Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 11:34:01 PM EDT
When did the legal definition of "Life in Prison" get defined as 20 years in prison which really means four years in prison and out on good behavior if that?

I was listening to the news today and they said the BTK murderer got 10 consecutive "life in prison" sentences for a maximum of 175 years in prison which means that the scumbag will be elligble for parole in 40 years if he actually survives to the age of 100.

Exactly how does murdering some one and getting a life sentence allow the murderer to be parolled in 4 years?

What kind of fucked up moronic system allows this?

IMHO Life in Prison should mean just that.  Lock the fucking door and throw away the key.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When did the legal definition of "Life in Prison" get defined as 20 years in prison which really means four years in prison and out on good behavior if that?

I was listening to the news today and they said the BTK murderer got 10 consecutive "life in prison" sentences for a maximum of 175 years in prison which means that the scumbag will be elligble for parole in 40 years if he actually survives to the age of 100.

Exactly how does murdering some one and getting a life sentence allow the murderer to be parolled in 4 years?

IMHO Life in Prison should mean just that.  Lock the fucking door and throw away the key.

No, he's not eligiable for parole for 175 years.  At least that's what I read.

BTK Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison
Thursday, August 18, 2005

WICHITA, Kan. — BTK serial killer Dennis Rader (search) was sentenced Thursday to life in prison, with no chance of ever going free.

Rader, 60, who terrorized the Wichita area and taunted police during a 17-year murder spree from 1974 to 1991, received 10 consecutive life sentences — one for each of his victims — for a minimum of 175 years behind bars without the possibility of parole
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the family members said that his mother should have aborted him...on national TV he said this.

Lock the door, weld it shut and fill it with cement...that should be life in prison, or paralyze them from the neck down and leave them on the floor for the rats and roaches.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It's nothing a shiv to the base of the brain can't fix.

Thank goodness for metal shop.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is life in prison, there is life in prison without parole if the crime is terrible.  Each crime has it's penalty guidelines.  So if you commited 300 crimes that individually could not justify life without parole, the best they can do is sentance you to life 300 times.

Don't worry he will not live past 100, and parole is optional not mandatory.

Federal crimes do all the time.  So Federal life means life.

Someone was saying that he had a thing for young hispanic girls...there is speculation that a mexican gang will off him in the big house...who knows.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I watched this live on TV today. The victims families were very touching, and for the most  part really let him 'have it'.

When he spoke it was as though he were accepting an award the way he was thanking everybody, his lawyers, the police, people in his life, there was absolutely NO remorse as he spoke.

I got the impression that to look into his eyes would be like looking in the eyes of pure evil.

People are ofeten scared of things that go bump in the night and look for ghosts, and goblins and other things that Hollywood has put out there to scare us.

HE (Dennis Rader) and those like him are who we should really concern ourselves with. I think everyone, man, woman, and child, should make themselves aware of dangers that evil beasts like those pose, anyone who thinks that evil doesn't exist, is fooling themselves.

I was convinced yet again after seeing that court session........
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Abotu the same time we decided that convicted felons have more rights that the average citizen.

It's fricken rediculous.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I say that inmates should not recieve food, until all homeless and hungry are taken care of first. Its sad that we let innocent people go unfed while we pamper criminals like this bastard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
In the case of BTK killer,  I think he plea bargained before arrest. He agreed to tell all, plea gulity , and in turn no death penalty.  Also I think that in his state there was no death penalty at time of any of his confessed killings. This BTK guy is real scum and I can't imagine that the general prison population will allow him any slack. He may very well get wacked if some lifer has a shot at him in prison.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:<snip>

I believe the term consecutive -when applied to prison sentences- means one life sentence will begin AFTER the first one is completed. However, if for some reason you do 10 years on the first life sentence, then your next life sentence begins afterwards. Consecutive is usually used where they don't want the fucker to get out.

Concurrent sentences are easier to do because they run along side each other, at the same time.

5 concurrent 10 year sentences means you do only only 5 years and you are out.

5 consecutive 10 year sentences means you do 50 years..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Well the question of parole has been answered and at least he will never see the outside of a prison again. But things are so fucked up when a guy like this isn't going to be exexcuted. How can anybody argue for no death penalty when there are people like this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope as bad as the inmates are, they look at him like another Dahmer and terminate him brutally.
He messed with young kids physically and psychologically before killing them,  I'd kill that sick f*ck myself with a spoon if I had the chance.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:51:29 AM EDT
[#14]

there is speculation that a mexican gang will off him in the big house

You speculated that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Y'all don't really think he's got long to live once he enters general population, do you? There is justice behind cell walls...sometimes there's more THERE than HERE.
The man is deeply disturbed and unremorseful.

Pure evil indeed
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:04:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Sexual preditors & killers are not treated kindly in prison.  It may take a little time but he will die brutally.

Heard this morning on NPR that despite the 175yrs blah blah, he will be eligible for parole in 40yrs.

You Jayhawks better see to it that some panzy assed lib doesn't become governor of KS & pardon this guy in the future.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
To answer the question, it's a state law question. Some states allow for parole, and those that do fix by some formula the amount of time that must be served before somebody doing a life sentence is eligible for parole. In Florida, there is no parole. The maximum that can come off any sentence for good behavior, barring a pardon or time off for something outstanding like saving a CO's life, is 15%. Some sentences include minimum mandatories, which means that no good & gain time (that's where the 15% comes from) accrues until the minimum is served. A life sentence no otherwise described is life - the offender will die in prison, period. Some life sentences specifiy that there shall be no release before the BG has served 25 years. This does not make the guy eligible for parole. It means that if the Legislature goes nuts and reinstitutes parole, the guy will still have to do the 25 before eligibility. The fly in the ointment in determinate sentencing (no parole, no early release) is that we can't know what a future legislature might do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's as screwed up as the philosophy that says they can't sentence him to death because Kansas didn't have the death penalty at the time he committed the homicides.  Well, hell, they've got one now....fry the bastard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#19]
In Canada they have 'life' and 'life with no parole'. Life is 25 years, 15 minimum w/o parole.

Of course, they have this stupid 'faint hope clause' which means you can apply for parole after 15 years. Automatic 1/3 off for good time, 2/3s off for really good time

There may have been some changes to that with Karla Homolka, she did every minute of her twelve years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sexual preditors & killers are not treated kindly in prison.  

You sure about that?

Down here, killers seem to be close to the top of prison society. The only ones higher are cop killers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Rader will not get out of prison alive, I can't imagine that he will ever be paroled... and who knows what other inmates might do him if they have a chance.  

I wonder if it is cheaper to keep someone in prison for life rather than seek a death penalty, go through years of appeals, etc. before possiby getting the go for execution.   Life in prison may actually make more sense from an economic standpoint.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sexual preditors & killers are not treated kindly in prison.  It may take a little time but he will die brutally.

Heard this morning on NPR that despite the 175yrs blah blah, he will be eligible for parole in 40yrs.

You Jayhawks better see to it that some panzy assed lib doesn't become governor of KS & pardon this guy in the future.  

No, he is not eligable for parole for 175 years, you heard wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top