Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 5:44:41 PM EDT
Want to put a allarm system in my parents home. never did one before but have snaked wire for phone and cat5 cable.i have been looking at this companies offerings homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=2_1_1_1_0_0_139

Should I get wired or wireless or a combo?

Any install one of these systems before?How hard is it??

thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Wire with wireless backup.
Are you looking to nab or deter?
For nab, make sure it's silent (still only a slim chance, but better than zip;) for deter, use an audible system (determined will go in anyway, but spend less time.)

First thought to my mind without knowing rural/urban, purpose, how often they're home, worried about invasion or burglary, etc.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid a lot of $$ for an ITT wireless system about 10-12 years ago, professionally installed when I lived in VA.  Had nothing but trouble with it and would never try it again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a wired system with a wireless backup. No problems out of it. I just had my guy hide the brain box and the keypad in out of the way places hwere somebody could find them but it would take some looking.

[hijack on]I want to turn off my residential phone line, is there any cheap way to keep a line for the alarm system without paying for a residential number, Bellsouth is carrier here.[/hijack off]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
We have wireless security with ADT, IIRC, at home. Works great, never a problem.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We have wireless security with ADT, IIRC, at home. Works great, never a problem.

Really?

At least down here ADT is King of false alarms.
Most ADT users are blissfully unaware that their homes and businesses are on a "Do Not Respond" list due to very high numbers of false alarms.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
wireless...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top