Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 2:45:06 PM EDT
Dont laugh, but my dad was an expert. He would always get good ones.  When I go to the market its a crap shoot. He did a lot of knocking and slapping then would settle on one.  Something about fluid waves or something.  Well he passed away and didnt reveal his secret.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert but here it goes...

First get a dog (your's or neighbors) and slap it's belly.  That hollow plunk sound is what you're listening for.  Now start slapping harder plunk plunk plunk, and harder PLUNK PLUNK PLUNK, dogs don't like that [:D]

Now find a mellon that has a yellow spot from sitting on the gound (this is required).  Hold mellon in one hand and slap, and you should hear that hollow plunk sound.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
A light "thump" with a finger can tell you if the watermelon is ripe.  Listen to the tone difference between two or more melons.  The riper melon will have a lower pitched sound.

Cantalopes you have to smell to decide.

Just an old farm boy gone bad.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn 56K modem, got knocked off twice trying to answer your question!

The simplest answer is - Buy your watermelon from farmers on the side of the highway! or in the Farmer's Market in town.  Farmers can't afford to bring in melons that are less than correctly ripened.

Cut out the TomThumb/Kroger/Albertsons middleman
and help out the really needy guy!

If you can't buy direct then:

Chaingun is correct about the sound and color of a ripe watermelon, as is ARock on the sound of a ripe melon and smell of a ripe cantaloupe.

Most varieties of melon will get lighter shade of green as they ripen and they will invaribly have the yellow spot where they were on the ground.

But think about the farmer outstanding in his field!

Eric The([u]Former[/u]FutureFarmerOfAmerica]Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was little, I used to go to the market with my dad.  I would first slap his beer-gut and then slap the watermelons.  When the sounds matched, that would be the one!  It's never failed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys can afford watermellon. Wow, someday....
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A light "thump" with a finger can tell you if the watermelon is ripe.  Listen to the tone difference between two or more melons.  The riper melon will have a lower pitched sound.

Cantalopes you have to smell to decide.

Just an old farm boy gone bad.

Arock out.
View Quote

These methods also work for selecting women, BTW..
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I was little, I used to go to the market with my dad.  I would first slap his beer-gut and then slap the watermelons.  When the sounds matched, that would be the one!  It's never failed.
View Quote

Now, do you compare the watermelon to the sound of your hand hitting your forehead? [;D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Shouldn't the topic be, "How to CHOOSE a good watermelon?"
If you're picking a watermelon, wait until the 2 tendrils closest to the melon turn brown.
And if you really want to cut out the middle-man, plant your own.  You probably won't be able to eat them all but won't have the guilt of throwing 10 cents a pound away when you take them to the range.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my melons in a C cup
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top