Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:29:32 AM EDT
today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2005-08-18T155246Z_01_EIC857130_RTRIDST_0_ODD-CRIME-LOTTERY-DC.XML

Drug dealer must forfeit lottery winnings
Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:53 AM ET

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Mexican citizen must forfeit about $2.75 million in Texas lottery winnings because of his drug-trafficking conviction, a federal appeals court said on Wednesday.

Jose Luis Betancourt, 52, was arrested after making a cocaine delivery shortly after accepting $5.5 million for having the winning ticket in the December 11, 2002, lottery drawing, according to court documents.

A jury convicted Betancourt, who was living in the border city of Brownsville, Texas, of conspiracy and two counts of possession with intent to distribute cocaine in May 2003 and also found he must forfeit his one-half interest in the lottery ticket.

A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with the trial court judge's ruling that Betancourt bought his share of the ticket with drug proceeds because that was his only apparent source of income.

The court also upheld his punishment of more than 24 years in prison without parole.

"Mr. Betancourt's luck ran out, and appropriately so," said U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg.

We can charge our troops out of state tuition because they have been in Iraq and hand over US citizens private property to illegals, but at least this guy won't be collecting.

I know, its petty and meaningless in the big scheme of things, but I needed at least one story where we weren't getting the shaft.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting drugs vs. illegals.

Someone deals drugs and some amongst us scream "see!  War on Drugs is useless.  Legalize drugs!"

Someone comes in the country illegal, surprising there's no "See! War on Illegals is useless. Legalize illegal aliens!"
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Someone deals drugs and some amongst us scream "see!  War on Drugs is useless.  Legalize drugs!"

Someone comes in the country illegal, surprising there's no "See! War on Illegals is useless. Legalize illegal aliens!"

You obviously haven't been to some of the liberal debating circles I have.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
24 years?  Seems a little light to me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
w00t!

I love stories like this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Should have made him forfeit his lottery winnings over to enforcing our southern border.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Do illegals pay taxes on lottery winnings?  How is it they are allowed to stay here once we know they are illegal?  They should never even be here long enough to actually collect the money.  

There are so many things so wrong with illegals winning lotteries that I don't know where to start.

ETA: Oh, and if you think the Mexican government won't sue on his behalf you're crazy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
my question is- why did he need to sell drugs after winning a couple of million$?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's not surprising if you apply logic to the two situations.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my question is- why did he need to sell drugs after winning a couple of million$?

Of course we can't understand that logic, but that's just the way those roaches are.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Huh? You'll never hear me say "Let's make those roaches legal", but I hear that all the time. Even Jorge Bush is hinting at it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? You'll never hear me say "Let's make those roaches legal", but I hear that all the time. Even Jorge Bush is hinting at it.

Well I never said you specifically.  But I hear over and over and over the rational for ending the WOD is because it's not working.   Take any War On Something.  Apply the same logic and rational, then you'll see how silly the rational for ending the WOD is when that rational is it's simply not working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top