lbs dripping wet. Little bitty thing.

Very positive experience with an LEO. Polite and pleasant.  Even if she had given me a citation I would have said the same.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

He is just saying that he had a good run it witht he cops last time even though he did something wrong.

I understood that.

Afterall, the title of the post is "Run In With The Cops Last Night" not "CALLING ETH TO TAKE MY THREAD WAY OFF TOPIC!!!! PLEASE!!!"

Sorry, but I am discussing 'run ins' with the Cops that may not be so sanguine.

'Sanguine', get it?

Eric The(EverHopeful)Hun

Quoted:

Kidding aside, we often post about how bad our experiences are with LEOs and I thought a change of pace would be refreshing.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#28]
No one shot my dog yesterday.
Oh wait, I dont have a dog but then noone stomped on my cat yesterday either.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#30]

A checkpoint is a checkpoint. Today it was DWI, insurance cards. Next is guns and whatever else they feel like fishing for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I still say that those CHECKPOINTS should be illegal, regardless of wether they're manned by good cops or bad cops.

Papers, Comrade?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

When they lean over and get in your face they're trying to smell your breath for alcohol, I try to move over the same distance they lean forward.

There's even a flashlight with an alcohol sensor they use to be sneaky about that.  I've heard of a clipboard model a while back.

As a working musician, I see a lot of these "checkpoints", usually at 2:00 am or so, most are no problem, just the hassle of it.

I did go thru one a while back where a state trooper stuck one of those flashlights in my face through the open window.

Blinded the crap out of me - could see nothing but spots at that point.

He then then told me several times to go ahead and I told him I wasn't moving till I could regain my vision. He wasn't a happy camper at that point, but I'm not taking a chance with my Z71 and 12' trailer full of band gear.

Hard Lesson learned - From now on, I won't open my window except for a couple inches to hand them my license.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#36]
My worst problem with a JBT was he was late relieving me for lunch!!! damn Rookie
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Hey ETH, how are you doing been awhile, Sorry about Scooter...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I
I actually see a deputy who flags me down to a complete stop then leans over on my door.  He says, "How you been? Haven't seen for a while."  I reply politely, "Fine and you?"  

LOL, Yep sometimes but not this time for this was a buddy I shoot with.  I'd already been waved through the block and he was just bored.  

Tj

So a buddy you shoot with talked to you at a roadblock?  Let freedom ring!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#41]
So you are happy that you were illegaly detained by a group of cops on a fishing expedition?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#42]
More desensitizing for future oppression.

Look at any public school, they are already
training the children for it.

GM
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Shouldn't that be (NO knock) ?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So a buddy you shoot with talked to you at a roadblock?  Let freedom ring!!!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bad taste.

Sorry.

Yeah, if you think getting stopped at checkpoints is a "good LEO experience", I think you've already shifted your values too far to the left.  

I've run into several "Insurance checkpoints" in Albuquerque, particularly when I worked late nights.    It's a fishing expedition pure and simple.    

While the cop at the door scrutinizes your registration, insurance card and asks you 20 questions about who you are, where you live, what you're doing......his two buddies are using portable 1,000,000 candle-light power searchlights to search your vehicle.   They slowly walk the length of your vehicle, inspecting everything in it and have asked me what was in my briefcase or picnic cooler.

I wouldn't have minded as much if they were actually doing some good.   But on one ocassion, I couldn't find my insurance card because it had slipped between a gap in the glove box frame.   I didn't get a ticket, just told to go home and find it.      On another ocassion, I was battling a throat infection and using Listerine constantly, so had alcohol on my breath.   My eyes were bloodshot from conjunctivitis, and I was dead tired from work.   Clearly a candidate for an FST, but never was asked.
I think most cops here are tired of our court's  "catch-and-release" program for drunk drivers, and have stopped wasting their time arresting them.

Keep in mind that around 50% of the drivers on the road in New Mexico have NO insurance, and around 12-15% are drunk.

it's pretty clear the insurance check is just a cover for an unlawful stop and search, looking for drugs or other contraband.

And I sure don't miss that BCSO helicopter doing low and slow warrantless searches of my property numerous times a month.   I'm glad no one was seriously injured, but that was another flagrant abuse of power.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I was pulled over yesterday for passing two cars in a legal passing area.   (legal in Washington)

The funny part was as soon as I had passed I saw the red lights in the mirror, so I pulled over to the right.

One of the two slow-assed dumb fucks I had just passed (35 in a 55 mph zone) slowed down and really held up traffic while the other cement headed jackass pulled over and almost ran into the back of me, but missed because I pulled forward when I was the follies going on behind me.

I moved about 50 yards up the road on the right with the emergency flashers on, dumb-ass kept following me while the cop kept trying to get around that shithead!  

When dumb-ass finally figured out that the cop wanted to pass him he swung off the road like he made a right hand turn.

The cop finally had gotten to a point where was able to pull out to pass dumb-ass, except by then jackass deceided he had enough and passed the cop on a double yellow.

As soon as he did that 4 other cars that had been behind me did the same thing, except the pulled out into oncoming traffic.

I swear I thought the cop was going to have a Stg Hulka moment right there, and I figured that I was going to get the biggest ticket he could give to me.

The cop was able to get the 4 morons to back off and wait, he had to honk his horn and crank up the siren to get dumb-ass to move out of his way.

When the traffic cleared he came up to me (which by now I was laughing my ass off) and asked if I knew why I had been pulled over.

I asked "was because I had passed the cars, because that's a legal passing lane, and the lead car was doing 35 in a 55, and there were 7 cars being held up, and there was no oncoming traffic..."

He laughed at me and said I had all of the based covered, then he told me he pulled me over because I had passed two cars at once.

I said "OK".

Then he said "I guess that was not the best traffic stop I ever made" and started to laugh.

He told me that I could go.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#47]
These type threads crack me up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm sure your namesake would have been similarily thrilled to have been assumed guilty until proven innocent.    

He would be very proud of you.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's midnight and I'm returning from the drivein in our convertable with my family when there before me is an almost blinding bank of blue lights and red flares directing the traffic into a single line.

On both sides of the lane are lines of cops.

They seriously harrassed me by continually saying "Evening, how are you." and crap like "Nice car." and "Cute Dog". as they waved me right on through.

I actually see a deputy who flags me down to a complete stop then leans over on my door.  He says, "How you been? Haven't seen for a while."  I reply politely, "Fine and you?"  He replies "Not to happy about having to pull this DUI check tonight but otherwise just fine.  See you at the range."

Damn my JBT stories suck!

Kidding aside, we often post about how bad our experiences are with LEOs and I thought a change of pace would be refreshing.  I mean this wasn't as much a stop as social gathering confronted with smiling faces and good wishes on both sides of my car.

We really have good cops in our county and I'm proud my tax dollars are spent on such people.  Don't care for the idea of road blocks but if you got to have one it couldn't have been manned with better people.

Flame away!

Tj

Wife wants to move that direction, she got her masters from U Tenn Memphis.  I want a job as an LEO.  Sounds like a good agency,  where do you live? I wanna work there.

ETA I've never ran into any cops in a personal situation that were assholes without either having put them in that state of mind or seeing them having damn good reason for it.  Except for here, they are lazy ass unprofessional asses except for ab out 5 or 6 of em and most of them are swat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top