Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 2:33:15 PM EDT
I heard there was the possibility of the next generation of human beings coming about these days. They are supposed to be the next step in human evolution. They look like everyone else, but are superior in such traits as:

intelligence - mind able to process more quickly, and simultaneously several processes, retain more information, learn faster (basically maintain the learning ability of small children well into adulthood)

look and actually BE younger longer - with a lifespan that averages about 40 years longer than current average

higher rate of cellular regeneration - heals faster

What do you think - is this a reality these days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen kids these days. All a bunch of ritalin-taking wussies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
natural selection really ain't happening in the human population...so what's your mechanism for evolution?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
natural selection really ain't happening in the human population...so what's your mechanism for evolution?

Remove all warning labels
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
look and actually BE younger longer - with a lifespan that averages about 40 years longer than current average

Read in... Discovery mag..?  about  an age extending experiment with fruit flys.

The researcher was breeding fruit flies that were in mid-life not early youth, and managed to double the lifespace of the test group vs the control group.

Similar to women who don't have children till their 35 - 40.

edit:

children till their 35s - 40s.

or

children till they're 35 - 40.

pick
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I heard there was the possibility of the next generation of human beings coming about these days. They are supposed to be the next step in human evolution. They look like everyone else, but are superior in such traits as:

intelligence - mind able to process more quickly, and simultaneously several processes, retain more information, learn faster (basically maintain the learning ability of small children well into adulthood)

sounds like me
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read in... Discovery mag..?  about  an age extending experiment with fruit flys.

The researcher was breeding fruit flies that were in mid-life not early youth, and managed to double the lifespace of the test group vs the control group.

Similar to women who don't have children till their 35 - 40.

that is a theoretically simple way to extend life spans.

most people die from ailments that strike them after "breeding age"

These ailments can never be selected against - you pass you genetic material before the ailment strikes you.

However, if you postpone reproduction until after these infirmities have killed off some individuals....

see where this goes?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I actally believe it.   In my opinion, 80-90 percent of the population are just morons.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Uhhhhh......

Put down the tinfoil and the science fiction books.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Have you taken a GOOD look around you lately?

Yeah, we live longer because Darwin has been totally short circuited.  State subsidized modern medicine has people thinking that "life" (number of years on the planet) is the same as LIVING.

People are "educated" but lack any logic or deductive reasoning capabilities.  Present something outside their DIRECT experience or training and you might as well be asking a Cave Man to write a program in Assembly.

Society permits the functionally illiterate to get along nearly as well as someone that has brains.

In short we're becoming a society filled with fat, aging, stupid cows that are kept alive only by medical technology and the Nanny State so they can collect taxes off us.

Evolution and growth of a species will NEVER occur under those circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhh......

Put down the tinfoil and the science fiction books.

+1

To make that argument, you'd have to explain HOW it is happening.

Things like longevity, intelligence, "healing"?  - all have genetic components to them, although certainly also have a strong environmental component.  (probably about 50/50).

So, you'd have to explain and demonstrate EITHER
(1) How people that have such genetic traits are much more successful at reproducing, i.e. are "outbreeding" people without those traits in such astonishing numbers that you would actually start to see population-wide differences in a few generations.  I'm pretty confident in saying that you will NOT be able to show that at all.  Pure nonsense - simply because ANYONE is able to breed today, and pretty much everyone survives to breeding age.
(2) What the environmental factors are that are suddenly making people smarter, live longer, and heal better.  What is CAUSING this supposed phenomenon?  Better nutrition?  Radioactive spiders?  Alien experiments?  What's the explanation?

Keep in mind that to make the argument that the human is somehow changing - you'd also have to control for things like better pre-and post-natal nutrition, better education, better medicine (antibiotics, antivirals, etc.), - all of which have contributed to people being "smarter", living longer, and healing better.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, we live longer because Darwin has been totally short circuited.  State subsidized modern medicine has people thinking that "life" (number of years on the planet) is the same as LIVING.

People are "educated" but lack any logic or deductive reasoning capabilities.  Present something outside their DIRECT experience or training and you might as well be asking a Cave Man to write a program in Assembly.

Society permits the functionally illiterate to get along nearly as well as someone that has brains.

In short we're becoming a society filled with fat, aging, stupid cows that are kept alive only by medical technology and the Nanny State so they can collect taxes off us.

Or in a word "Devolution"
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or in a word "Devolution"

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Next Gens unite!

We can't let the old generation humans persecute us out of fear and ignorance. We will own this world someday!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Next Gens unite!

We can't let the old generation humans persecute us out of fear and ignorance. We will own this world someday!

I don't suppose all your fancy ultra-evolved DNA is bullet proof, is it?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Next Gens unite!

I don't suppose all your fancy ultra-evolved DNA is bullet proof, is it?

hr

I take it you're not a Next Gen. See, the persecution has started.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
What do I think?  I think we're fucked.

I am embarassed to be a part of my generation. (Gen Y)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top