Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:42 AM EDT
and are they always on?

in relation 2 this story, http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050819/ts_nm/jordan_blast_claim_dc

would, could it pick those up and hit them? i can see at least 2 phalanx systems in that pic.

assumeing the rockets were 4" by a few feat long?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
and are they always on?

in relation 2 this story, http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050819/ts_nm/jordan_blast_claim_dc

would, could it pick those up and hit them? i can see at least 2 phalanx systems in that pic.

I'm thinking that, if such information were known by anyone on this board, it is not the kind of information that should be posted on a public website.  just a thought.
Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Would they activate the systems in port? I mean, it would be bad if those bad boys lit off while pointed towards the city .....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Would they activate the systems in port? I mean, it would be bad if those bad boys lit off while pointed towards the city .....

sucks to be the city i guess.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I seen a few R2D2's with chubbies fire with the 2 years I got on the boats. They tested the ones onthe USS Saipan in the 90's when I was on her, it even shot at the pieces that were falling to the water, small ones. Kept going...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think the Phalanx system is operational when because it accidently shot down a cvilian Iranian passenger jet a number of years ago. The Middle East water ways are just way too small for a world-class navy, they just have to play the card they've been dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't think the Phalanx system is operational when because it accidently shot down a cvilian Iranian passenger jet a number of years ago. The Middle East water ways are just way too small for a world-class navy, they just have to play the card they've been dealt with.

That was an Aegis weapon system and a missile (sea sparrow?) that shot down the Iranian Airbus.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Would they activate the systems in port?

No, they wouldn't. R2D2 would get confused too easily with port activities and blast anything that moves toward the ship. But then again, it might be a good idea to dock at an enemy port with the system on for a "clean sweep".
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I doubt they're on when in port. unless it's like a hostile amphbious landing or something
too much of a political shit storm if it was to go off and waste the 4th story of an apartment building or something
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You are confusing AEGIS and Phalanx. R2D2 shoots down incoming anti-ship missiles while Standard Missile  shoots down airliners when Wil Rogers is in command.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys,

Some Middle Eastern countries will not even let the US fly the union jack and colors while the ships are in port...you think there are going to let some weapons be armed.

Isreal is one of those countries as well, or at least they were when I was there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Here's the Chinese Navy version, it's supposed to be based off a Dutch design. Sino Defense Website The NATO codename for the radar unit is Rice Lamp, ha ha ha!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are confusing AEGIS and Phalanx. R2D2 shoots down incoming anti-ship missiles while Standard Missile  shoots down airliners when Wil Rogers is in command.

Doah! You're right old age.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Chinese one looks a lot like the Goalkeeper. There's probably a reason for that...

I'm sure that the radar could pick up a rocket if it was switched on. Don't think it would be though.

Back in the early 80s/late 70s, the British point defense missile Sea Wolf was known to intercept 4.5" shells in flight.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The Mk 15 CIWS Blk 0 was designed to shoot down enemy sea skimming anti-ship cruise missiles...NOTHING else.  It will engage any object such as an enemy arty shell IF that shell is of sufficient radar cross section and IF that object has a trajectory that puts it in the short elevation engage window and IF it has a speed vector with a closest point of approach of zero...right at own ship in other words.

The actual relative size of the targets that the CIWS will engage is classified.

CIWS will NOT engage planes unless they satisfy the engagement criteria for a cruise missile...high speed and right at the ship.  

The six barrelled 20mm cannon fires 3,000rpm.  The magazine holds 1,000 rounds of either DU or tungsten ammo.

CIWS Blk 1B was designed to do all of the above and inluded mods to engage diving targets and small craft and helos.  In order to accomplish this, a manned console with EO/IR trackers and manual gun burst control was added.  

The gun accuracy has been improved to reduce shot dispersal, the firing rate has been bumped up to 4,500rpm and the magazine now holds 1,500 rounds.

Normal peacetime steaming Rules of Engagment (ROE) call for the CIWS and all automatic defensives systems to be either in standby or off so as to preclude uncommanded firing.  In any situation where the threat level is elevated and enemy attack is possible, the weapon system will be placed in a semi-auto state whereby a single button action can bring the weapon to full auto ready state.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.sinodefence.com/navy/weapon/type730_2.jpg

Here's the Chinese Navy version, it's supposed to be based off a Dutch design. Sino Defense Website The NATO codename for the radar unit is Rice Lamp, ha ha ha!

It's called "GoalKeeper".  It fires a 30mm round.  We looked at buying it in the late '80s and opted instead for CIWS Blk 1B.  It was too big and heavy and too hard to reload in combat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I read a thread here a few months ago how the CIWS was being altered for use on land.  A mobile variant to shoot down mortar bombs around camps and bases in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
and are they always on?

I shot a spitball at a carrier in Norfolk one time, and....well......

Anyhow, long story short I was finally an only child again. After a while I didn't miss my little brother at all.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Some Middle Eastern countries will not even let the US fly the union jack

Isn't the British flag called the Union Jack, not the US?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#20]
There is a small flag that can be flown on the bow of the ship while in port, it is a blue sqaure filled with the 50 stars only. No red or white.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't think that was a systems failure ... I think that was a human screw-up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Hitting the ditch in 90 on the America, we fired the seawiz at an incoming egyptian jon-boat.  Dude was waving his arms while the ood was screaming at him to turn around.  r2d2 got his attention - was a funny sight.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and are they always on?

I'm thinking that, if such information were known by anyone on this board, it is not the kind of information that should be posted on a public website.  just a thought.
Matt

!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes
www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=union+jack&btnG=Google+Search
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes
www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=union+jack&btnG=Google+Search

Learn about the US Navy Union Jack Here

4 Floats, I kept a little of it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hitting the ditch in 90 on the America, we fired the seawiz at an incoming egyptian jon-boat.  Dude was waving his arms while the ood was screaming at him to turn around.  r2d2 got his attention - was a funny sight.  

We went through on our way down to Somalia, HAnger doors had to be closed, even the 50's were taken off the sides and the Hanger Elevators were turned verticle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I read a thread here a few months ago how the CIWS was being altered for use on land.  A mobile variant to shoot down mortar bombs around camps and bases in Iraq.

We have a couple here at Camp Anaconda. They look pretty scary, but I haven't seen them shoot down a single thing. The answer I get is nothing has come into range of them, but with almost daily rocket/mortar attacks, I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I seen a few R2D2's with chubbies fire with the 2 years I got on the boats. They tested the ones onthe USS Saipan in the 90's when I was on her, it even shot at the pieces that were falling to the water, small ones. Kept going...

Friend of mine who was on a frigate said they would shoot down to three inches.
Interesting was the plan to get a sub if they had to.
1. Ready the Mk whatever nuke depth charge
2. haul ass away from the subs location while chunking said depth charge at it.
3. Put all defensive systems on automatic because the super structure would be so bent, if the boat didn't sink, they'd be a sitting duck.
(Don't flame me, I'm repeating what I was told)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Product Data sheet

www.raytheon.com/products/stellent/groups/public/documents/content/cms01_055720.pdf

I have read somewhere where they were doing poor man's testing by shooting down 105mm artilary rounds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I raised an eyebrow when I read Union Jack as well, but it does make excellent sense.

Technically, the blue field on the Stars and Stripes is called the Union. If mounted on the jackstaff of a ship, it then becomes a Union Jack.

Similarly, when displayed on the jackstaff of a British ship, the Union Flag becomes their Union Jack.

It's kindof like saying 'The tricolour'. If in Ireleand, it means Green, White Orange. If in France, it means Red, white, Blue. If Italy, Green, White, Red.

All dependant on who's saying it.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We have a couple here at Camp Anaconda. They look pretty scary, but I haven't seen them shoot down a single thing. The answer I get is nothing has come into range of them, but with almost daily rocket/mortar attacks, I find that hard to believe.

Any idea who's providing security these days? We had gotten it down to a level where we had ten days plus of not one single attack, and we no longer had to go everywhere in body armour/helmet.

When we left (in a hurry, I should add), we had handed over to some Air Force security types. This was last January, and the CIWS guns hadn't shown up yet.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea who's providing security these days? We had gotten it down to a level where we had ten days plus of not one single attack, and we no longer had to go everywhere in body armour/helmet.

When we left (in a hurry, I should add), we had handed over to some Air Force security types. This was last January, and the CIWS guns hadn't shown up yet.

NTM

Air Force has security around the airfield, but it's still Army on the wire. As far as Battle Rattle, because of the heat we only wear it if the attacks really pick up, or on key dates where intel believes we are at higher risk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#33]
A small portion of the area under the flight path was Air Force responsibility when we were there. I wasn't impressed, and hope you've got a better bunch now.

I'm assuming that the locals haven't seen tanks driving around their area for.. oh... nine months now. They might be getting 'courageous' again. (Though in fairness, most of the local towns were pretty friendly, the two exceptions were the one just out the N Gate and the one about a mile to the SW, which were at least friendly to our faces)

Do you get to travel outside at all? Have you any idea what is the current condition of CP 69 (Iraqi checkpoint about half-way down Heather to Tampa)?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Guys,

Some Middle Eastern countries will not even let the US fly the union jack and colors while the ships are in port...you think there are going to let some weapons be armed.

Isreal is one of those countries as well, or at least they were when I was there.

Not to hijack, but what year and what port?  I was in Haifa in early 1999 aboard the USS LaSalle.  As part of my CDO duties I had to observe colors every morning and evening - please tell me what we raised and lowered if it wasn't the Stars and Stripes.

Our criteria for activating CIWS was classified.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,

Not to hijack, but what year and what port?  I was in Haifa in early 1999 aboard the USS LaSalle.  As part of my CDO duties I had to observe colors every morning and evening - please tell me what we raised and lowered if it wasn't the Stars and Stripes.

Our criteria for activating CIWS was classified.

I was in Haifa on the Iwo Jima (LPH2, the old one), Saipan, Wasp and Guam (old one) 90-94ish. The LHA's were to big, we ferried in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top