Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 10:51:52 AM EDT
can anyone tell me what the ships key is, and where is it located.

thanks
steve
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

thanks
steve

On the shelf, next to the buckets of steam, prop wash, left handed metric adjustable wrenches.

It's just above where the Radar guys keep their spare fallopian tubes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

thanks
steve

You lookin' fer one???                  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the ships key was the key to the whiskey cabinet in the galley!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
It locks the room where the mail bouys are stored.  Tou need a DC punch to get in the door without the key.  Go to DC Central and ask for one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
>put key in ship

#you cannot use that here

>walk west

# you are at the front of a ship

>put key in ship

# you cannot use that here

>kill self

# I was hoping you would do that.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It's in the sick bay hanging next to that case of NSU.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I thought it was a bullshit question, I just needed to know for sure.

Steve.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Its keyless entry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm still looking for that roll of flight line.

I did find the ASH Receiver, though!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Its over there by the relative bearing grease....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I thought it was a bullshit question, I just needed to know for sure.

Steve.

Yep  Did you fall for it?

You did, didn't you.  You can tell us......we won't laugh.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
A couple of seamen were running around asking everyone. They were told they couldn't go home until they had an answer. I told them it was a bullshit question, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
Steve.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A couple of seamen were running around asking everyone. They were told they couldn't go home until they had an answer. I told them it was a bullshit question, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
Steve.

Nice
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If it is a verbal question, there might actually be an answer.

'quay' is pronounced 'key'.

Defined as "a structure built parallel to the bank of a waterway for use as a landing place "

Basically, the ship ties up next to it, and you can load/offload people, equipment and goods.

Thus it is possible that the ship might have a specific quay/key

NTM
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
the shaft seals ate it
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell,i'm still looking for gig line and a pad eye puller.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know the context in which it was used, but there is a Morse Code Key for sending Morse code in the radio room.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks
steve

On the shelf, next to the buckets of steam, prop wash, left handed metric adjustable wrenches.

You got em all.    
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
The Ship's Key?  

Well Hell Son, the Snipes keep it, usually in the oil shop or in main control.  Check with the Oil King or the MPA...they'll know where to find it!  They use it to open the grease locker wherein the Relative Bearing grease is stored .  The special grease is often used to grease the special "water line" for use in the motor whale boat before coming alongside of the mail buoy.  Saves wear and tear on the line.  We even set the "Mail Buoy Detail" once when entering Norfolk shortly after our commissioning.  I had seven eager young swabs in the detail too.  They were all decked out in foul weather gear (It was winter in the North Atlantic after all!), kapoks, portable battle lanterns to find the damn thing in the waning twilight, and one even had his boat hook with which to snare the mail buoy as we came alongside, which is an alternative to putting the boat in the water if the mail bag isn't too full.

One word of caution though.  In the far southern latitudes, near 'round Cape Horn, making up to the mail buoy can be a bit hard, especially in the summer.  The reason is because that is the breeding season for the seabats.  During breeding season, the seabats are as crazy as a virgin swab on his first overnighter in Subic!    The damn things go absolutely nuts, flying around the ship in droves, especially at night of course.  Sometimes if you are really lucky, you can catch one!  

We caught one once...had it in a box on the foc'sle.  We showed the seabat to several of the new members of the crew too...after the bridge announced that we had caught one.  

Damn...I do miss those days...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks
steve

You got em all.    

Nope, forgot the sound powered phone batteries.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks
steve

You got em all.    

Nope, forgot the sound powered phone batteries.

and under the vortex generator servicing cart.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Its right next to the Army's key to area J, no wait its next to the box of grid squares, or maybe its by the canopy lights
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If it is a verbal question, there might actually be an answer.

'quay' is pronounced 'key'.

Defined as "a structure built parallel to the bank of a waterway for use as a landing place "

Basically, the ship ties up next to it, and you can load/offload people, equipment and goods.

Thus it is possible that the ship might have a specific quay/key

NTM

No, it's not nearly that serious. It's a gag played on new seamen.  You tell them they cannot
go ashore for leave until they find the ship's key and put it back in it's proper place.
You let them do it for an hour or day depending on how mean you are.  

And you can tell the salty dogs from the landlubbers by the responses to this thread
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#26]
OK....In my day as a Puddle Duck they refered to the "Ships Key" as the Key used by the Quartermasters to wind the ships Chronometer..........I could not find an entry in the Encyclopedia of Nautical Knowledge........but it could be kept next to the "Navigators Balls"
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It locks the room where the mail bouys are stored.  Tou need a DC punch to get in the door without the key.  Go to DC Central and ask for one.

Don't forget you have to blow the MPA first.
Watch out for the sea bats in the mail buoy storage room
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
[we won't laugh.

the hell we won't!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#29]
OOD, from Maneuvering, request permission to blow the DCA.

ETA:  Ah, shit, someone got there first.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]
canopy lights
riser grease
box of grid squares
roll of contour line
some 550 cord to repair the battalion commo net
MARPAT
E-8 remover
an ST-1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
canopy lights
riser grease
box of grid squares
roll of contour line
some 550 cord to repair the battalion commo net
MARPAT
E-8 remover
an ST-1

Once I told a guy to get some E-9 remover, and didn't know the Sergeant Major was in ear shot.

Another one of those ass chewings where the ass chewer keeps breaking up laughing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on what class.  Ships key is used to remove the screw, all the subs I have been on, that had one, stored them in shaft alley somewhere.  If you did not know what to look for it appears to be part of the structure, it is rather large.

It is a BS question but one does exist, back in the day we would call that question an oooolie or go no go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Where in shaft alley?  I spent many a maneuvering watch there on the outboards.

And, it was my preferred field day spot.  Just stay away from the ram.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#34]
What class?

Friend of mine got his SP cord snagged by some of the bolts on the shaft as anchor watch during manuering watch, said all kinds of things were going through his mind as his head got closer and closer to the shaft  Lucy for him he was a lifter and in good shape, was able to grab the cord and break it before the shaft ate him.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I was on 726 and 688 I.

I had a close call with the rudder ram myself, scared the hell out of me.  Only because I fell, not that I was in a bad spot intentionally.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#36]
637 was shaft alley, I don't think T-hulls carried them at all and I don't remember for 688's, may be the same as Tridents.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
637 was shaft alley, I don't think T-hulls carried them at all and I don't remember for 688's, may be the same as Tridents.

EWWWWW!  A 637?  Them's OOOOLD boats.  

I never saw one on the boats I was on, though the knowledge existed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top