User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2001 11:17:00 AM EDT
Best Scope For 200 Bucks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I must protest....there is a lack of information here.

What kind of AR, ie flat top, 16", 20" or 24"  Heavy barrel  or light so on.  What do you plan to shoot at, how far out.

If you want inexpensive, try a Leapers 6-24x50mmAO scope. (They say lifetime warranty). I got one for a Ben Franklin and some change.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I was also going to ask what scope to use for my AR.  Here's my specs.:Colt 20" HBAR in A2 configuration, 1:7 twist.  Would like to be able to engage targets (primarily paper)up to 400 yards.  Idealy I would like an ACOG but don't feel like paying $700.  How are the Springfield Armory 5.56mm scopes?  How about those lillte Colt 4x20's (I know they aren't good for 400yds, but I would consider one at a good price).  Any suggestions are a ppreciated.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
This Leupold scope is about a $360 to $450 purchase depending if you get the regular version or the illuminated reticle version.

Will fit the top of both a flattop or a handle, using the appropriate mounts and rings for both setups. Count on an extra $100 for mounts and rings (if you get good ones) .

I like it - works well.   The 1.5X - 5X variable magnification is nice.

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192238&a=11582044&p=41002275[/img]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Simmons 1.5-5x20 set up for general purpose on my Match HBAR. This scope has a matte finish. I think it goes for $125-$150 now.

It works just fine for general use and coyotes, marmots, etc.

I also have a bigger scope for prarie dogs and load development uses.

Hey Esp, where's your trigger guard???

#[size=4]3[/size=4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
It's been said that a $30 Leapers rubber armored scope mounted on a pre-ban Colt H-Bar can shoot 1.5" groups all day long.  With that kind of accuracy, why would you want to spend $400 on any other scope?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Trigger Guard got edited out when I did the Photoshop work on the picture, but the rifle does have one.

As far as spending $400 on a scope versus much less for a Leapers,  I guess my answer is in the form of a question:   why would you want to spend so much on a pre-ban Colt when you can get a better Bushmaster postban for much less?

Answer:  preference and personal choice

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's been said that a $30 Leapers rubber armored scope mounted on a pre-ban Colt H-Bar can shoot 1.5" groups all day long.  With that kind of accuracy, why would you want to spend $400 on any other scope?  
View Quote

Maybe so the adjustments track true and are repeatable?
Maybe so the adjustments will work after a year?
Maybe so the scope doesn't break before it's time?
Maybe so you don't have a wondering zero?
Or maybe to get decent clarity in the glass?
There's nothing worse than wounding game because your scope gave up and didn't tell you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Leapers 4X20 knock off of the Colt carry handle scope, $39.95 at Gun Smoke.
I tried out one of the Leapers 6x24x50's, was very clear. Unfortunately, it(POI) kept moving.
The Leapers 6x20x50 with the 30mm tube looks promising.
Springfield Armory 4x14x40 Gov. Model is a fine scope, but well beyond the price range suggested.
Simmons makes some decent stuff under 200 bucks, shop around.
Keep in mind that a cheap scope is not going to last like a quality piece will, and there are few things more frustrating than bad optics.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Americanpie...1.5-nch groups @ 100 yards with a PRE-ban Colt is PATHETIC! My first AR15, a Colt A2 Government Model(ca 1988), would put 3 shots inside a DIME at that range, using sand bags, a Harris bipod and a Bushnell 6X Scopechief target scope.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest going to S.W.F.A.  They have great deals on scopes of all types.  I purchased an Aimpoint ML-XD from them for about $275.  It is perfect for my 16" V-Match BM.  
    I would also like to recommend the Simmons Pro50.  S.W.F.A. usually has refurbished models selling for $59.95. These do not look refurbished in any way.  They are more than likely returns by cheap slob hunters who purchase them for deer season and then return them with a lame excuse afterwards.  I purchased (2) of these.  One was placed on my 24" Varmint AR and the other on my 20" A2.  In both cases I was more than pleased with their performance.
    If you'd rather new, then the Pro 50 lists for $199 and generally sells for between $99-150
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Yo...Shooter1201...I wasn't talking sandbags and bipods.  That's benchrest shooting and if you do that with your own loads, you can shoot some pretty tight groups.  I'm talking what's practical.  Try standing there, no sandbags and shoot about 60 rounds or so with some Sellier & Bellot.  If all your shots wind up in a 1.5" group I would say you're doing pretty well.  By all means...buy the best scope you can...why not?  But, then...to what end?  You can have a $1000 rifle with a $1500 Swarovski scope and your groups might be a hair tighter.  My point is...what is reasonable and at what price?  If the goal is teeny-tiny groups of bench rest shooting...have at it with your $400-500 Leupolds.  However, I'll take a Leapers or BEC, shoot reasonably small groups from a standing position and be happy with those results.  I've been shooting the same scope for almost four years, the groups are still the same and I'm very satisfied with the $30 I spent on that "cheap" scope.  Since I just shoot at paper and don't have any desire to kill anything, this works very well for me.  If, however, the whole idea of fun is to kill something that can't shoot back, then by all means please buy the best equipment you can.  That's only right!      
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The Acid Test:

If someone offered you a Leupold or a Leapers, which one would you take?  

If your life depended on it (literally),  which scope would you put on your rifle?   A Leupold or a Leapers?

BTW,  AMERICAN PIE:  I noticed that your post said "It's been said that a $30 Leapers. . "  does this mean that you're taking this strong position backing up Leapers and you don't even have one?   Or does it mean that you do have a Leapers, but personally are not yet able to print a 1.5" group?    It's confusing because your last post makes it sound like now you do have a Leapers.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#15]
slt223-
I have one of the Springfield Armory 5.56mm scopes on my DPMS flattop.  I love it.  The rangfinding device works great and the whole thing is backed by a lifetime warranty.  For not more than $300 bucks I think it's a pretty good deal.  

ques
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You don't happen to have a picture of the Springfield on your DPMS flattop do you?  I'd love to see it.   I went the Springfield Armory Site but they don't have a picture of the 5.56mm compact scope.

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
ESP-
I'll see if I can scrounge one up for ya.  I know I don't have any close-ups of the scope itself, but I believe I have a few shots of the rifle with the scope mounted on it.  I'll check.

ques
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If this doesn't work don't get mad, first time tryin to post a pic.  It's crappy quality but maybe you can get an idea.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1539930&a=11670340&p=41453225&Sequence=0&res=high[\img]

ques
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I'v got a Simmons pro hunter 6X18 on my AR10.  No complaints!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I know Gator38 and he's got a Bushy M4 with an A1 upper. He's got it tricked out pretty good right now. I think he's looking for something that will give good accuracy at 100-300 yds, on a handle mount. He's got an ATN sight, but he's looking to replace that toilet paper tube and duct tape scope setup he has for the range.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Ques,

That's a nice rig you got there.  Tell me more about it - looks like you have the Accuracy Speaks adjustable buttstock, 20" Fluted DPMS, Ergo Grip w/ palm rest, and a Harris bipod on there.    How about the rings ?  

Do you go crow hunting?   From how far away?  Can you pop a few of them before the whole flock takes off?
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#22]
ESP-
Thanks for the comment.  The basic rifle is a DPMS Deluxe Super Bull.  It comes with the adjustable stock and ergo grip, as well as the 1" fluted barrel.  I dropped a Jewell 2-stage in, probably one of the best upgrages on the rifle.  I've got it set so light sometimes 2 cases hit the ground when you pull the trigger.  The bipods are Harris with the swivel option that lets you cant the rifle.  The scope of course is a SA and the rings are Arms #22 throw lever.  They're guaranteed to return to zero after removal.  A truly nice setup, the rifle shoots great!
As for the crows, most are killed with the Mossberg and Beretta in the background.  Sometimes straglers land in the trees a few yards out and that's when the fun begins.  Usually shoot em anywhere between 100 and 300 yds.

ques
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top