Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 7:24:08 AM EDT
I recently bought a decent Rem 870 wingmaster for $75.  It has a 20" barrel and there is some wear on the slide/barrel.  I wouldnt mind doing camo or solid black but basically Im looking for the best way to either spot finish or competely refinish the rifle for the absolutely cheapest amount.  Ideas?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Duct tape- it can do ANYTHING!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Krylon.

But beware........
this might get moved to the Shotgun Finishing or Paint Forum
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
What about a bottle of cold blue?

Or duct tape.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I recently bought a decent Rem 870 wingmaster for $75.  It has a 20" barrel and there is some wear on the slide/barrel.  I wouldnt mind doing camo or solid black but basically Im looking for the best way to either spot finish or competely refinish the rifle for the absolutely cheapest amount.  Ideas?

Use some BBQ paint and cure it in your oven.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Alumahyde.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
You want it done cheap or you want it done right?  Norrell's moly-resin is probably the best coating on the market right now.  It's a heat cured coating that permanently bonds to the metal and decreases wear and increases corrosion resistance, dramatically.  If you're going to be hunting with it then I reccomend this coating very much.  I've got an AR done in flat black and a Sig 220 slide done in flat black.  My next AR build will be done in OD green.  It's easy to apply and very durable.  You can't go wrong with it.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Look for a "U Spray" type of bead blast joint.  

They charge buy the minute and a shotgun would probably cost around $15 to really strip naked.  Then buy a can of that teflon-moly crap from Brownells and spray it as soon as possible before rust sets in.  Invite your family to leave the house for an afternoon while you bake it in the oven.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Moly Resin is the best. however, since it requires an airbrush, that ups the cost if you don't already own one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
THis sounds barbaric but what about spray on bed liner.  I mean this gun is for tuff shit only nad by no means a safequeen.  If I cant do something like this that doesnt require baking then Im going to just leave it seeing that it doesnt hurt anything being ugly
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my wingmaster back from my gunsmith. He parkerized it for $75. Top notch! I'll post before and after pics in the morning......

jj
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just got my wingmaster back from my gunsmith. He parkerized it for $75. Top notch! I'll post before and after pics in the morning......

jj

I would really like the gritty tuff finish of the express magnum.  Anybody know if I can accomplish this for cheap?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

jj

I would really like the gritty tuff finish of the express magnum.  Anybody know if I can accomplish this for cheap?

870 express is bead blasted then blued. A dark parkerising would give better protection and a similar finish. parkerising is easy to do and sold in kits. you could find one at brownells
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my current situation. I live in an apt with not much of a garage for a shop.  I dont want to buy other tools needed to do this job. I guess Im really looking for a poor mans finish suck as the bedliner method but I was curious if anybody else has done that?  I would think it would have all the characteristics I want(rough and durable) and above all else is cheap as shit.  

Maybe I will just leave it. It isnt that bad at all I was just wowed by the 870 I saw at the store today
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Before

After

$75 well spent.....to let a pro do it. Enhances resale, better than spending $20 and ruining it. IMHO

jj
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Before
img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/jjrockbush/xrem870002.jpg

After
img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/jjrockbush/PICT0652.jpg

$75 well spent.....to let a pro do it. Enhances resale, better than spending $20 and ruining it. IMHO

jj

$75 ???? That looks damn nice.  For that I will consider letting someone else do it.  What kind of finish is that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top