Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 8:20:34 AM EDT
For my post #69.....

I always wanted a M16 style .308. So I've been looking at the Bushmaster .308, the Armalite AR-10, etc. etc.

The .308's that take the $5 FAL mags are at the top of my list since I would rather not pay $25 and up for modified M14 mags.

The problem is the gas system. I read a report a long time ago that Stoner's original design did not direct the gas into the bolt carrier to cycle the action. But they changed it so now we have the First Commandment to always keep your M16 style weapon clean. I've carried an M16 for the Man and I have issues with this situation. I would rather not have to deal with it, especially if I'm ever in a SHTF situation. But I am most familiar with the M16 style vs. a FAL, L1A1, HK 91 etc., etc.

Now IIRC, I read somewhere that there is a M16 style without the 'dirty' gas system, but I can't get it confirmed from any of the manufacturer sites. It seems they just want to tout the barrel length and accessories you can get.

So getting to the point, does anybody have any websites that gives the straight poop on this?

Because I would really like to have a FAL capable, original Stoner gas system design M16 style .308.

That just makes too much sense but it seems the manufacturers only give you either one or the other, but not both. Why is that?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=62

The AR-10 forum has alot of answers, do not know if you already posted it there, just saving you thr grief of some ass slamming you for posting in the GD. I want a one too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
There are gas piston AR15s out there... I have not seenone in 308.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Zoe,
Thanks for the heads up. I've now posted this in the AR -10 forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top