Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 5:39:08 AM EDT
Where did the term "Controller" come from?  I can understand accountant or financial manager, but why controller?  Anyone know how/why this word came into use?  It's kinda like calling the CEO the "Supreme Commander"....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the term originated from the standpoint that the controller is impartial to the incoming and outgoing revenue streams. All the controller does is verify that the expenditures are being made according to policy and procedure, and that the income is distributed properly. The controller is probably the single most powerful post in a corporation with proper checks and balances in its accounting system.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
BENZ is 100% on the money.....

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't it Comptroller?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think the term originated from the standpoint that the controller is impartial to the incoming and outgoing revenue streams. All the controller does is verify that the expenditures are being made according to policy and procedure, and that the income is distributed properly. The controller is probably the single most powerful post in a corporation with proper checks and balances in its accounting system.

When I worked in the corp world (Coca Cola sales manager), our controller would come to me and say something like we need more 2 liter sales before the end of the month to hit the projected bottom line.

So I would not say that all controllers are impartial to the income or expenses, especially if they are charged with providing info that ensures a profitable company and not just doing the beancounting.

My bonus was ONLY tied to sales figures.His bonus and the GM's bonus was tied to the bottom line number. It was beneficial to me if I tried to assist them in making their bonuses

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't it Comptroller?

It is either or both.....with both being pronounced "controller".

Weird but true.

ETA. this was according to my accounting prof, one of the few things I remember from that class
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Isn't it Comptroller?

It is either or both.....with both being pronounced "controller".

Weird but true.

ETA. this was according to my accounting prof, one of the few things I remember from that class

Interesting.  I had always thought the "comptroller" term came into use since data processing was originally used in accounting departments in the dawn of IT.

For some dumb reason, IT departments often still report to the controller/comptroller, as opposed to companies who have a CIO or IT Manager.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Interesting.  I had always thought the "comptroller" term came into use since data processing was originally used in accounting departments in the dawn of IT.

For some dumb reason, IT departments often still report to the controller/comptroller, as opposed to companies who have a CIO or IT Manager.

I only see it in the .gov world.
We were used to controller, so when I moved out of the corporate world into business for myself, I started paying taxes to the State Comptroller.

I looked up the definition.....just out of curiosity and either pronunciation for comptroller is acceptable.

It is still a weird term......either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top