Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2005 3:36:49 PM EDT
What the hell??
I think I'd probably have to send the wife and kids back to the grandparents and buy a one way ticket to Hell.
Passengers to include the City Counsil.

This is just bullshit....

Article

A New (London) Low
A refrigerator box under the bridge: The Kelo Seven prepares for the worst

by Jonathan O'Connell - July 14, 2005

Those who believe in the adage "when it rains, it pours" might take the tale of the plaintiffs in Kelo v. New London as a cue to buy two of every animal and a load of wood from Home Depot. The U.S. Supreme Court recently found that the city's original seizure of private property was constitutional under the principal of eminent domain, and now New London is claiming that the affected homeowners were living on city land for the duration of the lawsuit and owe back rent. It's a new definition of chutzpah: Confiscate land and charge back rent for the years the owners fought confiscation.
In some cases, their debt could amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Moreover, the homeowners are being offered buyouts based on the market rate as it was in 2000 .

The hard rains started falling that year, when Matt Dery and his neighbors in Fort Trumbull learned that the city planned to replace their homes with a hotel, a conference center, offices and upscale housing that would complement the adjoining Pfizer Inc. research facility.

The city, citing eminent domain, condemned their homes, told them to move and began leveling surrounding houses. Dery and six of his neighbors fought the takeover, but five years later, on June 23, the downpour of misfortune continued as the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the city could claim the property for economic development.

Dery owns four buildings on the project site, including his home and the birthplace and lifelong home of his 87-year-old mother, Wilhelmina. Dery plans to make every remaining effort to keep his land, but with few legal options remaining, he's planning for the worst.

And for good reason. It's reasonable to think that people who purchased property years ago (in some cases, decades ago) would be in a position to cash in, especially since they're being forced from their homes. But that's not the case.

The New London Development Corp., the semi-public organization hired by the city to facilitate the deal, is offering residents the market rate as it was in 2000, as state law requires. That rate pales in comparison to what the units are now worth, owing largely to the relentless housing bubble that has yet to burst.

"I can't replace what I have in this market for three times [the 2000 assessment]," says Dery, 48, who works as a home delivery sales manager for the New London Day . He soothes himself with humor: "It's a lot like what I like to do in the stock market: buy high and sell low."

And there are more storms on the horizon. In June 2004, NLDC sent the seven affected residents a letter indicating that after the completion of the case, the city would expect to receive retroactive "use and occupancy" payments (also known as "rent") from the residents.

In the letter, lawyers argued that because the takeover took place in 2000, the residents had been living on city property for nearly five years, and would therefore owe rent for the duration of their stay at the close of the trial. Any money made from tenantssome residents' only form of incomewould also have to be paid to the city.

With language seemingly lifted straight from The Goonies , NLDC's lawyers wrote, "We know your clients did not expect to live in city-owned property for free, or rent out that property and pocket the profits, if they ultimately lost the case." They warned that "this problem will only get worse with the passage of time," and that the city was prepared to sue for the money if need be.

A lawyer for the residents, Scott Bullock, responded to the letter on July 8, 2004, asserting that the NLDC had agreed to forgo rents as part of a pretrial agreement in which the residents in turn agreed to a hastened trial schedule. Bullock called the NLDC's effort at obtaining back rent "a new low."

"It seems like it is simply a desperate attempt by a nearly broke organization to try to come up with more funds to perpetuate its own existence," Bullock wrote. He vowed to respond to any lawsuit with another.

With the case nearly closed, the NLDC may soon make good on its promise to sue. Jeremy Paul, an associate UConn law dean who teaches property law, says it's not clear who might prevail in a legal battle over rent. "From a political standpoint, the city might be better off trying to reach some settlement with the homeowners," he says.

An NLDC estimate assessed Dery for $6,100 per month since the takeover, a debt of more than $300K. One of his neighbors, case namesake Susette Kelo, who owns a single-family house with her husband, learned she would owe in the ballpark of 57 grand. "I'd leave here broke," says Kelo. "I wouldn't have a home or any money to get one. I could probably get a large-size refrigerator box and live under the bridge."

That's one way to get out of the rain.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]

It is completely understandable why some people go postal under similar circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
And now we know why we have a 2nd Amendment.  

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, i read about this the other day.

This shit is the reason courthouses and city hall's have metal detectors and bullet resistant glass.

I can see someone going off over this.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is completely understandable why some people go postal under similar circumstances.

+1

not saying it's right, but yes, I could completely understand why someone would go postal in this situation.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We're gettin' close fellas...... REAL close.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup.  My photo would be page one of every newspaper on the planet if the same were to happen to me.  Of course, I wouldn't be around to see it.

I keep asking myself what is going to be the last straw.  The men and women that founded this nation WENT TO WAR with the most powerful nation on the planet over just a *FRACTION* of the outrageous behavior that we endure on a daily basis.

Yeah, I know most of the sheep are too pacified to ever give up their illusion of freedom and wellbeing, but someday, somewhere enough light bulbs are going to go on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with everyone else... I can see someone "going postal" over this.  Government has gotten too arrogant, self-centered, and powerful.  It's coming near time for people to start voting in non-conventional ways.  

edited to add:  this is one of the ways .gov gets around having to pay you for your land if/when they decide they want it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think I would be somewhere in that boat. Someone would pay.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Fucken asshats.........
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I agree with everyone else... I can see someone "going postal" over this.  Government has gotten too arrogant, self-centered, and powerful.  It's coming near time for people to start voting in non-conventional ways.  

edited to add:  this is one of the ways .gov gets around having to pay you for your land if/when they decide they want it.

Its even worse than that.  If this is allowed, it will be a huge deterrant to someone being able to challenge any eminent domain case in court.  Think about it, if you leave your house and still fight it, you will have to either pay rent and a mortgage (or double mortgage) to live somewhere else, or risk financial ruin for "back" rents.  This is going to be a big bully tactic if the courts allow it.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, no shit. 2 towns over.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its even worse than that.  If this is allowed, it will be a huge deterrant to someone being able to challenge any eminent domain case in court.  Think about it, if you leave your house and still fight it, you will have to either pay rent and a mortgage (or double mortgage) to live somewhere else, or risk financial ruin for "back" rents.  This is going to be a big bully tactic if the courts allow it.  

I know.  This is pure BS... I don't usually wish ill on people, but that town council has a well-deserved day of reckoning coming.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
So...any bulldozers reported missing in the area?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I think there'd be some dead city officials. Period.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Too bad the "kill 'em all" phrase is frowned upon at arfcom, or I'd suggest something similar to that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Do what the Romans did.  Scorced earth in Carthago.  No two stones stood together and no blade of grass could grow.  Dump hazmat on the site and make it a superfund clean-up site.  Disappear.  If you can't have your land, neither can the City or any private developer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
i'd bet some bills that says that hotel will eventually burn down....a couple times.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1

It won't be long.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1

not saying it's right, but yes, I could completely understand why someone would go postal in this situation.  

Well, I AM saying it's right.

We always say the 2nd is there to protect the others. Anybody who obeys this obviously illegal order to confiscate this land earns what's coming to them. There's a reason the 2nd is there, and it's stuff like this. The founders wrote about it.

Quite frankly, if that was my house, I'd be there in front of the cameras with my rifle saying "Exactly how many gov't paid officials is my house worth?"

This court case is as fucked up as the one that said, yes, people could be property. It should be treated as that one should have been treated. In other words, we should be at Ace Hardware buying good rope.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Postal? This is beyond "postal."

Wow. It'd be understandable if they went nuclear.

Did I wake up in another country today? Is this still America?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It won't be long.

I don't think so, not as long as Joe Everyman has his reality TV
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do what the Romans did.  Scorced earth in Carthago.  No two stones stood together and no blade of grass could grow.  Dump hazmat on the site and make it a superfund clean-up site.  Disappear.  If you can't have your land, neither can the City or any private developer.

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So...any bulldozers reported missing in the area?

Strangely enough--yes.  There was also a B&E at a welding supply shot and a steel plate manufacturing company.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

This would actually be fairly easy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It won't be long.

+1.  The only people who MIGHT do something about it are those directly involved. NOBODY else will help them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
+1.  The only people who MIGHT do something about it are those directly involved. NOBODY else will help them.

agreed.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What the hell??
I think I'd probably have to send the wife and kids back to the grandparents and buy a one way ticket to Hell.

What do I think ?

I think you are a blowhard who would wet himself at the first hint of "the man"                                 knocking on your door.  That's what I think.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#31]

And if they did do something, the .gov and the media would portray them as a religious cult, or right wing extremists. Just like Waco and OKC.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed.

no one answer.. but ask yourselfs.. would you help out if they came to blows ... shots fired type of deal as they stand in front of THIER house ... or would you watch on TV?

if not why?

if so.. ,  like i said.. dont answer...

and  the corp offices of the busniess that is buying the land... any accidents yet,,, ?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Damn, you're a smart fella.

I'll be watching you.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, you're a smart fella.

I'll be watching you.  

+1.  However, be careful.  Hide yourself really well.  The EPA and the Feds will be out to get you for sure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
What the hell??

What do I think ?

I think you are a blowhard who would wet himself at the first hint of "the man"                                 knocking on your door.  That's what I think.

I think your an ass diggin metrosexual.

Guess we all have our opinions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed.

no one answer.. but ask yourselfs.. would you help out if they came to blows ... shots fired type of deal as they stand in front of THIER house ... or would you watch on TV?

if not why?

if so.. ,  like i said.. dont answer...

and  the corp offices of the busniess that is buying the land... any accidents yet,,, ?

*quietly cleans guns*

There's a reason for the Second Amendment and all the other items in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. So... How many government employees is MY house worth? I guarantee, you pull that shit around here and it's gonna become some mighty expensive real estate.

I predict that shortly after the cops fire "tear gas" into the house, it mysteriously burns down with me or whoever is fighting this sort of tyranny inside.

As for any federal agent who might be reading this and making notes... You have better things to do. I'm categorized as "mostly harmless". I won't go making trouble, but I'll sure as heck wing it right back at ya if you go bringing it to me. So quit making your little reports on all the "right-wing extremists", "militia gun nuts", and "anti-government anarchists" and get a fucking clue: We're Americans, and that means we don't take shit from anyone, including you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This shit is the reason courthouses and city hall's have metal detectors and bullet resistant glass.

Just means you need to stockpile larger calibers.....

this eminent domain crap is getting way out of hand
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if a guy had his house seized and decided to fight it, what should he do with his assets?  Liquidate all and buy gold?  Move them all to an off-shore bank account untouchable by the U.S. government?  After all, they can't garnish/seize what they can't get at, right?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Time to go POSTAL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd do something similar to what my friend did.

Send them a bill in turn.  Cite snow removal, lawncare, housing upkeep etc.  Seek reimbursment of money spent on keeping the electricity and water.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Let nature takes its course...

The biggest earthquake area on the east coast is the mouth of the Connecticut river just a short distance away from New London.. Its well over due..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#42]
It's time for another Tea Party.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

unfortunatly I think the rest of America forgot its History.  The brainwashers rewrote history.....remember?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:21:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Why have another Tea Party when there's a Dunkin' Donuts right down the street?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If the city took my house and tried to charge me back rent, "go off" wouldn't even begin to cover it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#46]
On a serious note, to think I thought the Eminent Domain decision in June was as low as .gov could get.

This is really, really getting out of hand. Not content with a landmark decision in its favor to grab private land something other than a public use, the City of New London has now taken the dagger and twisted it into the back of its own citizens. I must say I am completely and utterly amazed at this. How brazen of New London.

If this was a little further north, where I live, I shudder to think of what could happen as a result of being shoved around by the local .gov like that. Hell, this is beyond shoving, this is being shoved, knocked down, kicked and stomped while you are down.

Time to go nuclear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It won't be long.

Yep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#48]
hmmmmmmmmm.  If you ask me, this kind of government activity sounds a very great deal like the kind of government dirty tricks that eventually led to the Boston Tea party...  These idiots in New London keep this up, and at some point in time the local government might find itself on teh wrong end of a little local 'rebellion'.  personally, I'd like to watch that.  Anybody got popcorn.

I will openly recognize that this post may indeed cause me some trouble.  It may cause some government scrutiny.  So be it........

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Too bad the "kill 'em all" phrase is frowned upon at arfcom, or I'd suggest something similar to that.

I'm pretty sure it's OK as long as you're talking about white males.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

amen brother.........amen...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top