Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 11:06:33 AM EDT
I have a copy of black ice firewall type software.  Should I install it? Anybody here use it? Good/bad?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Black Ice at work and Zone Alarm at home.
If its a standard free consumer version then i would download the free zone alarm version.
Much more user friendly and they seem to stealth your ports a little better than the standard black ice.
Go to a good port scanning site(www.grc.com) after you install it and run a scan to see what shows up.
Every port should be stealth ,if not then download the zone alarm freebee and try the test again.
If its a full blown version of Black Ice for business then you cant go wrong with it.

Tim
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The company that I work for provides this software for its employees.  I don't know what version it is. It wont install on my computer anyway, probably because I'm still running Windows 98.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Black ice is supposed to be better for dial up connections..... high speed gets zone alarm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Zone Alarm's better IMO. But either is better than nothing at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need it if you have a hardware firewall (cable modem or DSL router) or WinXP (built-in firewall).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Black Ice is MUCH better protection than no firewall.

I've used both it and ZoneAlarm.  Both have strengths and weaknesses.  Neither is a perfect substitute for a hardware firewall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top