Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:34:13 AM EDT
A relative was sued recently and the court found for the plaintiff.

She (relative) gets a process server at her door this morning looking for her husband. Apparently, the company that sued her is now trying to either seize assets or garnish her husband's wages.

Louisiana is a community property state, but is this legal? Her husband's name is not even on any of the paperwork she signed. If so, what can they (and who is THEY?) take?

Any help I can pass along would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for night crew
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone able to help out here? Even any place I can call or a web-site to visit?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Your problem is your relative lost a lawsuit.  There is not big $$$ in it for a lawyer at this point.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
She's worried about the asset thing though. It wasn't a whole lot of money involved, but the principle of her husband's check garnished for something he didn't do. Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
.... It wasn't a whole lot of money involved.....

like I said.......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top