Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 8:13:22 PM EDT

Standard Front page

RIVERDALE -- It was a show of force worthy of hunting down a gang of the most-hardened criminals.

Twelve officers, some carrying automatic weapons, from five Top of Utah police agencies, two dogs and a helicopter combed the woods near the river parkway in Riverdale Wednesday afternoon.

Their quarry? Teenage shoplifters.

"We were giving chase and decided to use the resources available," said Riverdale Lt. Dave Hansen in explaining the heavy turnout of law enforcement.

I feel safer. Terrified, but safer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
This happend less than a mile from my home...

It sorta pisses me off...

I'm thinking of visiting the local PD office, and the Sheriffs office and seeing who'll talk.

ETA I've met some of the Riverdale PD.... and this is NOT the norm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice post-ban that poser has

They were looking for a dog, and you know it!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually don't shoplift, so I generally don't have the police running after me with ARs. And I hate how the media always says something about AUTOMATIC weapons. What the fuck are the police supposed to use, wheelguns?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I see a bayo lug and flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
When all you have is a hammer...

That is seriously fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I usually don't shoplift, so I generally don't have the police running after me with ARs. And I hate how the media always says something about AUTOMATIC weapons. What the fuck are the police supposed to use, wheelguns?

FWIW... I'm about 90% sure the Riverdale PD issues at least a couple AR's with a funswitch... replaced most of their shotguns with carbines.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like the cops where bored

But I bet those Kids will never shoplift again after being hunted down by Cops with ARs
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm.....

MG's needed for teenage shoplifters.....

At least the officers went home alive....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.standard.net/inc/images/photos/fullsize_358c06a3cd887f9755f4c61b9861b872.jpg

Standard Front page

RIVERDALE -- It was a show of force worthy of hunting down a gang of the most-hardened criminals.

Twelve officers, some carrying automatic weapons, from five Top of Utah police agencies, two dogs and a helicopter combed the woods near the river parkway in Riverdale Wednesday afternoon.

Their quarry? Teenage shoplifters.

"We were giving chase and decided to use waste the resources available," said Riverdale Lt. Dave Hansen in explaining the heavy turnout of law enforcement.

I feel safer. Terrified, but safer.

Nice try trying to justify your stupid decision. If you brought out automatic weapons, that means you considered using them. This isnt the fucking Gaza strip asshole.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see a bayo lug and flash suppressor.

Uhh, yeah, it was a joke, hence the fully extended stock and well...nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When all you have is a hammer...

That is seriously fucked up.

My thoughts exactly.

At least no dogs got killed
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if they'll bring out the armored vehicles if I rip the tag off this mattress?

<ripppppppp>

I'm holed up and waiting. Hope they don't repel through the windows! They're brand new Andersons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Wait I am using an aerosol product in a manner not consistant with its labeling...here comes the helecopter.

ETA: I drove 56mph earlier today...wonder if i am on a watch list now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I put prescriptions in a plastic baggy and gave them to someone that they weren't prescribed for.

They'll probably call out the National Guard for me. Calling it a 'drug bust.'
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
That would have been a freaking awesome resource to use to chase down some of the shoplifters I had to go after. Of course half of them were on crack. We've had managers shot chasing shoplifters. Now most of the stores are scared for their people to chase them out the door, much less leave the parking lot. They get their license plates and call it in to the cops, but that's it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe if the perps offered to pay for the controllers, this would all go away!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

True, but it doesnt justify bringing out the SWAT team, " 'Cause we can"
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was being sarcastic about the cops that got caught stealing soda after hours in a mall, and it being OK with most if they just offered money after the fact!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like thise black rifles are scaring the ARF-sheep...................
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was being sarcastic about the cops that got caught stealing soda after hours in a mall, and it being OK with most if they just offered money after the fact!

Oh,

I didnt bother reading past the first post in that thread, it doesnt matter what your job is; have some damn work ethics pretty much sums up my response to what they did.

...and stop shooting dogs j/k

Scaring the ARF sheep....?

You dont think Farva running around with his M16, setting up road blocks and helicopters arent over-kill/unneeded for some punks shoplifting from an E/B type store? I know their criminals, and should be punished for what they did, but this is just a waste of resources and bullshit scare tactics. Both of which, should not happen.

No way could they be justified if they opened fire.

And the one dude isnt even in uniform! So, if im walking my dog in the same area, and see a guy in jeans with an AR, your sure as shit im gonna pull out my CC. Then what? We got Mr. Highspeed opening fire on a "Suspect with a gun"

Theres 2 types of cops i have 0 respect for:
 1. Ones that use excessive force, or abuse their capabilities (Such as this case)
 2. The ones that spout out "As long as i go home safe at night" -- As long as YOU go home safe at night? You signed up to protect and serve the public asshole. Yeah, i understand you dont want to get hurt or anything, but that saying doesnt really seem like your that committed to your job if your only worried about yourself.  

I try to have respect for Cops, their job is honorable. But, there is a bunch of shit that goes on, that doesnt deserve respect.

If they send out that kind of response for  petty shoplifting, they better be rolling up in tanks if someone breaks into a house.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#21]
This is the kind of incident an anarchist/terrorist lives for. If the police start responding to minor incidents with overwhelming force, it won't be long before some lunatic sets off some fire crackers or fires a couple pistol shots just to set the police off. If you go looking for a war, sooner or later, you'll find one. The police are setting themselves up.

I think the police's lack of restraint and their willingness to use high profile tactics is a recipe for disaster that some evil bastard is going to find irresistable.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#22]
KRISPY-KREME GIVEAWAY INCITES LEO STAMPEDE!!!

Dozens Trampled!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks to me like the police got bored and wanted to practice being tactical. <shrugs shoulders>
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Looks to me like the police got bored and wanted to practice being tactical. <shrugs shoulders>

Yep.  As far as I'm concerned, this is just live practice.  As long as nobody got hurt,
and it didn't really cost any more money than what the cops were normally doing anyway,
what did it hurt?

I would rather cops get a little training like this, then accidently shooting someone innocent
when a bigger problems happens.  

Did they catch the kids?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#25]
They just wanted the kids soda..................cops are longer allowed freebies at Mrs Fields
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Reading the whole story in the link, it appears they will catch all the kids because they got one right away and have his cell with the names of the others. One gave himself up.

Interestingly, the show of force was worthless since the net effect was to arrest an innocent who happend to be standing around in the area. Thank god he wasn't hiding behind a picnic basket or something.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Does it matter what gun they used really?  If they didn't hose down a residence with lead with their DiFi evil guns so what?  I'd have no issue with them having rifles full time as long as they obeyed the laws on deadly force.

You guys kill me.  You scream to high heaven if someone suggests a rifle in the home for self defense is over-kill but have some cop run down the road with an AR and they are nutjobs just itching to mow a kid down?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Does it matter what gun they used really?  If they didn't hose down a residence with lead with their DiFi evil guns so what?  I'd have no issue with them having rifles full time as long as they obeyed the laws on deadly force.

You guys kill me.  You scream to high heaven if someone suggests a rifle in the home for self defense is over-kill but have some cop run down the road with an AR and they are nutjobs just itching to mow a kid down?

Good point.

Of course, I'm curious what would have happened had some non-LEO been strolling through the area with an AR slung over the shoulder?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.

Of course, I'm curious what would have happened had some non-LEO been strolling through the area with an AR slung over the shoulder?

There would have been 1 more idiot running around a neighborhood like a maniac looking for a teenage theif.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.

There would have been 1 more idiot running around a neighborhood like a maniac looking for a teenage theif.

no, you misunderstood.  What if Joe Arfcommer wanted to take a stroll with his AR over his shoulder?  I wonder what the Riverton LEO response would have been.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top