Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:57:09 PM EDT
Last night and today I had an interesting reaction to some medications I took.

I take 1 Alavert a day to keep my allergies from acting up on me. Well last night it wasn't doing the job and they were flaring up so I took a Benadryl to calm them a bit. At that point it was getting late and I hadn't been able to fall asleep so I took a Tylenol PM to doze off faster.

This morning I woke up late for work and felt as if I was drunk. Coordination was off, couldn't walk a straight line, was loose-lipped and blabbering, acting unusual, etc. Wore off after about 3 hours of being awake and a few people asking me if I was truly drunk at work .

Anyone else ever have something like this happen to them?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I take 1 Alavert a day to keep my allergies from acting up on me. Well last night it wasn't doing the job and they were flaring up so I took a Benadryl to calm them a bit. At that point it was getting late and I hadn't been able to fall asleep so I took a Tylenol PM to doze off faster.

This morning I woke up late for work and felt as if I was drunk. Coordination was off, couldn't walk a straight line, was loose-lipped and blabbering, acting unusual, etc. Wore off after about 3 hours of being awake and a few people asking me if I was truly drunk at work .

I have Myasthenia Gravis. Damn near everything screws me up...Sounds like you just had a little too much diphenhydramine.... By the way, the off brand sominex/sleep aid stuff is the same as benadryl, for a fraction of the cost...just a money saving tip

GT
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Elvis used to do the same shit.

Don't be an Elvis.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone slip you the date rape drug?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Elvis used to do the same shit.

Don't be an Elvis.

I'd don't plan on going to the level of eating horse tranquilizers like trail mix
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I reacted badly to anthrax vaccines the first three times I got them.  woke up the next day with no energy, and every single muscle in my body ached like I did a mega workout the previous day.

and I dont just mean a little ache pain, I mean pure fucking agony in every part of my body for 4 days straight.  I'm glad they did the innoculations on fridays so I could at least recover a bit over the weekend, I could hardly walk to get to the damn bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Morophine darn near killed me.

Found out I was allergic as they were pumping me full of it for a kidney stone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Was given Demerol for pain from an auto accident... made me hallucinate.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have Myasthenia Gravis. Damn near everything screws me up...Sounds like you just had a little too much diphenhydramine.... By the way, the off brand sominex/sleep aid stuff is the same as benadryl, for a fraction of the cost...just a money saving tip

GT

I saw a patient who had a bug fly into his right eye.  Over the next couple of days he developed an infection in the eye and the ophthalmologist gave him a gentamycin-based eye ointment.  Within an hour of applying it he started seeing double and his eye drooped.  Did some testing and diagnosed him with MG.  A little Mestinon and he was all better.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm allergic to penicillin as well as a myriad of other medications.  Some make me break out in hives, some make my throat swell almost completely shut, some make me hallucinate.  

Makes getting sick a real pain in the butt.  Most docs won't give me antibiotics for fear it might kill me.

Damn...that's pretty shitty
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
A couple of weeks back I took a vicadyn ( or however the hell you spell it) because my ankle hurt so bad I hadnt slept for 36 hours.  Apparently I dont react well to vicadyn.  I had certain lucid moments where I would suddenly reallize that I was sitting on the floor holding a conversation with the carpet, then I'd have to run outside to puke. An hour later I'd ask myself wtf are you talking to a tree for......then I'd have to run and puke.  After about 12 hours of that I was finally lucid enough to call in sick for work.  Of course, halfway through the call-in I had to stop and ask my boss why in hell was he calling me at home.    I then slept for 18 hours straight.
 No more vicadyn for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
anytime I get Iodine contrast dye injected into me I get high as a kite. I like getting CAT scans
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was younger the docs gave me some kind of pills to help with the seasonal allergies I suffered with. Cannot remember what the specific name was offhand. Anyhow, it gave me the most vivid and real dreams I have ever had. It should be noted that I almost never remember any dreams at all. Wish I could get more of that stuff...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Codine makes me itch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Codine makes me itch.

All natural and synthetic opiates cause the release of histamine to one extent or another.  Some people are more prone to this than others.  Histamine will cause the itching but this isn't a true allergic reaction.  A lot of the old time neuroleptics/anti-psychotics like compazine were actually introduced for their anti-histaminic properties, and are still used today in combination with opiates to prevent the itching and nausea associate with their use.  My nose itches like a mother-f*cker when I take vicodin cough syrup.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife did a CODE BLUE on the OR table from an antibiotic.

Is that unusual enough?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I took pennacillin (spelling?) and ended up with my entire body covered with hives.

Including eyelids. ughh.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Dude, you took way too much benadryl...

You also took way too much histamine blockers in a short period of time...  That alone can jack you up.

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Morphiates give me wild dreams...bright colors, time travel/sci-fi type adventures.

Not bad...but codeine gives me screaming nightmares. Lots of screaming...
So bad that the neighbors called LAPD :) Thought I was being beaten to death or something. I was glad to have the horrible nightmare interupted.

Gwen
p.s. no dog, so no dog killed

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Benadryl makes me edgy and reeeeeaaally unstable. The last time I took some (to keep from having a potential reaction to a bee sting) I ended up throwing a fit like a two year old when someone didn't immediately pay attention to what I was saying. I mean I was literally jumping up and down shrieking at the top of my lungs like the bratty kid at McDonald's. This happens neary every time I take it. My dad and one of my uncles (on the same side of the family, obviously) get really surly and will bite your head off with little provocation when they take benadryl, but they just get really grouchy rather than totally unstable like I sometimes do.

Sometimes when I have an allergic reaction, either the allergy or the medication I take for it will make me wired. I can't hold still, I can't sleep, and I can't think. Have to keep moving, must keep moving, what was I was doing? Oh yeah, I was doing something over here. Gotta keep moving.

And most brands of insect repellant give me asthma. I completely stopped breathing once on a camping trip when I was five or six. Granted, I was asleep at the time, but the point remains: some insect repellants and most flea sprays (especially for use on animals) either make me break out in hives or will cut off my precious oxygen supply.

Otherwise, no, I don't react to medication.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm allergic to penicillin as well as a myriad of other medications.  Some make me break out in hives, some make my throat swell almost completely shut, some make me hallucinate.  

Makes getting sick a real pain in the butt.  Most docs won't give me antibiotics for fear it might kill me.

Damn...that's pretty shitty

Yeah, no kidding.  I really should wear one of those ID tags or something.  The Mr is terrified something will happen to me and the docs won't know the history.  

If your reaction to penicillin is as bad as you say... maybe you should do as the Mr says and wear one of those "ID thingies" it could save him some grief... and your life.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#24]
When I first started taking Neurontin, I found that it gave me raging hardons.  Funny as it sounds, it was a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Vicodin makes me puke by the bucketful!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
When I first started taking Neurontin, I found that it gave me raging hardons.  Funny as it sounds, it was a pain in the ass.

"Hold on, I lost a contact lense. Lemme just bend over and back up here so I can find- HELLO!"

"Sorry!"

"Pete! Don't stand behind me when you take that shit! Geez!"
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You're lucky to have recovered. That combination of drugs was starting to turn you into a woman.

I was once prescribed some drug that was making my stomach bleed. I think it was Naproxen. I quit taking that junk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
In my case I do not react to anesthetics, alcohol, and similar medications.
I first found out when I had to do an endoscope test via back door
The technician increased the dosage to the maximum which should have totally knocked me out, but I only felt a little dizzy.
I live in fear of the time that I have to do open surgery
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Had a one time sever anxiety attack after taking pseudophed, my heart was pounding and I felt like I was going to die. Scared the sh*t outta me. Laid off of it for about a year, but I hate being congested and have taken it since with no ill effect, just never at work as I don't want to risk it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Complete neuro shutdown after getting Succinylcholine: I have a cholinesterose deficiency: 1 in 3000 people have it...this drug was commonly used during surgeries (I was having kidney stones blasted and would up testing the whole recovery team on their skills).
I am also allergic to penecillin.
Not quite as dramatic when I found that out since there was no ventilator involved
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I took a Benadryl
I took a Tylenol PM
This morning I woke up late for work and felt as if I was drunk.

No shit?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Vicodin makes me puke by the bucketful!!

anyone would puke if they took Vicodin by the bucketful

seriously, i know what you mean, anything with codiene in it makes me give up my lunch too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I threw out my back one so badly I could hardly move. I took a Vicodin and then laid down in the bedroom and took a nap. The wife called me for dinner, so I had to get up. So I'm struggling to sit up, but I can't, so I really put a lot of effort into it and managed to half-sit up and roll out of bed. The exertion made my head spin, but I stumbled into the living room and sat down. Then it hit me. I got really hot and flushed and started shaking, then I felt like I was getting stabbed with hot needles all over. The wife came in and went coz I looked like crap.

Bleh.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#35]

sounds like you had a roofie-colada
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#36]
The over-the-counter cough suppressant dextromethorphan makes me hallucinate and unable to sleep.  I didn't have that problem with it until age 40.

Good old codeine works much better for me now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Nyquil makes me shake like crazy.
Oh and it made me puke on my door because I was too slow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top