Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 10:00:20 PM EDT
After work on Tuesday, I couldn’t wait to take the new Old Bold Cold Warrior, my CZ-52, out to the range to perform an evaluation shoot of this fine old handgun. I have promised a few readers that I’d give them the low-down on this pistol’s shooting performance. I jammed the seventy-round box of Russkie 7.62 x 25 ball ammo into my range bag, grabbed the CZ and a Kel-Tec .32 that’s a pocket-sized playtoy and I stormed off from my house, leaving a confused and angry wife standing in a cloud of dust and swirling bobby pins.

I met my friends Steve and Brendon at the range, and warned them that the first shot I take with this old gun should be done with them standing well away from me [snigger], because God knows how the frightening combo of 50 year-old guns and 50 year-old ammo would mix. I cranked the target out, a B-29 Reduced Silhouette to 25 feet and fired off the first round – BOOM! The muzzle flip is rather wild, and the report… it’s pretty darned severe. I was right; you could roast a chicken off the muzzle flash.

I would not like to be standing on the other side of this handgun.

I discovered as I shot the CZ that I was shooting the handgun to the left of center of the target – this was some sort of weird anticipatory behavior I was applying to the gun, but I quickly learned to avoid moving the gun around while squeezing. The sights are the typical military affair, too skinny and black to be of any use in a gunfight. It took a long time to line them up on a black target in an indoor shooting range.

Somewhere in the fourth magazine (they only hold eight rounds, how quaint!) I got a Failure to Fire. I re-struck the cartridge by drawing the hammer back ( felt no need to go through the “Tap Rack Bang” drill taught by Gunsite, since I wouldn’t expect to get failures like this from ammo made after my parents were married), and got function again on handgun. Old hard Russian military Berdan primed brass made reloading a non-starter, so after determining the brass was a throw-away, I just enjoyed propelling rounds downrange at staggering velocities and scaring the bejeesus out of the kiddies in the Hunter’s Safety Course behind us.

The handgun is damnned accurate, as you can see. The first target was slow-fired offhand @ 25 feet while I was still learning how the gun shot, and the second shows some slow-fire headshots and two magazines + four spare rounds that were shot as quickly as I could reasonably pull the trigger. You will notice that the groups are all well placed. I did not shoot as accurately with my DAO Kel-Tec at a far shorter range (15 feet) later in the evening.

This is easily the most accurate pistol I have ever owned. My Glock 23 is a fine handgun that I have shot exceeding well, but I’m a better shot with the CZ on the first magazine than I am with either of my two other handguns, but then again, since I really started shooting rifles again, my handgun skills have degraded immensely.

I can’t wait to shoot this thing again at Bloggershoot #4 this Saturday!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought I was the Old Bold Cold Warrior.

CW
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

CW

Does your wife call you Cold?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the report.  I have been thinking of getting one of those, now I will for sure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

Does your wife call you Cold?

What is this thing you call "wife"?

CW
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

CW

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

img374.imageshack.us/img374/6928/imeaningofwife7db.jpg

CW
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

img374.imageshack.us/img374/6928/imeaningofwife7db.jpg

CW

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
W.I.F.E.

Washing
Ironing
Fucking
Etc

Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

That's disgustingly perfect! I must have one of those t-shirts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top