Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 7:54:42 AM EDT
WTF?

MIAMI -- On. Aug. 5, a dog escaped from his back yard and was picked up by county dogcatchers. His owner called to claim him and went twice to the shelter to pick the dog up, only to find out a week later that the dog had been euthanized.
Anays Rodriguez-Porras says her 10-year-old golden retriever "Cowboy" was part of her family.

Rodriguez-Porras and her husband searched frantically for Cowboy, and they called Miami-Dade County Animal Services to report the dog missing.

Five days later, animal services called to say they had Cowboy, and had identified him by an implanted microchip.

Rodriguez-Porras says her reaction was, "Thank God! They got the dog!"

But her happiness was short-lived. Because of necessary paperwork and processing, she and her husband were kept from picking Cowboy up for three more days. When they were finally able to pick the dog up, they were informed that Cowboy had been euthanized.

Paperwork showed that he was put down three days before he should have been if the owner hadn't been located. Since he had a microchip and the owner had been located, he should have been held in a kennel for pick up.

Animal Services Director Dr. Sara Pizano said Wednesday, "This was human error. I have no excuse. There's no reason for such a thing to happen."

On Wednesday, Pizano, who has run animal services for just five weeks, fired supervisor Barry Adkins, who had signed off on the paperwork that allowed Cowboy to be euthanized. Pizano was formerly director of veterinary-services for the Humane Society of Broward County. She was brought in to shape up animal services.

Christian Dunham, an attorney for Adkins, said his client was ''very sorry and sad for the family,'' and was willing to write a letter of apology or offer compensation for the dog.

Dunham called the firing ''unwarranted,'' and said Adkins was promised time to respond to the allegations in writing.

He added that Adkins has had an unblemished career and plans to appeal the firing.

Pizano said she will make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

The Rodriguez-Porras family says that's small consolation for the loss of their beloved pet.

www.local10.com/news/4864779/detail.html

At least the guy was fired. But, like they said, that's small consolation.  I mean, the family paid for that microchip so this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Sue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Too bad. Warranted firing to me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Any cops involved.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, this proves again that people are generally the weakest link in any "system".  There is no way to elimate "human error".  If the person had an unblemished career as is reported, then I think the firing of the individual was a little overboard.  

If this happened to my dog, I would be irate, but I also understand that mistakes do happen.  The family should be compensated and should never have to pay for any services again from Miami Animal Services.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Animal Services Director Dr. Sara Pizano said Wednesday, "This was human error. I have no excuse. There's no reason for such a thing to happen."

While I appreciate the honesty, an "Oops, we fucked up" doesn't really do it for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I would absolutely be crushed.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Euthanize the idiot supervisor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, i saw that yesterday on the local news. Poor little doggy. I would sue the hell out of them & then give the money to the humane society.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
WOW just wow... If that piece of S%^# got his job back, I would OWN the humane society for what they did. Simple.... Permanantly fire the fu%^ or I file suit... Your choice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Ever notice how NOBODY gets fired for incompetence anymore?

You can be downsized or rightsized or re-engineered, but by gum if you get out there and really fuck things up, not only will you not lose your job, you may well be promoted into upper management...

go figure...

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be suing the shit out of the guy. There's NO personal responsibility anymore for when some one screws up, it seems to me.

Using the logic of having a perfect record, if I went out and shot my neighbor's dog I guess they'd be saying it's okay because it's my first offense?  Even it if was an "accident"?

There should be penalties for incompetence, or plain old mistakes. Aren't they supposed to check for chips first, when the animals are being processed?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd be suing the shit out of the guy. There's NO personal responsibility anymore for when some one screws up, it seems to me.

Using the logic of having a perfect record, if I went out and shot my neighbor's dog I guess they'd be saying it's okay because it's my first offense?  Even it if was an "accident"?

There should be penalties for incompetence, or plain old mistakes. Aren't they supposed to check for chips first, when the animals are being processed?

Bad example.  Shooting your neighbors dog is not "routine".  Euthanizing unclaimed dogs, as unfortunate a practice as it may be, is the routine at animal shelters all through the country.

I am not saying that the individual should not be held responsible, demoted, lowered in pay, etc., etc.  One thing missing from the above article is the responsibility that animal services is claiming in this error.  If in fact this was due to negligence or malfeasance then animal services should be just as culpable as Mr. Adkins.

All I am trying to point out is that this sad event may be the result of a simple error and not due to incompetence.  Dates on forms can be transposed, figures can be misinterpreted.

The way you all talk, I guess you guys have never made a mistake at work?

I worked for several years in an environment where mistakes could cost human lives.  We trained very intensively and were held to extremely high standards.  But even in this environment, mistakes still happened.  

As I said in my first post.  If humans are involved in any system, you are going to have mistakes.  The challenge is to try to minimize the frequency and more importantly the impact of the mistakes because the elimination of mistakes is impossible as long as humans are in the equation.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
From my limited experience with the local Humane Society, they seem to care more about reducing the pet population than they do about helping the pets.  In some of their solicitation phone calls I've received, the first thing they brag about is how many animals they've killed rather than how many they've found homes for.z
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
And to think that this dog would still be alive if the owners hadn't made the mistake of not properly securing their back yard.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Sue the employees that f'd up, not the damn shelter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any cops involved.

I love seeing that joke in EVERY SINGLE thread involving dogs or cops.  It never, ever gets old!!!1

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I love seeing that joke in EVERY SINGLE thread involving dogs or cops.  It never, ever gets old!!!1

You're right!  It's HILARIOUS!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Neither do threads that put a dog's life on par with a human's life.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And to think that this dog would still be alive if the owners hadn't made the mistake of not properly securing their back yard.

That's not always the case.  My dog got loose because my neighbors behind me decided to replace a section of the common fence without telling me (the dog has free access to the back yard).  Fortunately, the neighbors caught him and called me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Any cops involved.

Just the guy that used to work there.   He applied at the local PD for the Chief's Position
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
"On. Aug. 5, a dog escaped from his back yard..."

Whose back yard? his back yard.

Not his neighbors back yard? Nope. his back yard.

Not the animal control directors back yard? Nope. his back yard.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
From my limited experience with the local Humane Society, they seem to care more about reducing the pet population than they do about helping the pets.  In some of their solicitation phone calls I've received, the first thing they brag about is how many animals they've killed rather than how many they've found homes for.z

I don't think they are bragging about euthanizing animals.  I think they are using the figures to try to show the enormity of the problem they face and maybe to promote the idea of "adoption" of pound animals.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

PETA has euthanized 95% of all animals sent to them. If someone who committs a felony is a felon, then PETA is an iron.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Big +3...I would flip the fuck out...no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If the person had an unblemished career as is reported, then I think the firing of the individual was a little overboard.  

Most civil servents never get reported for anything unless it is very serious.
Do you know what it takes to get reported and attached to your professional record for anything?
You have to mess up REALLY BIG to get it.

Too many hoops to jump through so nobody bothers with it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top