Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 12:30:33 PM EDT
Hmm... P210.  Taller pilot not able to see the tip from under the window frame.  Maybe.

Hitting a tree on takeoff and not returning to land.  Incredibly stupid.

Flying with that much parasite drag on one side and not noticing the need for right rudder/aileron.  

Hitting a tree and telling investigators you thought it was "a little bird".  

www.westpress.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=146238&command=displayContent&sourceNode=146064&contentPK=13040192

PLANE FLIES FOR TWO HOURS WITH WING MISSING

09:30 - 19 August 2005

A Dozy pilot flew his plane for two hours before he noticed that five-and-a-half feet of one wing had been torn off by a tree on take-off. The Irish pilot told investigators he thought he had been "struck by a little bird" on takeoff in his five-seater Cessna 210.

But despite two of the three passengers being top flight engineers on their way to fix a Boeing 767, no one noticed that half the left wing, containing one fuel tank, was missing. The unnamed pilot was forced to make an emergency landing at Jersey International Airport two hours later after he finally spotted the fuel gauge plummeting towards empty.

The drama unfolded as the Cessna took off from Brittas House Airstrip, 18 miles east of Shannon in Ireland last Friday.

As the small aircraft - bound for Lisbon in Portugal - left the runway it collided with treetops which ripped off a 5ft 7ins section of the left wing. The fuel tank was later found on the ground - back in Ireland.

Jersey International Airport was alerted and air traffic controllers guided the damaged plane to safety.

A spokesman for the airport said: "We were amazed it had managed to fly as long as it had, it was in a real state when it came in.

"The pilot was the most shocked of us all as he had not realised the extent of the damage while he was flying."
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
This may sound stupid.........but he can be my pilot anytime.

I would like to know if the wing falls off my pilot can handle it.......

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That wing did not "fall off" there is maybe 12-15 inches of the trailing edge missing. Now go find an A-10 with 5-6 feet of the wing missing and repost.....

This thread is ghey!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
A smilar but totally different story...

I was out in the boat last night with my little brother (22, i'm 26)  We have a 19 foot jon.  We wigger rigged a 30 pound dumbell with rope to serve as an anchor while we got in swam around and drank a 12 pack of beer.  When we got out I took off, forgetting the anchor was still down.  I was having a hell of a time getting up on plane and the boat was pulling hard right... Didn't figure it out for 100 yards or so.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
“Maintain thy airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
At least thats fixable.

I hope he filled out a NASA report on that.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Personally, I'd prefer a pilot who notices when major portions of the airplane are missing.
But that's just me.  I'm funny that way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like the wingtip, no biggy!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Shit, that's nothing.  People post here for YEARS with their entire BRAIN missing.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
TWA 707 lost a real good chunk of its wing in a collision with an Eastern Constellation way back in the 1960's,707 landed safely,Connie crashed,killing 2 (one was the captain,other was pax that he tried to save).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, I'd prefer a pilot who notices when major portions of the airplane are missing.

Hence the sounds stupid part of my post.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence the sounds stupid part of my post.....

Yeah, but I didn't think you meant that stupid?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
when i was in the service some 30 years ago, one of our planes (4 engine prop) was flying low and slow out over the far east pacific. clipped a water spout that kind of appeared out of no where; took off the tip tank and about 4 feet of the right wing.  wires "arcing" on the wing stub and the outboard wing fuel cell leaking fuel.   it was a interesting 300 mile ride to where we were flying out of.   plane flew just fine.   mcole
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A smilar but totally different story...

I was out in the boat last night with my little brother (22, i'm 26)  We have a 19 foot jon.  We wigger rigged a 30 pound dumbell with rope to serve as an anchor while we got in swam around and drank a 12 pack of beer.  When we got out I took off, forgetting the anchor was still down.  I was having a hell of a time getting up on plane and the boat was pulling hard right... Didn't figure it out for 100 yards or so.

There was a couple of guys that did that around here a few years ago. They died of hypothermia/drowning when their boat filled with water and they could not swim with heavy clothing on.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[
Yeah, but I didn't think you meant that stupid?  

Don't underestimate me

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#15]
What about that F15 the Israelis had back in the day?  It had one win completely blown off right where it met the body of the plane, and was able to land safely.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
That's not flying with a missing wing...

This is a missing wing. (IAF F-15 after colliding with A-4)

www.f-16.net/PhotoGallery/album43/acp.jpg

www.f-16.net/PhotoGallery/album43/aco.jpg

Apparently McDonnel Douglas didn't believe it was possible until they received the photographs.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread reminds me of the one where someone got hit with a peice of debris off a pepper popper, then they come running here saying:

"I got shot today at the range..."

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shit, that's nothing.  People post here for YEARS with their entire BRAIN missing.

Hey!

I resemble that remark!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top