Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 2:30:56 PM EDT
<------- includes me!  

online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB112441653792117457-IZjf4Nklad4m5ynbXuHca6Hm4,00.html

Bowling (and Living) Alone

August 19, 2005; Page W11

Like tear stains on old love letters, reports from the Census Bureau often cause pangs of nostalgia and regret. The bureau's report released Tuesday, "Examining American Household Composition: 1990 and 2000," does that by pointing to the "growing complexity" of our living arrangements. In particular, it says that at the turn of the century the nuclear family setup of two parents and their children was no longer the most common living arrangement in the U.S. In its place at the No. 1 spot are so-called "single-adult" households.

The relatively good news is that "single adult" does not refer to homes with a single parent raising children. Although the number of such homes rose between 1990 and 2000, the Census Bureau calculates that of the nation's 105,480,101 households, only about 12% now qualify as "households with children but without a partner." By contrast, 52% of households were married couples, the bulk of them living with their children, making the categories of couples with and without children in the home Nos. 2 and 3 among most-common household types.

The strange new truth, according to census figures, is that the single largest chunk of American households now consists of people who live alone. No spouse or partner, no kids or other relatives, no roommate or boarder. Alone.

Who they are, and how or why they became "sole occupants," is not explored in the report. Yet we can be certain that as Americans live longer, the number of older citizens increases as a percentage of the whole; and seniors are more likely to be widows or widowers, for instance, living on their own. Experts reviewing the report have noted that the category of roughly 27 million Americans who live by themselves also includes the usual crop of young people who have not yet settled down.

Yet a list-topping surge to 27 million separate little cocoons is still disconcerting. Among other things, it suggests a demographic bulge of lonely souls. Even if you discount the college graduates who paint the town every night before crashing happily at their first pad, you're left with a huge number of people who have found companionship and lost it or are still looking for someone to share their life with. They may not be miserable or call themselves lonely, although many senior citizens do use those words. But most probably are missing something, and we don't mean the better health and the longevity boost that scientists have associated with marriage and other forms of intimate living.

The urge to find a partner, which generally means someone to live with, is fairly universal and pretty relentless. Why else would all those TV reality shows focus on pairing people up -- in theory anyway?

We've long worried about trends, including single parenthood, that seemed to threaten the well-being of children. But 27 million lonely grown-ups probably isn't great for society either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Considering how men are treated in divorce court, the trend is not surprising.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Considering how men are treated in divorce court, the trend is not surprising.

If it was not for a prenup. I never would have remarried.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I fit that demographic and I'm reasonably happy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
And? tell me something I dont know...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a room mate for several years.

and I am soooooo GLAD he is gone.

Alone works just great for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Your post title is a little inaccurate.  "Most" US households don't consist of single people.  They are the largest demographic household group, but only if you break it up the way the study does.  They break the households into 4 segments:

1.  Single, living alone
2.  Single, living with kids (12%)
3.  Married, with kids
4.  Married, without kids.

The article states that 52% of households are married (that's 3 & 4).  Case 1 is the largest single group of the 4, but it's still not a majority (it's about 26%).  Almost 74% of the population does not live alone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah whatever
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not alone, I have my cat for a roomate. He is much better than a human.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Wimminz are hard to find.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm single (not married at least and never have been) and live alone. It's great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
All alone here...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your post title is a little inaccurate.  "Most" US households don't consist of single people.  They are the largest demographic household group, but only if you break it up the way the study does.  They break the households into 4 segments:

1.  Single, living alone
2.  Single, living with kids (12%)
3.  Married, with kids
4.  Married, without kids.

The article states that 52% of households are married (that's 3 & 4).  Case 1 is the largest single group of the 4, but it's still not a majority (it's about 26%).  Almost 74% of the population does not live alone.

Good call!  Changed title to reflect your (correct) math.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Alone here too.

Bilster
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All alone here...

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]
The solution? Mail-order brides. When bitchy high-maintanance domestic broads won't cut it, go with superior and obedient import models.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Living alone is better. I like the assurance that when I leave and come back home, everything will be just as I left it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm single, never been married . I love it. No one to bitch and moan , i can buy whatever i want and don't have to answer to anyone. Am i lonely? Hell no i have AR15.commers to keep me company. If i don't want to listen to you i can shut the pc off, and i can pick the conversations i want to take part in and pass by the ones i don't. Pussy's great but not worth the headaches that come with them. When i find a good looking lobotonmized vocalcordless woman i will get married.

GlenR
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The solution? Mail-order brides. When bitchy high-maintanance domestic broads won't cut it, go with superior and obedient import models.

I don't want a slave to walk behind me.  I want a woman to walk with me.  Besides, when dem wimminz get behind ya, you can't keep your eye on em!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

do they get better gas mileage..

thats all i care about right now .. my gas mileage  $$$$

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
One is me, I'll be moving soon though
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a room mate, but he's about as quiet/low maintanence as they come.  He even rents all the movies from netflix, and lets me watch them.  I will be living alone after I make the big move next year.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top