Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 10:15:56 PM EDT
If John "Junior" Gotti hung up his gangster hat as he claims, it's news to mob turncoat Frank "Frankie Fapp" Fappiano — but then so is a lot of well-known mob lore.

"Did you ever hear that he withdrew from the family?" Assistant U.S. Attorney Joon Kim asked Fappiano yesterday, referring to Junior.

"No," the mobster-turned-rat replied during his third day of testimony at Gotti's racketeering trial.

Under questioning by defense lawyer Jeffrey Lichtman, Fappiano admitted he hadn't seen or spoken to Gotti since 1996, but quickly added, "I'm sure I would have gotten word that he retired. That would have been something important."

The witness went on to say he has missed other key Gambino family events, such as the sweetheart deal notorious turncoat Salvatore "Sammy Bull" Gravano got from the feds after putting John "Dapper Don" Gotti away for life.

"You never heard that Sammy Gravano got sentenced to five years in prison for 19 murders?" Lichtman asked incredulously.

"No, I never heard that," Fappiano replied.

He also didn't read Gravano's book, "Underboss."

"I don't get off on reading mob books," Fappiano said, adding that he'd "skimmed the book" and "looked at the pictures," including one of himself. "I am in the life. I didn't need to read it."

The most embarrassing moment for Fappiano came when Lichtman confronted him about highly publicized allegations that he sent love letters to one of the lawyers on his case and was caught holding her hand during a prison visit.

"I wasn't holding hands with her. She took a pen from my hand. The [correction officer] took it the wrong way," Fappiano stammered.

Asked about "steamy" letters between them, the red-faced turncoat said, "I don't know if they were steamy. She did have some letters. They were pertaining to my case — it was very embarrassing."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top