Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 5:26:59 AM EDT
Damn. Who'd have thought standing next to a tiger was a bad idea?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166156,00.html

Teen Killed by Tiger at Kansas Sanctuary

Thursday, August 18, 2005

MOUND VALLEY, Kan. — A Siberian tiger (search) attacked and killed a teenage girl who was posing for photos at a family-run animal sanctuary Thursday in southeast Kansas, authorities said.

The Labette County Sheriff's office identified the victim as Haley R. Hilderbrand, 17, of Altamont. A statement from the office said Hilderbrand was at the Lost Creek Animal Sanctuary (search) posing for photos with the 7-year-old tiger, which was being restrained by its handler, when the animal turned and attacked her.

Officers and handlers killed the animal. Emergency personnel were not able to revive Hilderbrand.

Doug Billingsly and his family opened the 80-acre sanctuary in 1994. According to the sanctuary's Web site, its animals include lions, leopards, tigers and bears. The site says the sanctuary has an affiliated Animal Entertainment Productions (search), which trains animals for stage performances, movies, television shows and magic shows.

Billingsly didn't immediately return a phone call for comment.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a damn shame. I hate it for the girl and her family. My understanding from FNC is that the tiger licked her foot and she squeeled/screamed. This has the effect of stimulating a prey or kill drive in some predatory animals. The "dying rabbit" effect for lack of a better explanation. People a lot of time don't have any idea what makes animals tick and place themselves in dangerous situations without even realizing it-

ETA: Particularly when the critter is prolly 0 generations removed from the wild...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
When will people learn?
Has Disney retarded our youth so much that every tiger is looked upon as "Tigger"?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When will people learn?
Has Disney retarded our youth so much that every tiger is looked upon as "Tigger"?

+1...Disney has convinced many that animals talk and have other human characteristics.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
When will people get a clue?  

My ex-wife knows somebody with lions and tigers and crap near Dallas TX ... I told her I forbid my son to be around them, ever!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
like i always say, a big cat can be very dangerous, but a little pussy never hurt no one

oh yeah and ibtl,   dupe

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=380796
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Dooooooooooope...we've been scooped eddie. Damn you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top