Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2005 3:14:08 AM EDT
I just caught someone rumaging through my garbage can. The person was going through it to find cans to recycle.

Would you have drawn down??? Called the cops???

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
walked up to him and emptied the can on him
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah....point a gun at someone for looking thru your garbage.  That's a great idea.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
your life wasn't threatened, no need to draw down.   Wearing a glock in plain view in a holster while approaching the guy would signal you mean business though.  Ask the bum to leave if he doesnt then call the cops
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah....point a gun at someone for looking thru your garbage.  That's a great idea.

It was dark out officer... I thought it was a raccoon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just caught someone rumaging through my garbage can. The person was going through it to find cans to recycle.

Your not really asking are you?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no. But what would you have done if you were in a similar situation?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live way off the beaten path, so I would have drawn down.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that there has been a court ruling that you have no legal rights to your garbage. Once it is set out for pickup the cops, raccons or bums can go through it legally. So you would probably be opening yourself up for charges buy brandishing a weapon over your garbage.

hug.gifmark
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think that there has been a court ruling that you have no legal rights to your garbage. Once it is set out for pickup the cops, raccons or bums can go through it legally. So you would probably be opening yourself up for charges buy brandishing a weapon over your garbage.

mark

maybe I should have just used my pocket knife to cut off the top of his jeep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Do the Ren and Stimpy thing...

"Get out of my trash!  I'm telling you for the last time!  
...A man works hard for his filth, just to have vagrants steal it.  It's a cryin' shame."

- George Liquor in "The Boy Who Cried Rat!"
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I caught a homeless guy doing that when I was in college.
We bought a seperate garbage can and put all the beer cans in there.
There were five of us in that house and a LOT of beer cans.
The bum made a killing and was sad when the school year was over.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Your pissed a guy was going through your trash to find cans to recycle? Whats soo bad about that? And why arent you recycling them anyways?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]
The FBI was looking at your trash, no biggie.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell no I wouldnt draw on him.   Just tell him to get lost or your german sheperd will be turned loose.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#15]
He's a bum, nobody will miss him. But, dont bother killing him, he's already dead inside.

There, i said it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The FBI was looking at your trash, no biggie.

Nah... I have a specially marked can just for them I leave out on tues....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#17]
JEEZ!  You guys are HARSH! lol

I collect my cans for the month (Diet-Pepsi and Busch beer) in a big plastic bag and once a month stick it in my trunk (The bag) to give to some old alky I see on my way to work.

I don't give anything to the "young" guys (Anyone I think is younger than I am and SHOULD be trying to get straight) but them "Old" dudes.....Shit, they ain't ever gonna change and the can money (That I KNOW is going straight to their livers) is sort of a wind-fall for them
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have to ask then the answer is always no.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:15:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have asked him to leave my property immediately.

And if he didn't cooperate, then I would have drawn down.

And I would shoot his dog.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think technically if it's in the garbage can on the street, it's no longer yours.  Wasn't there some court cases about this with famous celebrities?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#21]
you've got to be kidding!  "draw down?"  really, WTF does that mean?!  i realize you're genuinely wondering if you should have pulled a weapon on a poor schmuck sorting your garbage (like you should be doing), but really, could you have come up with a more lame phrase?!?  

if this is your real attitude regarding carrying a firearm, sell your weapons and stop embarrassing the rest of us.
Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell ya, good target practive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
you've got to be kidding!  "draw down?"  really, WTF does that mean?!  i realize you're genuinely wondering if you should have pulled a weapon on a poor schmuck sorting your garbage (like you should be doing), but really, could you have come up with a more lame phrase?!?  

if this is your real attitude regarding carrying a firearm, sell your weapons and stop embarrassing the rest of us.
Matt

umm... its not my phrase... I didn't come up with it. It's used on these boards regularly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think technically if it's in the garbage can on the street, it's no longer yours.  Wasn't there some court cases about this with famous celebrities?

I think you are correct. I have seen an episode of Cold Case Files or something like that where the cops went through some garbage to get evidence on a guy, and since the garbage was on the street it wasn't an illegal search.

However, I live a few miles out of town. If I saw someone going through my garbage I would have just told them to get the hell out of it. Too many shitheads looking for a way to steal your freakin' identity these days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
JEEZ!  You guys are HARSH! lol

I collect my cans for the month (Diet-Pepsi and Busch beer) in a big plastic bag and once a month stick it in my trunk (The bag) to give to some old alky I see on my way to work.

No shit.
We do the same thing except we give them some old black man that come by the shop.
We figure it is easier to seperate them and bag them up, than to let some guy dig through our dumpster.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

umm... its not my phrase... I didn't come up with it. It's used on these boards regularly.

and the phrase is lame.  It makes everyone who uses it sound like an armchair commando.  That being said, I can't believe you seriously considered drawing a weapon on someone going through your garbage.  
Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Matt

I believe the thread title was a joke. Lighten up Francis...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Well according to the latest court ruling, even if he is on your property and you draw down and traumatize him he has a legal right to sue you and obtain your property as compensation. Check it out:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=380906
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

and the phrase is lame.  It makes everyone who uses it sound like an armchair commando.  That being said, I can't believe you seriously considered drawing a weapon on someone going through your garbage.  
Matt

Actually... I figured out pretty quit the guy was no threat... and therefore, I never seriously considered pulling my gun. I did seriously consider calling the cops though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

I believe the thread title was a joke. Lighten up Francis...

Thank you sir.

I think my implied sarcasim was lost on him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Matt

Actually... I figured out pretty quit the guy was no threat... and therefore, I never seriously considered pulling my gun. I did seriously consider calling the cops though.

ok, good deal  it just didn't come across that way when I first read your post.  my apologies.
Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#33]
When I was in Michigan (That is $.10 a can territory) I caught somebody doing this.  He didn't appear to be a bum, he had a relativly nice pick-up full of cans.  

I informed him he was tresspassing and I was going to call the police, but if he took all the cans out of the back of the truck and left them with me so I could look for mine and did not return, I would probably forget to call this time.  

I got about $180 worth of cans from him and never saw him again.

I also had bums come and ask me if they could look for cans (this would be a waste, I kept all my cans inside).  If they asked, I gave them everything I had.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Matt

... none of the newbs get it ....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Matt

ok, good deal  it just didn't come across that way when I first read your post.  my apologies.
Matt

accepted...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A little over-zealous don't you think?  It's garbage.  Let him at it.

Oh, and as a rule, I don't ever throw anything away that has my name and address on it.  I don't put it in with regular garbage I mean.  I shred it and dispose of it later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Matt

then you care to 'splain it to us?  
Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Matt

I dont know if you can reach this link not being a team member ....

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=311350

Title: "JUST HAD TO DRAW DOWN ON A LOWLIFE"

This is the opening post:

Originally posted by:Saddleup77
About an hour ago, I pull into one of those self service car washes. Put the Glock 30 into my front waste band and start to walk the 30 feet to the change machine. I scan the area again, and this AA is walking right towards me with that look in his eyes. He has a coat on and his hands are in his pockets. At about 20 feet apart, I stop, put my hand under my shirt and grip the Glock, but not showing it to the BG. I yell, "Back off. Don't come any closer." He screeches to a halt and starts to babble something in ebonics that I don't comprehend. Something about giving him some money. I yell again, "BACK OFF NOW." He does a u-turn, walks about 15 feet, turns around and starts to come back towards me. I pull out the .45, point it straight at the container holding his 60 IQ brain, and again shout, "BACK OFF OR I WILL SHOOT YOU." He finally gets the message and high tails it outta there. I just knew he was gonna try to jack me. I knew he had a weapon of some kind, but he never got the chance to use it, nor did I give him a chance to get close enough to show me. I've got a novel idea for all those POS out there trying to rob and plunder. Get a job and provide for yourself. You'll live longer.

It went 18 pages before the lock and has been a running joke ever since .....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

One man's trash is another man's treasure..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
When I was in Michigan (That is $.10 a can territory) I caught somebody doing this.  He didn't appear to be a bum, he had a relativly nice pick-up full of cans.  

I informed him he was tresspassing and I was going to call the police, but if he took all the cans out of the back of the truck and left them with me so I could look for mine and did not return, I would probably forget to call this time.  

I got about $180 worth of cans from him and never saw him again.

Dan

so you robbed the guy  for digging through your trash
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Matt

It's just a standing joke on the forum. Sorta like whether dogs survive LEO encounters, jeep tops half off, SIIHPAPP, etc. Guess you had to be there...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#42]
YES..........wait, what were we talking about???
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Actually, I found an Opossum rummaging through my trash one day and drew down on him and shot him!    the neighbors just shook their heads and went back to washing their cars and mowing their lawns ....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

so you robbed the guy  for digging through your trash [

If he would have returned in a timely fashion (probably withinb about a week before I went to the store) I would have let him have back all the ones I was sure where not mine.  He never returned.  I just didn't have time to sit there at that moment and dig through his truck and look for mine.  In retrospect, in may have been in appropriate, but living in Flint, Michigan takes it toll. You can only take so long of coming home and finding all of trash dumped out in your yard, just so someone could take some $.10 can.  I guess most of them just needed money for gas to put in your car that they stole.  Luckily the Flint Police would eventually find what was left of your car abandonded somewhere and drop you a post card in the mail telling you where so you could go pick it up if you wanted to brave going into that neighborhood (and yes, this was a reuglar occurence).

By the way, after looking at what the Flint Police had to work with and what they where expected to deal with, I never vote against more police funding.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Matt

I dont know if you can reach this link not being a team member ....

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=311350

Title: "JUST HAD TO DRAW DOWN ON A LOWLIFE"

This is the opening post:

Originally posted by:Saddleup77
About an hour ago, I pull into one of those self service car washes. Put the Glock 30 into my front waste band and start to walk the 30 feet to the change machine. I scan the area again, and this AA is walking right towards me with that look in his eyes. He has a coat on and his hands are in his pockets. At about 20 feet apart, I stop, put my hand under my shirt and grip the Glock, but not showing it to the BG. I yell, "Back off. Don't come any closer." He screeches to a halt and starts to babble something in ebonics that I don't comprehend. Something about giving him some money. I yell again, "BACK OFF NOW." He does a u-turn, walks about 15 feet, turns around and starts to come back towards me. I pull out the .45, point it straight at the container holding his 60 IQ brain, and again shout, "BACK OFF OR I WILL SHOOT YOU." He finally gets the message and high tails it outta there. I just knew he was gonna try to jack me. I knew he had a weapon of some kind, but he never got the chance to use it, nor did I give him a chance to get close enough to show me. I've got a novel idea for all those POS out there trying to rob and plunder. Get a job and provide for yourself. You'll live longer.

It went 18 pages before the lock and has been a running joke ever since .....

haha!  ok, i get it now - i read that thread, or a variation of it a while back.
Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Actually, I found an Opossum rummaging through my trash one day and drew down on him and shot him!    the neighbors just shook their heads and went back to washing their cars and mowing their lawns ....

Well what  were they gonna say? YOU were holding the weapon LOL
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#49]
haha! ok, i get it now - i read that thread, or a variation of it a while back.
Matt

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Now could you 'splain it to these guys?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shame on you, they're actually not bad with a lot of BBQ sause.

[mental note] hmmm... have to try that [/mental note]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top