Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 9:50:11 PM EDT
I see it on a number of images around, mostly tanks zooming around. I asked on another thread, but it got locked before it was answered.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have now idea what a VTEC does, but it evidently makes cars go faster. You can hear it when it kicks in, evidently at a certain speed or RPM.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
What does the VTEC system in a Honda engine do?

Vtec -> Honda -> Ricer -> humor
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
VTEC is some sort of series of Honda engine, but a lot of poseurs just put the stickers on their car.  Pretty funny that tankers are painting it on their armor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
VTEC is just the name for a variable timing engine that a lot of Hondas use - gives better fuel economy and a little more power.  When people pimp/rice out their shitty little civics, the VTEC is considered a super-snazzy engine, because it is slightly better than the regular run-of-the-mill engines.  I suppose maybe it's easier to add performance mods to than the regular engines.

So I supposed the "VTEC just kicked in YO!" expression is to make fun of the idiots who rice out their crappy economoboxes, and think "VTEC" is some kind of mega-powerful supercharged fantastic engine.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
VTEC was/is Honda/Acuras name for Varaible Valve Timing. I believe it stands to Valve Timing Electronic Control. It helps power (which they certainly need as slow as ricer cars usually are) as the revs get higher in the RPM band.  I have noticed quite a few ricers nearly wet themselves when the VTEC kicks in, or it could have been the my bros low 10's GN as we blew by.
HTH
John F.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple terms, think of 2 cams.
One is a conservative put put cam, the other is a VROOM VROOM RAWR cam.

At low to mid RPM's you get the put put cam, and at a certain RPM (Like 4 or 5 grand or so) you get the VROOM VROOM RAWR cam.

Thats VTEC.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The engine switches cams at a higher rpm. Big f'in deal.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

At low to mid RPM's you get the put put cam, and at a certain RPM (Like 4 or 5 grand or so) you get the VROOM VROOM RAWR cam.

Thats VTEC.

The low lift duration cam is there purely for better idle.  My Lightning loped pretty bad when I put in my cam. You need the lift on the high end but the idle sucks with it.

When they say it "kicked in" they mean they hit the rpm that changed the cam to the higher lift/duration specs.  Thus power just jumped.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thats VTEC.

That "certain RPM" is 5400, with a redline of 7000. Most never take the revs that high, so it hardly ever kicks in......
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
VTEC is Japanese for Hemi.

Who cares what the cylinder dome shape is?

Keyboard.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 98 prelude with the 195hp VTEC engine.  When you floored it and the tach hit 5,200 rpm it felt like another valve was opened, and a 10hp shot of nitrous.  I didn't really understand how it worked, but basically it's supposed to keep torque at lower rpms and give more hp at higher rpms.

The best I ran in that car was a 14.9@91mph fast as or faster than most stock V8 98 mustangs.  

My 01 civic ex has vtec engine too but I don't feel or hear it kick in at all.  It's a fun little car to flick around, but if I want speed I get on my bike.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had a 98 prelude with the 195hp VTEC engine.  When you floored it and the tach hit 5,200 rpm it felt like another valve was opened, and a 10hp shot of nitrous.  I didn't really understand how it worked, but basically it's supposed to keep torque at lower rpms and give more hp at higher rpms.

The best I ran in that car was a 14.9@91mph fast as or faster than most stock V8 98 mustangs.  

My 01 civic ex has vtec engine too but I don't feel or hear it kick in at all.  It's a fun little car to flick around, but if I want speed I get on my bike.

With how many fatass dudes in the stang? Who is driving a 14 year old?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really shouldn't make comments like that when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.   It wasn't until '99 that Ford started upping the HP in the Mustang GT and getting the 1/4 mile times back down into the 14 second range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really shouldn't make comments like that when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.   It wasn't until '99 that Ford started upping the HP in the Mustang GT and getting the 1/4 mile times back down into the 14 second range.

The man speaks truth. There for a while in the mid 90's the Stangs werent much to write home about, although i couldnt tell you specific years on the deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Are those technical terms?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are those technical terms?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BZZZZZZ

Ford upped the HP's in the 98 stang.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's the Star Wars version. I've had it saved for years.

-Scott (Who will never know what a vtec sounds like)
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
When you're driving an Acura w/VTEC, when it kicks in, it's instantaneous like dropping down into two passing gears. It wails like an F1 engine.  Much stronger than when a turbo kicks in.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The engine switches cams at a higher rpm. Big f'in deal.

Yep, and since it's a tiny engine with very little torque it has to burn gas like there's no tomorrow when "VTEC kicks in". If you see a car with VTEC, go ahead and pick on them, they're easy to beat because they lose acceleration in the lower rpm ranges.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
does anyone make their car selection based upon stoplight-to-stoplight racing?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BZZZZZZ

Yeah, by only 10, bringing it up to 225. The same horse as the fox body 5 liters in the SN95 body car was much slower because the SN95 cars were heavier. Plus the 4.6 did'nt make as much torque so they were still running in the low 15's high 14's. In 99 they got a boost to 260 hp, which helped quite a bit and they have gotten faster since then. I still wish they would go back to the 5 liter though. Much easier to work on, and sturdier imho.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

VTEC is Japanese for Hemi.

\

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]
the VTEC head is a hemi meaning hemispherical combustion chamber, which was proven a long time ago to be one of the better designs, so its got that goin' for it..

then theres VTEC which honda started using in there formula one program and then into production in the acura nsx, and later the integra/civic

vtec has one cam profile for making good torque that would normally run out of steam at mid rpm, which it does then the cam switches profiles with greater lift and duration (more overlap) (which would be useless at low RPM's) to keep pulling strong to a lofty redline..technology is good

the new honda engine k20 found in the acura rsx-s has a 3 piece segmented cyl. head, VTEC and cam timing controll, which varies the intake and exh. cam's position in relation to piston TDC.
which is HUGE
 the guys are making like 300/ 320 HP to the tire w/ minor tweaks cams etc.

shure the idiot rice boy culture is pretty much defined by VTEC
but it dosent mean that they own it...VTEC is good

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BZZZZZZ

BZZZ and you still couldn't reliably get a 98 stang in to the 14's unless the moon was aligned with pluto and the winds were blowing at a full gale behind you.  Go ahead ask me how I know.  Well since you asked, its because I had a 98 GT.  Sorry but the first 4.6's were a real POS.  My 94 LX notchback was a much slicker ride in the 1/4.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I think they are trying to say is "DAMN I wish I had a Hemi"!!!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think they are trying to say is "DAMN I wish I had a Hemi"!!!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/jsbelljr83/426.jpg

it's got a hemi
i see where this is going.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BZZZZZZ

BZZZ and you still couldn't reliably get a 98 stang in to the 14's unless the moon was aligned with pluto and the winds were blowing at a full gale behind you.  Go ahead ask me how I know.  Well since you asked, its because I had a 98 GT.  Sorry but the first 4.6's were a real POS.  My 94 LX notchback was a much slicker ride in the 1/4.

The stangs I raced were the first edition of the curvy bodystyle, I believe 93-98's.  If I remember right they used a 4.6V8 that made about 215hp.  I had a 2.2L I-4 that made 195.  I ran it with an exhaust only and removed intake resonator to get it into the 14's.  Most of my runs were 15.0-15.4 at 87-90mph.  The car weighed 2900lbs +200lbs of me.  I don't know how much the mustangs weigh.  They would get a better hole shot because my car wheelhopped like crazy off the line, felt like the engine bushings were metal.  I don't know what my 60' times were but the mustangs usually got me off the line and by the time I got to around 60mph I was walking away from them.

The prelude was more fun in the twisties than at the 1/4 mile.  I didn't have the SH model (which transfers power to the non slipping front wheel), but I still would run circles around rwd muscle cars when we hit the twisties by my house.  I also autocrossed it about 10 times, and it would always finish in the top 25 percent against the classes I ran it in.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top