Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 7:06:11 PM EDT
After much looking and trying to look into things (there is more RC info than I thought!), I bought a Traxxas Emaxx.  After only ever trying the usual el cheapo RC's, this thing is incredible!
Its huge and fast!
Now, does anybody know any good web sites for info?  What are some good stores to purchase accessories?
It was thanks to some answers here that steered me towards the electric RC...I am not disappointed!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That's great!!!!

Now, I'll grab the string, balloons, and ammo, and we'll have a great time shooting moving targets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother has a HPI Savage 4.6!!

It is awesome, I'll get some pics when he gets it put back together.  I also have some video that you all can watch if someone can host it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool R/C truck. Id love to get an airplane or helicopter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a Team Losi XXT, and I upgraded it with all the cool graphite and titanium parts.  Then I went to college, and my Dad moved.  6 years later I don't know where my $600+ is.  Probably in some box in the basement.  Its dark down there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Get a Blade CP if you get a heli. Everything in one box, easy to set up, flies good. We run through about 30 a week at the hobby shop.

As fer planes, a good trainer (electric) is either an IFO MK3 or the U-Can-Do 3d EP. The whole thing is floppy. I don't know how else to explain it. Looks weird when you nail the throttle and the whole tail section twists, but it take's a beating! Stuffed mine in 3 or 4 times now...still kicking.

GT
Part time hobby shop guy
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Curbs are like magnets to R/C cars.  AMHIK
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You're *that* guy aren't you? The one who brings in his truck with thrashed servos and broken A-arms and sheared motor mounts.... The one who wants his truck back TOMORROW.....

I hate you!

Servo savers are your friends. Range check your RX. Put a DVM on your RX battery....
Car guys.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're *that* guy aren't you? The one who brings in his truck with thrashed servos and broken A-arms and sheared motor mounts.... .

No, that was my wife - and it was only a bent rear axle, and I fixed it myself  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No, that was my wife - and it was only a bent rear axle, and I fixed it myself  

Stepping carefully away from the woman driver jokes.......

ETA: how the hell did she bend a REAR axle? Even when people bring in crashed AIRPLANES the tail section is usually pristine, and they have smashed a wooden object into the ground from 300 feet up?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to be a manager at HobbyTown I had a totally stupid E-Maxx
my advice one word ......brushless
or even better dual brushless motors
with those a Emaxx will totally walk away from a gas truck
too bad it will only run for 2 minutes
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Two words. Thunder Power.

and 1 abbreviation. 5s4p.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOBBY SHOP WORKER SHOWDOWN!!!

Seriously, I had a RC10 gt and loved it. My other hobbies pushed it away though and I traded it off.

Whats a good helicopter like the one you mentioned cost? I had never thought about getting one until I saw a vid of some guy flying. It was amazing. This thing flew like a dragon fly. Upside down and everything. I bet he had alot of money in it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOBBY SHOP WORKER SHOWDOWN!!!

Seriously, I had a RC10 gt and loved it. My other hobbies pushed it away though and I traded it off.

Whats a good helicopter like the one you mentioned cost? I had never thought about getting one until I saw a vid of some guy flying. It was amazing. This thing flew like a dragon fly. Upside down and everything. I bet he had alot of money in it.

The Blade CP goes for 220. You can upgrade it with a better motor and symmetrical blades for 30 bucks, and figure 90 bucks for a 3 cell lipo pack and charger. Do NOT charge lipoly batteries on a non-lipo charger, and whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO FAST CHARGE THEM. They take about an hour to charge. If you rush them, they do what is known as "vent and flame". This translates to spew toxic smoke and fire and jump all over the place while doing so.

I am not a car guy, and don't know all that much about em, but I know a bit about power systems....

And Helicopters are hard to fly. Like balancing a marble on a sheet of glass without being able to feel which way you are tilting the glass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The Blade CP goes for 220. You can upgrade it with a better motor and symmetrical blades for 30 bucks, and figure 90 bucks for a 3 cell lipo pack and charger. Do NOT charge lipoly batteries on a non-lipo charger, and whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO FAST CHARGE THEM. They take about an hour to charge. If you rush them, they do what is known as "vent and flame". This translates to spew toxic smoke and fire and jump all over the place while doing so.

I am not a car guy, and don't know all that much about em, but I know a bit about power systems....

And Helicopters are hard to fly. Like balancing a marble on a sheet of glass without being able to feel which way you are tilting the glass.

Dont gyros make it alot easier? If i got a helicopter I think Id shoot for gas.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gyros stabilize to an extent, but you still have to be on the sticks. think of a heading hold gyro as holding the nose of the heli still. you still have to deal with pitch (forwards and backwards) roll (side to side) and altitude. And you are thinking glow fuel--Gasoline engines are neat, but VERY EXPENSIVE. There are a couple glow choppers (.60 size or so) hanging from the roof of the shop right now...If you buy used you can get a good deal.

Heli's can be very dangerous. Imagine your lawnmower flying around. Same risk of injury, except your lawn mower probably won't ever throw a blade and kill you from a distance. Even my little Blade can do serious damage from blade to skin contact. Like getting hit with a 250 mph butter knife.

GT

Dont gyros make it alot easier? If i got a helicopter I think Id shoot for gas.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a Blade CP if you get a heli. Everything in one box, easy to set up, flies good. We run through about 30 a week at the hobby shop.

As fer planes, a good trainer (electric) is either an IFO MK3 or the U-Can-Do 3d EP. The whole thing is floppy. I don't know how else to explain it. Looks weird when you nail the throttle and the whole tail section twists, but it take's a beating! Stuffed mine in 3 or 4 times now...still kicking.

GT
Part time hobby shop guy

I could just picture it now...my luck I'd send  it through the next door neighbors living room window

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
there are a ton of upgrades for the E-Maxx.
Radio Control Zone is a great forum for real R/C

I'm into nitro I have a Traxxas T-Maxx and an Assoacated Nitro TC3.

When you start curbes and stationary objects act like magnets.  
some of the favorite targets are
-Mailbox
-stop Sign Post (the irony)
-curbs
-Car tires
-People

Remember any R/C going at full speed into a solid object is not going to be the same on the way out.

The best thing I learned in my R/C is that when you get a vehicle, learn slow and go up.  Saves on the repair bills.  I do my own repairing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top