Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:21:16 AM EDT
I was in the woods with one of my co-workers yesterday looking at a patch of timber when I walked up on a 6' long black snake.  When I picked it up the guy fainted.  WHen he regained awarness he had cold chills all over his body and said he needed to leave the woods because he was so scared.  Now I could understand being frightened if it was a black mamba that I picked up but damn, just a black rat snake.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
alot of people have nver seen\handeld them.

when i was 6 i thought my brother was a godly snake charmer at 9.
i didn't know till later that a black rat snake was harmless.

chicks are going to dig you once this co worker tells the lady co workers
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
aint skeeerd .........

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Real serious phobias are rarely rational nor reasonable.  

I don't understand why people are terrified of sharks, but I know people who do not like to swim in the ocean in Scandinavia (!!!) because they are afraid a shark might eat them!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I was playing on a wood pile when I was a kid and ran across a king snake.  Scared the living piss out of me and I've never felt right about snakes since.  Tell your friend to get a shotgun, that's what I did.

"Snakes, why does it always have to be snakes?"
                 -Indiana Jones
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Every time I try to pick up Balck Snakes they try to bite me.  How is it you guys get them to be so docile when I have to chase them down?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you trying to pin them in the back of the head?  That usually just pisses them off.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So why are some people scared of a harmless snake?

Genesis 3:14-15 (KJV)

14  And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Real serious phobias are rarely rational nor reasonable.  

My little sister has a phobia of snakes. If you say the word "snake" the mental image pops into her head and she freaks out.

This is entirely my fault, from when we were both little. Of course I find it an endless source of amusement.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So why are some people scared of a harmless snake?

Genesis 3:14-15 (KJV)

14  And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

No matter what you believe, a non-venemous snake will cause zero harm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just to be technical, I think a 20-foot boa constrictor (or some other variety of south american constrictor) could potentially cause a bit of harm - especially to a child or small person!  

(I know, we're talking about US snakes - but I'm that anal! )
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to be technical, I think a 20-foot boa constrictor (or some other variety of south american constrictor) could potentially cause a bit of harm - especially to a child or small person!  

Ok I stand corrected, also northern watersnakes also carry nasty bacteria in their mouths and a bite will cause a nasty infection.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
<--not afraid so much as I am a believer in the following creedo:

If it's on my property and it does not earn its keep, either by protecting it (my dog), bringing home the bacon (My Hubby) or qualify as a tax deduction (my children) then it must die.

Snakes...ye have been warned!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

100% correct - but I will kill it on sight anyway, because it makes my wife happy and when she's happy... well, you know the rest.

(FTR, I don't have a problem with the non-venemous variety, handled them quite a bit as a kid, and would like to leave them alone around the farm for their beneficial effects - BUT -  we do have quite a few venemous ones in this area [I've killed a couple of copperheads right around the house & no telling how many around my fishing pond]; my wife has a wild, irrational fear of all of them and zero interest in learning the difference; and her fear has only increased now that we have a little one running around.  IOW if we see it, it must die. )
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Snakes and spiders don't bother me.  I caught lots of snakes when  I was a kid.  The woods in FL are full of them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
aint skeeerd .........

img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/skid2964/Gun_Stuff/snake_CK.jpg

Why would you shoot a snake?  Shooting varmints I can understand, but a SNAKE?  They cause no harm and do a lot of good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
snakes are the devil...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I loves snakes, im so comfortable with them that one time I fell asleep with my ball python crawling all over me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or if he bites you dick/balls off! I'd call that harm
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
aint skeeerd .........

img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/skid2964/Gun_Stuff/snake_CK.jpg

Why would you shoot a snake?  Shooting varmints I can understand, but a SNAKE?  They cause no harm and do a lot of good.

1. Because it was near the pool and the girls would freak.

2. It was a challenging shot on a reactive target.

3. So I can post pics of the kill with my rifle ....

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#21]

It all stems from how you're raised.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]

It's primal. Just like people don't like dead bodies. They can't hurt you either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]
The guy only fainted?  Hell I would have had a heart attack!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By skid2964]

4. img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/skid2964/Forum_Stuff/killcrazy.gif

Let them freak.  Don't teach them that they should be afraid of harmless snakes.  My younger sisters (11, 13 and 15) aren't afraid of snakes or any other animal.  Heck, my older sister even holds wolf spiders on her hand (carefully so it doesn't bite her).  Even I would never do THAT.

Pick one up and ask your daughters to come and touch it, and to hold it.  Then teach them the difference between dangerous snakes and harmless ones.

It's just like guns.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Liberals do the same with guns. I dont understand.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Every time I try to pick up Balck Snakes they try to bite me.  How is it you guys get them to be so docile when I have to chase them down?

Black Racer? or Black Rat?

Black Racers are the meanest snakes in the world IMHO.

all snakes try to bite but after a minute or two Rat snakes calm down pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By skid2964]

4. img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/skid2964/Forum_Stuff/killcrazy.gif

Let them freak.  Don't teach them that they should be afraid of harmless snakes.  My younger sisters (11, 13 and 15) aren't afraid of snakes or any other animal.  Heck, my older sister even holds wolf spiders on her hand (carefully so it doesn't bite her).  Even I would never do THAT.

Pick one up and ask your daughters to come and touch it, and to hold it.  Then teach them the difference between dangerous snakes and harmless ones.

It's just like guns.

My daughter now owns a pet snake ...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

all snakes try to bite but after a minute or two Rat snakes calm down pretty quick.

Black racers are as mean as they come, similar to the coachwhip out west here which is often called red racer.

I’ve encountered 200 or so snakes in the past 4 years, and only a small fraction wanted to stick around.  Most including rattlers will just flee and avoid contact.  Of the maybe 50 I have handled (no the rattlers) only 10 or so struck at me, and only 2 got me

I have 5 pet snakes that I have had for over 2 years and only 2 of them have ever struck.   The smaller of my two red tail boas connected a few times leaving a couple of puncher holes that bled pretty nicely.

As far as to why people are so scared of harmless snakes, its lack of knowledge.  If people knew which snakes to fear and which not to, then they would be better off.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(I know, we're talking about US snakes - but I'm that anal!
)

That just sounds dirty to me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Now This is a Snake!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/RugerNiner/RattleSnake.jpg

had to fix the picture.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
<--not afraid so much as I am a believer in the following creedo:

If it's on my property and it does not earn its keep, either by protecting it (my dog), bringing home the bacon (My Hubby) or qualify as a tax deduction (my children) then it must die.

Snakes...ye have been warned!!!!!

The snakes on my property keep the mice away.  That's good enough for me.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You're right! We have a black racer that won't leave our yard. Wife freaked out because she saw it coming out of our front yard goldfish pond and thought it was a water mocassion (we do have water mocassions ocassionally).

Anyhow, this black racer was chasing a leopard frog that jumped into our pond. This black racer could've cared less about me being there. He was in the yard first (before we built the house 4 years ago) and he thinks he still owns the property!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#33]
You should have wrapped it around his neck, and taken pictures when he came to!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Badger Badger

It's a snake, a snake, oooohhhhhhhh.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top