Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:56:43 AM EDT
Hers the deal. My brother moved in with a girl a while back and they moved to Missouri. Just a bit of background he is a convicted fellon, in and out since he was 14. Well he hasn't figured out how to live like a normal person thus far. His girlfriend and he broke up and she called the police and said he hit her. She moved out, he left the state, for fear of being arrested again. Since hes been out this is the first real trouble he has been in. After a lot of begging from my Mom I agreed to go get my brothers stuff, so he dosen't loose everything he has in the world. The problem however is that the exgirlfriends new boyfriend has made threats of shooting my brother. After a few conversations with local LEOs, in the town where my brothers old house is, I find out that the new boyfriend has a record of threatening and attacking people and carrieing guns illegally.

So here is the problem. I am plaing on going tommorow with 2 friends to get the stuff in a Uhaul and my truck, meet my brother give him the Uhaul and be done with it. I'll be carrieing my 1911 legally (I have a FL permit wich MO honors). But I keep thinking I should throw my AR in the tool box on my truck, unloaded so it's legal, just in case. However I am worried if this guy shows up and I had to use it that it might look really bad. The local LEOs said that if I have any trouble getting my brothers possesion (i.e. new boyfriend shows up) to call them and they would come right over. Understandably they can't have someone posted there the whole time we are packing the truck.

I realize the smartest thing to do would be to avoid any possible confrontation. If you have family then you understand why I'd stick my neck out for my brother, checkerd past and all. So my biggest question would be should I take the AR or not? Legally I know I can, provided it is unloaded while I'm transporting it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
concealed is concealed.. carry it, do not let him know you have it!  be kind and curteous and do what you are there to do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd call the local LEO's when you arrive just to give them a heads up. Let them now you plan on being in the area from x time to x time. They will probably have unit stay in the area just in case.

As to taking your AR your choice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No.(on the AR) If you had to use it it would look really bad.  Thay will say that you came there with the gun looking for trouble.  Your 1911 will be fine.  Use the phone first and call police and let them use the guns if they have to.  Good luck and be safe.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Will your friends be carrying? If so, that'll help put your mind at ease, wouldn't it?

And no on the AR. You wanna look like you're not out after him and only carrying for self-defense against a hostile dipshit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
What exactly does your brother have that is worth risking your life for?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hers the deal. My brother moved in with a girl a while back and they moved to Missouri. Just a bit of background he is a convicted fellon, in and out since he was 14. Well he hasn't figured out how to live like a normal person thus far. His girlfriend and he broke up and she called the police and said he hit her. She moved out, he left the state, for fear of being arrested again. Since hes been out this is the first real trouble he has been in. After a lot of begging from my Mom I agreed to go get my brothers stuff, so he dosen't loose everything he has in the world. The problem however is that the exgirlfriends new boyfriend has made threats of shooting my brother. After a few conversations with local LEOs, in the town where my brothers old house is, I find out that the new boyfriend has a record of threatening and attacking people and carrieing guns illegally.

So here is the problem. I am plaing on going tommorow with 2 friends to get the stuff in a Uhaul and my truck, meet my brother give him the Uhaul and be done with it. I'll be carrieing my 1911 legally (I have a FL permit wich MO honors). But I keep thinking I should throw my AR in the tool box on my truck, unloaded so it's legal, just in case. However I am worried if this guy shows up and I had to use it that it might look really bad. The local LEOs said that if I have any trouble getting my brothers possesion (i.e. new boyfriend shows up) to call them and they would come right over. Understandably they can't have someone posted there the whole time we are packing the truck.

I realize the smartest thing to do would be to avoid any possible confrontation. If you have family then you understand why I'd stick my neck out for my brother, checkerd past and all. So my biggest question would be should I take the AR or not? Legally I know I can, provided it is unloaded while I'm transporting it.

If they offered police protection, and you instead bring an AR and get into a gunfight with it, I predict you will spend a LOT of time in prison.

Why not call the police when you head over there, and say that you THINK you saw the boyfriend there, and you're worried for your safety?   That way, if the boyfriend sees the police arrive WITH you, he'll probably be less likely to start any crap (even after they leave).

Plus, if you are heading into a situation where you think you might NEED more than a 1911, I'd seriously consider not going in the first place (especially if you are EXPECTING a confrontation).  just my opinion.

As an aside.  How POSSIBLE do you think it is that your brother, who you say has been "in and out since he was 14" maybe WAS beating on her, and the new boyfriend is maybe legitimately trying to protect her from him?  You might consider this, as you head over there, packing your 1911 and maybe "prepared" for a confrontation with this guy.     Not trying to be overly pessismistc, but this sounds like a situation that can go spectacularly wrong if not managed carefully.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No.(on the AR) If you had to use it it would look really bad.  Thay will say that you came there with the gun looking for trouble.  Your 1911 will be fine.  Use the phone first and call police and let them use the guns if they have to.  Good luck and be safe.

That's my take on the situation as well.  If this guy comes running out waving a weapon, you won't have time to grab the AR and load it anyway.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I would leave the AR  at home and take a few extra mags for the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like the ex-girlfriend isn't  very trustworthy. She pulls that beating crap when they break up and has a boyfriend move in to her ex's house immediately after. I'm definately siding with his brother. It sounds like his brother has tried to straighten out his life but ended up with some trailer trash girlfriend.

You should avoid confrontation because of the legal problems it would cause. If you think the boyfriend is present you should ask for a police officer to provide some protection(it's supposed to be their job).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Guess I'll leave the AR at home. To answer a few questions:
No my buddies aren't going to be armen niether has a permit and neither is sufficiently trained that I wouldn't be more worried about them shooting me, the the other guy.
I am not expecting a confrontation, neither the exgirlfriend or her new bo live at the property, but I'd don't know if they'll decide to show up. They do know that someone will be there to get his stuff.
I do plan on letting the LEOs know when I'll be there and remind them of the whole mess.
As far as wether he hit her or not, I don't know for shure if he did or not. I'd like to believe he didn't but prison does funny things to people and he spent a long time there.
Weather or not shes the equivalent of trash, well honestly they both are, maybee even he more so.
As to why I'd go down there and deal with the whole problem, well I've meade my share of mistakes in life and I'd like to think had I ever got into this mess my brothers would be there for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't take anything that you would mind losing.  If something happens you probably wont see that firearm for a long time if ever.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#12]
If something did happen you would be using the 1911 in defense. Most likely you would use the handgun to get out of the situation. But if you went to the tool box for the AR this looks more like an offenseive action. Besides looking bad, I think it could get you in quite a bit of trouble too.

Be cautious and be smart. That will usually keep you out of trouble.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
No reason for an ar. A gun fight like that wouldnt last that long.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#14]
A can of mace might not hurt...  If the boyfriend starts getting physically aggressive and threatening, it might be a wise choice to use the mace/OC first.  

Now if he's got a weapon that's another story..

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Take a cell phone with the local Po-Po business number on speed dial.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are "attacked" by the new boyfriend, an unloaded, locked in the truckbox AR would probably not be much use regardless of your "right" to have it there and could add fuel to the argument that you came "looking for trouble". If you can legally carry and so desire then do so. Good idea on contacting the local police to advise them and +1 on the call when you get there to remind them you are a good guy. Do your friends know the whole situation? If not, they probably should. Finally, don't be too bound by pride to retreat if things start to go bad, your Brother's stuff isn't worth your life.

Also, not to imply anything but make sure you are not moving/transporting anything illegal amongst your Brother's possessions. I had a friend who helped a guy move. Uknowingly, he moved a complete household including enough pot to cater a Dave Mathews concert. He still shudders when he thinks about what would have happened had he been pulled over by the police, he with out of state tags that didn't match his ID and tried to explain that he had no idea how all that marajuana got into his pickup truck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Your 1911 should be sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I realize the smartest thing to do would be to avoid any possible confrontation.

Given the background info you've posted, I'd say you have your head screwed-on straight.  And if you know the smartest thing to do...which you indeed apparently do...why are you asking for advice?

I don't understand the "family thing" in this case.  Your brother chose "his way" and you chose yours.  He is still making bad decisions apparently...and you are going to help him to avoid the consequences of his poor choices?  I wish you well if you attempt this stunt, but dayum...this could end badly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
this assumes his stuff is still there for you to pick up
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]
and people say civilians have no use for body armor.  Sounds like a situation for body armor to me, just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top